Seabourn cancels Israel stops for all of 2025

pyffii

Whilst I completely understand cancelling Israel,Jordan and Egypt for the immediate future I cannot understand why our cruise in May 2025 from Haifa has been rescheduled as of today.....leaving from Athens and stopping in Cyprus instead of leaving Haifa with a stop in Ashdod....Can anyone enlighten as to why ????

4 hours ago, pyffii said:

Whilst I completely understand cancelling Israel,Jordan and Egypt for the immediate future I cannot understand why our cruise in May 2025 from Haifa has been rescheduled as of today.....leaving from Athens and stopping in Cyprus instead of leaving Haifa with a stop in Ashdod....Can anyone enlighten as to why ????

Most cruise itineraries are planned several years ahead.  Right now, there is a danger that the conflict will widen.  There are no signs that it will be over anytime soon.  I think it is a smart move on the part of Seabourn to plan ahead and not expect Israel to be a safe place to take guests in 2025.  A conflict like this one is not something that can be turned on and off.  This is the why explaining what Seabourn has done.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, pyffii said:

6 hours ago, pyffii said:

If you look at a map, you will see how close Ashdod is to Ashkelon, and then how close Ashkelon is to Gaza. At least eight embassies have pulled out of Israel for safety, which explains why Seabourn is anticipating the same dangers as are embassies. And if those facts don’t enlighten you sufficiently, turn on the news and you will learn that rockets are being lobbed in Northern Israel, and if you still have the map out, you will see that Haifa is in northern Israel.  Do you think it’s going to get better by 2025?  

I have always contended that if you ABSOLUTELY want to go somewhere, buy a plane ticket, not a cruise.

If going to Israel in 2025 is that critical, take a flight.  And if there aren't flights heading there, I guess the decision to cancel the cruise stops was a wise one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd imagine that the conflict in the middle east would be well and truly over by early 2024 at the latest and even then it would be over 12 months until the scheduled sailing so puzzled why the decision to cut so early....whilst I fully understand the dangers it still seems premature ....but I'm not too put out by the change as Cyprus is a nice alternative.....And yes should we wish to go to Israel we can just fly there when it suits and not rely on the cruise.

1 hour ago, pyffii said:

I'd imagine that the conflict in the middle east would be well and truly over by early 2024 at the latest and even then it would be over 12 months until the scheduled sailing so puzzled why the decision to cut so early....whilst I fully understand the dangers it still seems premature ....but I'm not too put out by the change as Cyprus is a nice alternative.....And yes should we wish to go to Israel we can just fly there when it suits and not rely on the cruise.

Perhaps you are not getting as much news about the conflict as we are getting in the United States.  Right now (late 2023)it looks intractable.  I doubt seriously that the area will be safe for tourists by early 2024.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually applaud SB for this early move. It provides you the option to easily cancel now if the revised itinerary does not work for you. What a great alternative, having secured ports in a region where there will be a lot of pressure in the near future with ships needing to make similar changes. And has been suggested, if unexpectedly and hopefully the war improves, it will likely open up previous port cancellations. It does appear that Athens is becoming the default for a lot of lines. All ports have a max capacity so that speaks to forward thinking. I wonder how Athens and the entire region will be able to respond with all these sudden changes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I actually applaud SB for this early move. It provides you the option to easily cancel now if the revised itinerary does not work for you. What a great alternative, having secured ports in a region where there will be a lot of pressure in the near future with ships needing to make similar changes. And has been suggested, if unexpectedly and hopefully the war improves, it will likely open up previous port cancellations. It does appear that Athens is becoming the default for a lot of lines. All ports have a max capacity so that speaks to forward thinking. I wonder how Athens and the entire region will be able to respond with all these sudden changes. 

