Seabourn cancels Israel stops for all of 2025

pyffii

On 11/7/2023 at 6:21 AM, goodvino808 said:

Was notified yesterday through my TA that 5/12/24 was not doing Israel and final call of port would be announced on 11/15 so next week.  Indicated Haifa was being moved to Athens.

I received my notification from Seabourn last night.  They replaced Ashdod with Rhodes and Haifa with Patmos.  I've been to Rhodes but neve been to Patmos so at least it's a new port.  I have no problem with doing Rhodes again either as I've not been to Lindos so there is still much to explore.  Looks like they are keeping Safaga, Sharm El Sheikh and Aqaba for now.  I'd be surprised if they stick with Aqaba in particular, but I've decided to take a ship's tour to Luxor and Petra so we should be protected against loss if they have to cancel last minute.  I've heard good things about the Luxor excursion so I'm excited to take it if SB thinks it's safe.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, safarigal said:

We haven't heard anything as yet about cancelling our stops in Haifa and Jerusalem on our November 2024 cruise. I expect we will hear something soon.

We received notification last night regarding the November 2024 Grand Africa cruise.  We were actually surprised that Seabourn made this decision over a year out but would rather know sooner than later so good on you, Seabourn, for being proactive. 

So the email states that they have cancelled all calls to Israel for 2024.  For this specific cruise, they have replaced the two Israel ports with stops in Antalya, Turkey and Limassol, Cyprus and as a bonus, added Chania, Crete.   And while we would have preferred Israel, we're good with the changes, especially since we've never been to any of these specific places. 

Nothing mentioned about Jordan or Egypt so for now, game on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babydrum said:

I received my notification from Seabourn last night.  They replaced Ashdod with Rhodes and Haifa with Patmos.  I've been to Rhodes but neve been to Patmos so at least it's a new port.  I have no problem with doing Rhodes again either as I've not been to Lindos so there is still much to explore.  Looks like they are keeping Safaga, Sharm El Sheikh and Aqaba for now.  I'd be surprised if they stick with Aqaba in particular, but I've decided to take a ship's tour to Luxor and Petra so we should be protected against loss if they have to cancel last minute.  I've heard good things about the Luxor excursion so I'm excited to take it if SB thinks it's safe.

Excellent!

I’m on the upcoming November cruise on the Encore.   Earlier the stop in Israel was cancelled and Rhodes was substituted. Notified yesterday that the stop in Petra and one of the Egypt stops have been cancelled with a second stop in both Oman and UAE substituted. Plus a couple of changes to the dates for other ports. Although fully supportive of the changes, it is still a bit disappointing.  Although understandable,  this will be a much different agenda than planned.

Seabourn has already refunded the excursions booked for the cancelled locations to my credit card.  I have been pleased with Seabourn’s responsiveness; however, for the two new ports they have not yet announced any excursions.  They indicated that they will have excursions to book once on board.

10 minutes ago, zelker said:

@NancyDrew1953  We were originally booked to do Athens to Singapore but cancelled earlier this summer, and now we're really glad we did.  So which Egypt port did they cancel?

It is the Sharm el Sheikh stop in Egypt that has been cancelled. We are still scheduled for Safaga (Luxor), but the date has now been changed.

As I mentioned, although disappointing, I am still looking forward to this cruise. — my first time on a small luxury ship, plus the Suez Canal!

I know that the cancellation of the stop for Petra will be a major disappointment for many.  Although I am not that well travelled, I’ve actually spent time in Jordan and at Petra, and for me, Petra falls into the category of “one and done”.  Everywhere else we are visiting, including the substituted ports, are new to me. All in all, I still very much anticipating the upcoming journey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zelker said:

So the email states that they have cancelled all calls to Israel for 2024.  For this specific cruise, they have replaced the two Israel ports with stops in Antalya, Turkey and Limassol, Cyprus and as a bonus, added Chania, Crete.   And while we would have preferred Israel, we're good with the changes, especially since we've never been to any of these specific places. 

Nothing mentioned about Jordan or Egypt so for now, game on.

