Curious about dinner attire

eileen226

First time sailing out of California.  Have been on many Caribbean cruises all leaving from Florida.  Hope this isn’t a silly question but do guests where similar type outfits when sailing out of California as they do in Florida  (sundresses, pants tropical shirts Bermuda shorts) or is it more formal or more laid back or about the same? We are sailing at the end of November early December and we’re curious if weather will be cooler and require warmer clothes.

thank you

41 minutes ago, eileen226 said:

We are sailing at the end of November early December and we’re curious if weather will be cooler and require warmer clothes.

thank you

To echo what Bruce said-- its more about the weather difference. There will be very little humidity (compared to Florida) and it will be cooler, especially once you set sail and are a few miles off coast. The ability to layer will be helpful. In terms of formality it might be a tad bit more country club casual than a Florida sailing due to the demographic (most likely has more in common with a sailing from NYC in the summer) but won't be materially different. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eileen226 said:

First time sailing out of California.  Have been on many Caribbean cruises all leaving from Florida.  Hope this isn’t a silly question but do guests where similar type outfits when sailing out of California as they do in Florida  (sundresses, pants tropical shirts Bermuda shorts) or is it more formal or more laid back or about the same? We are sailing at the end of November early December and we’re curious if weather will be cooler and require warmer clothes.

thank you

Well...We're well into November now...and the high today in Los Angeles is 78 Fahrenheit.  It CAN be fairly warm in SoCal even in December...OTOH, you could find yourself in one of our few brief rainy periods that occur in these winter months.  So, check the internet for 7 day forecasts before you complete your packing.  I'm a local and I am also cruising first week of December out of LA...and I plan on, as usual, packing shorts and T-Shirts for the day time and some longer pants and golf shirts for the evenings.  Remember, ON the ship, you are usually indoors...and it's typically air-conditioned, so, if that makes you feel cold, dress accordingly.  If the weather reports say we may encounter any rain or cooler weather, I'll add a windbreaker or sweatshirt to my luggage...You probably will never need any heavy jackets or real winter clothes in SoCal or West Coast Mexico.  (Of course, I was in Costco Woodland Hills yesterday and the entire clothes area was stocked in winter coats, snow pants, sweaters and thermal underwear.  I think someone up in Seattle buys for all the stores and thinks the weather everywhere is the same as the frigid North!)

As far as formality goes, SoCal is fairly laid back.  "Casual" works here.  Most restaurants won't look twice if you wear shorts and T-shirts to dinner.  people cruising from here are typically not the most formally attired.  Wear what makes you comfortable.  If your cruise line has a formal night or an "Evening Chic" night, or whatever, take that into account--if you want (always a little surprised at how many cruisers ignore that nowadays).

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2

it really depends on where in California & are you talking about in port or on the ship?

If you are cruising out of San Pedro or Long Beach you can be as casual as you wish pretty much anywhere (it is not unusual to see board shorts in Pedro year-round in any location, maybe with a long-sleeved T in the winter). I wear sandals & Ts year-round with maybe a hoodie or light weight jacket but others think it is cold, so it really varies based on what you are used to. if you are in San Diego, you might see people more dressed up to go out & in San Francisco you will & it will be substantially cooler (but still not New Jersey winter temps). But even there they will be used to tourists. 

For onboard you have already gotten a lot of good info, but one thing I noticed last year on our Hawai'i cruise was that even when it seemed too cold to use the pool there were a lot of people from cold weather places out enjoying it so what doesn't seem like pool weather to a California girl might feel wonderful coming from snow & coldness.

Best advice, bring something to layer over your tropical clothes but not your puffy winter jacket, boots & gloves (unless you need them for the trip out)