Connectivity

Spikehines

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I would check with your doctor before scheduling a video appt while travelling. Your doctor visit by video may not be allowed.

Also, Medicare (Part 'B') doesn't cover care outside the US, so it could be allowed but not covered, depending on what travel insurance you may have.

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I would check with your doctor before scheduling a video appt while travelling. Your doctor visit by video may not be allowed. Some doctors will not do a video visit if you are outside the state they are licensed in and even less likely if you are out of the country. IME it is not even up to the individual doctor as the secure clinic/office portal they use will block a connection for an out of state or especially international video visit. You may not have an issue, but I would check.

This is excellent and I bet you're 100% correct. Maybe start a thread about this specifically? Thanks.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to hear.  What type of phone.    I have had T-Mobile for 10+ years using and iPhone and have never had to do a reboot to get it to work. 

Usually as soon as I tun off Airplane mode I get a text message welcoming me to the country and outlines the 5G connection and the cost to make a phone call of 25C per minute.

Cheap low memory Samsung Galaxy A03s. In the Caribbean last month no restarts needed. But have done in Canada, France, Japan and Thailand. 

14 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Cheap low memory Samsung Galaxy A03s. In the Caribbean last month no restarts needed. But have done in Canada, France, Japan and Thailand. 

Glad you found a work around.    I'm assuming it may be an issue with Android as both Iain and I have never had a problem and needed to power up and down.

I accidentally forgot to put my phone on Airplane mode on a SFO to Singapore flight.     My phone pinged on landing and said welcome to Indonesia and 5 minutes later welcome to Singapore then Welcome to Indonesia.   We were in a short holding pattern and going into both Indonesia and Singapore air space. 

• Haha 2

I don't know about Facetime but I used Facebook Messenger, Zoom, and Whats App video all with no problems. I usually used them in port with my T-Mobile or with the ship's internet but occasionally while at sea too. If you're at sea, it'll be hard to preschedule times because the internet does go in and out.

18 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I don't know about Facetime but I used Facebook Messenger, Zoom, and Whats App video all with no problems. I usually used them in port with my T-Mobile or with the ship's internet but occasionally while at sea too. If you're at sea, it'll be hard to preschedule times because the internet does go in and out.

Not in our experience on Vista. Internet was at least 95 percent reliable...almost zero in and out issues.

• Like 1

A geometrical truth...  Unless your ship is using a polar-orbit satellite relay (right now that means StarLink and only StarLink), the biggest factor in at-sea internet connectivity is ship's latitude.

Anyone know which ships O has deployed StarLink on so far?

One warning for those that will be on ships with Starlink.   There are a number of countries that haven't authorized Starlink in their country or waters as of yet.   Some of the countries i've read about on Celebrity that had Starlink disabled when in their waters was India, Vietnam and South Africa.    Elon Musk is working to create partnerships to allow access.   It is available in 70 countries.    When in those countries they had to use their old technology.