We found Antalya to be one of our favorite forays into Turkey.  This was on an Azamara cruise more than 10 years ago, but the ship's excursion included Perge, Aspendos, the Antalya Archeology Museum and a quick shopping stop at a small bazaar.  Lots to do and see with your revised itinerary, have fun!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

I’m on the upcoming November cruise on the Encore.   Earlier the stop in Israel was cancelled and Rhodes was substituted. Notified yesterday that the stop in Petra and one of the Egypt stops have been cancelled with a second stop in both Oman and UAE substituted. Plus a couple of changes to the dates for other ports. Although fully supportive of the changes, it is still a bit disappointing.  Although understandable,  this will be a much different agenda than planned.

Seabourn has already refunded the excursions booked for the cancelled locations to my credit card.  I have been pleased with Seabourn’s responsiveness; however, for the two new ports they have not yet announced any excursions.  They indicated that they will have excursions to book once on board.

Better to be alive than dead I always think.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:33 AM, pyffii said:

Whilst I completely understand cancelling Israel,Jordan and Egypt for the immediate future I cannot understand why our cruise in May 2025 from Haifa has been rescheduled as of today.....leaving from Athens and stopping in Cyprus instead of leaving Haifa with a stop in Ashdod....Can anyone enlighten as to why ????

Being proactive to avoid all of the people on the other cruise lines bemoaning the fact that the one port they have always wanted to go to - and now they can’t go to - and will never sail with again issues.

Better to wait until things stabilize and give people time to plan accordingly.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

It is the Sharm el Sheikh stop in Egypt that has been cancelled. We are still scheduled for Safaga (Luxor), but the date has now been changed.

As I mentioned, although disappointing, I am still looking forward to this cruise. — my first time on a small luxury ship, plus the Suez Canal!

I know that the cancellation of the stop for Petra will be a major disappointment for many.  Although I am not that well travelled, I’ve actually spent time in Jordan and at Petra, and for me, Petra falls into the category of “one and done”.  Everywhere else we are visiting, including the substituted ports, are new to me. All in all, I still very much anticipating the upcoming journey.

I would be thrilled if we can at least keep Luxor.  I knew there was a chance that I would lose Israel, Jordan and Egypt when I booked this one to replace an Oceania cruise with 5 days in Israel but I've never been on a luxury cruise line so I'm looking forward to the overall experience as well.  I am so happy I cancelled the Oceania cruise because it doesn't even resemble the cruise I originally booked.  At least both cruise lines made the changes before final payment, so I do appreciate them giving everyone the itinerary early enough for to cancel without penalty.  My husband is so excited about this cruise and he has really amped me up about it

• Like 1

I'm starting to wonder whether Red Sea / Suez Canal transits are going questionable for cruise ships.  In the news today was a drone attack against a US warship in the Red Sea, launched from Yemen.  Piracy defense is one thing, but most cruise ships don't have anti-aircraft missile batteries.  Yemen, supplied by Iran, has dangerous arms than the Somali pirates did.  

13 minutes ago, curmudgeon98 said:

I'm starting to wonder whether Red Sea / Suez Canal transits are going questionable for cruise ships.  In the news today was a drone attack against a US warship in the Red Sea, launched from Yemen.  Piracy defense is one thing, but most cruise ships don't have anti-aircraft missile batteries.  Yemen, supplied by Iran, has dangerous arms than the Somali pirates did.  

Read that and wondered the same. 
The revised 2024 itineraries in this region must be top of mind to SB. This today throws yet another likely revision in planning itineraries. 
I was looking at 2025 itineraries in the Spring. Many still show Haifa, etc. I can only imagine all the behind the scenes going on to make all the needed changes.
I  wonder when we will start seeing the results of those changes. 

We are on the Quest's Grand Voyage in April to August.  We have received notice from Seabourn that the 2 ports in Israel have been replaced by Rhodes and Anatalya.  Not overly disappointed and quite willing to enjoy the ports that are safe and available.  Still waiting to hear about Tunisia and Egypt.  If these were cancelled, we would be disappointed.

If you have not been, both Rhodes and Anatalya are great places to explore. We booked a full day tour or Rhodes with a private guide a number of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the island. It had quite a bit to offer. We also enjoyed DIY in Anatalya - in doing that we may have missed some things but we enjoy those days.