.Seabourn have been very proactive announcing these changes to their 2025 programme, however there has been no information on 2024 cruises returning from the Far East. Obviously Israel Ports will  be cancelled but what about Egypt and Jordan? These are Ports for which many have booked just for this itinerary.  I believe several cruise lines including Windstar have cancelled their cruises through the Suez Canal from November through 2024. It would be good to have an indication as to what changes Seabourn have in mind for these Itineraries. Although we can change our cruise deposit to another cruise up to 90 days before the cruise is due to start, we don’t really want to lose the money on our BC fares to Dubai which are non-refundable. There must be quite a few guests that are in this situation.

50 minutes ago, Tallante said:

.Seabourn have been very proactive announcing these changes to their 2025 programme, however there has been no information on 2024 cruises returning from the Far East. Obviously Israel Ports will  be cancelled but what about Egypt and Jordan? These are Ports for which many have booked just for this itinerary.  I believe several cruise lines including Windstar have cancelled their cruises through the Suez Canal from November through 2024. It would be good to have an indication as to what changes Seabourn have in mind for these Itineraries. Although we can change our cruise deposit to another cruise up to 90 days before the cruise is due to start, we don’t really want to lose the money on our BC fares to Dubai which are non-refundable. There must be quite a few guests that are in this situation.

I am someone who books our own air fares, knowing that if departure/arrival ports change for any reason that it is my responsibility /loss.

If someone doesn’t want this responsibility/risk then they should book flights through Seabourn. If you want a guarantee of specific places to visit, book a land holiday instead of a cruise.

I am not looking to offend but I do think that many people on these boards feel entitled to the best of all worlds. My old Nana’s saying. “ you can’t have your cake and eat it “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

I am someone who books our own air fares, knowing that if departure/arrival ports change for any reason that it is my responsibility /loss.

If someone doesn’t want this responsibility/risk then they should book flights through Seabourn. If you want a guarantee of specific places to visit, book a land holiday instead of a cruise.

I am not looking to offend but I do think that many people on these boards feel entitled to the best of all worlds. My old Nana’s saying. “ you can’t have your cake and eat it “

Thank you for your reply.  I’m not wishing to offend either but I have sailed with Seabourn for over 12 years and know exactly what is my responsibility and what is not but it was nice of you to remind me. I do not feel entitled to the ‘best of both worlds”  as you so nicely put it,

During our cruises with Seabourn, mainly in the Far East and Australia, we have used Air Miles of which we had thousands from when my husband worked all over the World; I wasn’t aware that these could be used with Seabourn Air, perhaps could let me know if you they can be. Nowadays however I fly from Madrid, which we cannot book through Seabourn UK and therefore I take a cruise only fare.

The original post was solely regarding the announcement re 2025 cruises and why has there been no information re late 2923 and 2024 cruises in this area.  Nothing else.

3 hours ago, Tallante said:

Thank you for your reply.  I’m not wishing to offend either but I have sailed with Seabourn for over 12 years and know exactly what is my responsibility and what is not but it was nice of you to remind me. I do not feel entitled to the ‘best of both worlds”  as you so nicely put it,

During our cruises with Seabourn, mainly in the Far East and Australia, we have used Air Miles of which we had thousands from when my husband worked all over the World; I wasn’t aware that these could be used with Seabourn Air, perhaps could let me know if you they can be. Nowadays however I fly from Madrid, which we cannot book through Seabourn UK and therefore I take a cruise only fare.

The original post was solely regarding the announcement re 2025 cruises and why has there been no information re late 2923 and 2024 cruises in this area.  Nothing else.

With respect to your comment on late 2023 cruises, Seabourn has provided their plans.  I am on a Seabourn cruise later this month in this area. Right after the attack on Israel, Seabourn cancelled our stop there with a substitute planned in Greece (Rhodes).  Other than that, the schedule is unchanged and includes Egypt, Jordan, cruising the Suez Canal and onward.  

I haven’t been following what Seabourn is doing for the 2024 cruises, but for 2023, they have definitely sone a very good job of keeping the upcoming passengers informed based on my experience.

