Question on upgrading myself

tigger54

So here is my question. My husband and I are going out on the Enchanted next month. We have an inside cabin with $335.00 obc. We are noticing the balcony prices have dropped quite a bit. If we wanted to move up to a balcony would we loose the obc from the inside? The balcony price is slightly lower than what we paid for the inside.

Thank you

It depends on the promo that resulted in you getting the OBC, but probably.  Do a dummy booking and see what you'd get for a new booking and then call your PVP or TA, if you used one.

You could also try putting in an upgrade bid for a balcony.

Edited by DCThunder

Instead of doing the cancel/rebook dance...why not consider making a healthy upgrade bid for that balcony?  I *think* you are allowed to keep your perks if you go that route.  Just watch closely what you bid to make sure that you don't overpay what you would have if you did cancel/rebook.  (Cancel/rebook may not even be an option if you are past final payment...)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Instead of doing the cancel/rebook dance...why not consider making a healthy upgrade bid for that balcony?  

If the new price for a balcony is less than what they paid for the inside, why make it " a healthy upgrade"  I would try a minimal bid first or call Princess (or the TA that has the booking) and see if they'll do an even swap while also keeping the OBC.  It's worth a try.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If the new price for a balcony is less than what they paid for the inside, why make it " a healthy upgrade"  I would try a minimal bid first or call Princess (or the TA that has the booking) and see if they'll do an even swap while also keeping the OBC.  It's worth a try.

I read the OP comment as the balcony was cheaper than what they'd seen at the time they booked the inside.  Not that the balcony was now cheaper than an inside.  I can't ever see that happening, but strange things do happen.

2 hours ago, tigger54 said:

The balcony price is slightly lower than what we paid for the inside.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I read the OP comment as the balcony was cheaper than what they'd seen at the time they booked the inside.  Not that the balcony was now cheaper than an inside.  I can't ever see that happening, but strange things do happen.

That last sentence is pretty clear.

actually the balcony is now cheaper than what I paid for the inside back in February. Also, right now as of today the inside is more than the balcony. 
My TA is on vacation for a week so I guess I will just stay where I am. It’s no big deal, we certainly don’t mind an inside cabin.

4 minutes ago, tigger54 said:

actually the balcony is now cheaper than what I paid for the inside back in February. Also, right now as of today the inside is more than the balcony. 
My TA is on vacation for a week so I guess I will just stay where I am. It’s no big deal, we certainly don’t mind an inside cabin.

Yeah, but a balcony is better.  Have you looked to see how many balconies are available?

1 hour ago, tigger54 said:

Not totally sure...but I think you can bid for an upgrade *without* your TA.

54 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not totally sure...but I think you can bid for an upgrade *without* your TA.

Yes you can bid for an upgrade. I’m doing that for a December Caribbean cruise & my T/A does not have to be involved at all. 

My cruise is 14 days & I’ve bid to go from a standard balcony on the Caribbean Deck on the Emerald Princess to a premium balcony for $100, (it’s $200) because I going solo, but having a sofa in the stateroom is a BIG plus. About $14 per day. 

I’ve had a bid excepted before & it was worth it. 

I just looked at the minimum bid for a Mini Suite is $1,270..No thank you. 

Traveling solo can be real expensive. At least one other cruise line is opening a number of staterooms at no additional charge. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Instead of doing the cancel/rebook dance...why not consider making a healthy upgrade bid for that balcony?  I *think* you are allowed to keep your perks if you go that route.  Just watch closely what you bid to make sure that you don't overpay what you would have if you did cancel/rebook.  (Cancel/rebook may not even be an option if you are past final payment...)

I totally agree. Do the math and put in a bid to upgrade to a balcony. The freedom that comes with having a balcony to hang out on is definitely worth spending a few extra $$.

Have you received an email to bid for an upgrade? 
If not, is there someone else who works with your TA who can contact Princess?
I am also booked on the Enchanted in December, and I've noticed that the available cabins are disappearing quickly. I did receive the upgrade email for the December 8th sailing.
Good Luck! A balcony in the Caribbean is so worth it - I hope you get it!

4 hours ago, tigger54 said:

Does your TA work alone?  Most TA's I would think would have a backup as that is a long time to have nothing done for clients who may need something taken care of.  Call the agency - presuming there are others there - and explain situation and that you need someone to take action now and not wait until next week.  Both discount agencies I would use in the US have back-up when TA is off or away.

• Like 1

Yes I know We can upgrade without my TA but it’s so much more than just the advertised price so I don’t really want to go that route but I do thank everyone for all of your advise. We will check and see if there is another TA we can work with.