4 hours ago, Tallante said:

Since the 2024 itineraries were already set, SB is probably working on the changes and will announce when that is done.  

As another poster said, SB has informed cruisers about 2023 cruises.  

I think you may need to be patient--and tune in for some news from the US or perhaps from the BBC on this conflict.  

On 11/7/2023 at 6:21 AM, goodvino808 said:

Was notified yesterday through my TA that 5/12/24 was not doing Israel and final call of port would be announced on 11/15 so next week.  Indicated Haifa was being moved to Athens.

I haven't heard anything about my 5/2/24 cruise which includes Haifa, Ashdod, Safaga, Sharm El Sheik and Aqaba Jordan.  I would be thrilled if they only cancelled Israel because I'd still like to visit Luxor and Petra.  The 27 day Oceania cruise I was scheduled to take before switching to this one swapped almost every port and the Israel, Egypt and Jordan ports were replaced with mostly Greece, Croatia and Montenegro.  I could live with those ports as replacements on this cruise because I'm excited about the SE Asia portion of the cruise and just the SB experience in general but I would like to know.

Edited by babydrum

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Since the 2024 itineraries were already set, SB is probably working on the changes and will announce when that is done.  

As another poster said, SB has informed cruisers about 2023 cruises.  

I think you may need to be patient--and tune in for some news from the US or perhaps from the BBC on this conflict.  

I do realise the itineraries are already set.  It was merely an observation that on both cruise critic and Facebook it had been very quiet with comments.

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I have always contended that if you ABSOLUTELY want to go somewhere, buy a plane ticket, not a cruise.

If going to Israel in 2025 is that critical, take a flight.  And if there aren't flights heading there, I guess the decision to cancel the cruise stops was a wise one.

The problem with the flight may not be getting there but getting home!  I'd rather take my chances on a cruise ship because I don't believe they left many passengers behind when they fled Israel after the attacks.  I could be wrong but I do feel a certain amount of security in that aspect of cruising.  I often will follow up a cruise with a few land trips of ports that we stopped at that I'd like to explore more fully.  I certainly would have done that with Israel, but I won't be going there for a while.

3 hours ago, NancyDrew1953 said:

With respect to your comment on late 2023 cruises, Seabourn has provided their plans.  I am on a Seabourn cruise later this month in this area. Right after the attack on Israel, Seabourn cancelled our stop there with a substitute planned in Greece (Rhodes).  Other than that, the schedule is unchanged and includes Egypt, Jordan, cruising the Suez Canal and onward.  

I haven’t been following what Seabourn is doing for the 2024 cruises, but for 2023, they have definitely sone a very good job of keeping the upcoming passengers informed based on my experience.

That’s good news although I knew about the change to Rhodes as I have friends sailing on the same cruise. What prompted my post was a cruise on Windstar that another friend  was going on, due to leave 5 November Athens to Dubai which was totally cancelled along with, I believe, all other Windstar cruises in that area for 2024.  

I wish you a wonderful holiday.

59 minutes ago, Tallante said:

I do realise the itineraries are already set.  It was merely an observation that on both cruise critic and Facebook it had been very quiet with comments.

Because everyone knows this is out of the hands of Seabourn and out of the hands of all of us.  There is so much suffering going on in Israel and in Gaza--our concerns about cruise itineraries pale by comparison.  That is probably why there has been little comment.  Such a tragic and sad situation for everyone engulfed in that conflict.  

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Because everyone knows this is out of the hands of Seabourn and out of the hands of all of us.  There is so much suffering going on in Israel and in Gaza--our concerns about cruise itineraries pale by comparison.  That is probably why there has been little comment.  Such a tragic and sad situation for everyone engulfed in that conflict.  

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Well said.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:33 PM, pyffii said:

Because Seabourn wants to sell out the ship and no sane person is currently booking a cruise from Haifa, regardless of its departure date.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1