Walking sticks and P&O

Megabear2

I received an email from P&O regarding disability access for our January cruise on Britannia. I had previously had assistance for myself following an accident which made standing difficult at that time but as I am now fully recovered did no complete any request for the upcoming cruise.

Subsequently I received another email stating (my bold):

"It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need:

a)    An evacuation chair – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair or mobility scooter.

or

b)    One-to-one assistance – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance."

As my husband suffers from fibromyalgia and very occasionally uses a walking stick - he normally doesn't even take it on holiday - I have replied to that effect, now I'm being asked for more details but I've none to offer.

Any other people who use walking sticks had this and if so what did you tell P&O?

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I received an email from P&O regarding disability access for our January cruise on Britannia. I had previously had assistance for myself following an accident which made standing difficult at that time but as I am now fully recovered did no complete any request for the upcoming cruise.

"It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need:

a)    An evacuation chair – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who is unable to use the stairs due to mobility or other circumstances, or for anyone bringing a wheelchair or mobility scooter.

or

b)    One-to-one assistance – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance."

As my husband suffers from fibromyalgia and very occasionally uses a walking stick - he normally doesn't even take it on holiday - I have replied to that effect, now I'm being asked for more details but I've none to offer.

Any other people who use walking sticks had this and if so what did you tell P&O?

Thank you.

Surely you are his one to one assistance. 

• Like 1

I've arthritic knees and problems with my balance so I would very probably need someone to steady me while descending stairs in an emergency. 

So I have requested assistance, completed and emailed the form back to P&O but I still had this email which included the paragraph :

"Recently, some guests have arrived at the terminal with specific on board needs that they did not make us aware of prior to their holiday. Unfortunately, to ensure we have sufficient capability to support all our guests at all times, this meant those guests were unable to board the ship. "

A couple of cruises back I sent a completed request for assistance form back to P&O only to find when I asked for assisted boarding at Southampton they had no record of my request. However while on board they did seem to have my request on file and I was asked to attend an assessment to determine if I was capable of using the ships tender to disembark.

So while boarding they had no record of my  request, then while onboard they did have my request.

A bit worrying. 

Edited by GOQ
added
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Surely you are his one to one assistance. 

I thought that but apparently not.  I've replied twice and they have asked for further details.  Short of sending them a video of him playing rugby at Twickenham last month I can't think what else to offer.  I've provided the details our GP had on file and which I used for our insurance but it seems they will "be in contact again shortlu".

1 hour ago, GOQ said:

I've arthritic knees and problems with my balance so I would very probably need someone to steady me while descending stairs in an emergency. 

So I have requested assistance, completed and emailed the form back to P&O but I still had this email which included the paragraph :

"Recently, some guests have arrived at the terminal with specific on board needs that they did not make us aware of prior to their holiday. Unfortunately, to ensure we have sufficient capability to support all our guests at all times, this meant those guests were unable to board the ship. "

A couple of cruises back I sent a completed request for assistance form back to P&O only to find when I asked for assisted boarding at Southampton they had no record of my request. However while on board they did seem to have my request on file and I was asked to attend an assessment to determine if I was capable of using the ships tender to disembark.

So while boarding they had no record of my  request, then while onboard they did have my request.

A bit worrying. 

We have also received this E-mail, and have asked our T/A to deal with it, and to confirm all is in order, giving them a copy of the filled in, accessibility form

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GOQ said:

A bit worrying. 

That happen to us in September. I completed the assistance form and sent it in on behalf of my mother and I know they had received it as I had a reply, informing me that they had updated the form and I needed to fill in the updated version. I did, attached it to an e-mail informing them of my mother's allergy. I received a confirmation of my e-mail also saying that they had noted my mother allergy. 

When we arrived at Southampton, her name was not on the list of people who had booked assistance. They were adament that I had not sent in the request. If I had had access to my e-mails at check in I could have proved to them that I had. On arrival in our cabin there was a letter regarding her allergy. Howcome half of the e-mail was dealt with?

My mother was very upset about this situation and with the letter she was handed at check in. I said I was going to e-mail a complaint when we arrived home, but due to illness on my return I didn't.

I have since wondered if it had gone through in my name as I sent the email!

I sense that its possible to complicate this sort of issue by overthinking it.

I'm guessing that someone who played rugby a month ago without one-to-one assistance probably doesn't routinely need assistance getting on and off a cruise ship.

And if he doesn't normally take a walking stick on holiday, it strikes me that it's asking for trouble (and probably diverting scarce assistance resources from someone who really needs them) to tell P&O that he's a walking stick user.  Surely, the better way to deal with this is to asses how his condition is immediately before each cruise and then, if it has flared up such that he needs to use a walking stick, tell P&O that on a case-by-case basis?  They must be used to people notifying them days before a cruise, because sod's law says that there will always be someone who ends up in plaster or something similar just a couple of days before they travel.  These people will fall into a category of people who, potentially, may need assistance on a case-by-case basis, rather than those who will certainly need it every time. And it sounds like that's the correct category for your husband as well.  If this were me, I'd get back in touch with P&O, explain that and tell them that the original notification was an error.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

I sense that its possible to complicate this sort of issue by overthinking it.

I'm guessing that someone who played rugby a month ago without one-to-one assistance probably doesn't routinely need assistance getting on and off a cruise ship.

And if he doesn't normally take a walking stick on holiday, it strikes me that it's asking for trouble (and probably diverting scarce assistance resources from someone who really needs them) to tell P&O that he's a walking stick user.  Surely, the better way to deal with this is to asses how his condition is immediately before each cruise and then, if it has flared up such that he needs to use a walking stick, tell P&O that on a case-by-case basis?  They must be used to people notifying them days before a cruise, because sod's law says that there will always be someone who ends up in plaster or something similar just a couple of days before they travel.  These people will fall into a category of people who, potentially, may need assistance on a case-by-case basis, rather than those who will certainly need it every time. And it sounds like that's the correct category for your husband as well.  If this were me, I'd get back in touch with P&O, explain that and tell them that the original notification was an error.

Exactly what I've done on two occasions.  This cruise was booked onboard Arvia when I was travelling alone but had requested assistance following an accident. On booking I stated no one needed assistance  however an email turned up with the form 72 hours after booking. I ignored it.  July the email mentioned by others arrived and I again ignored it.  September another email and form.  I thought another error and this time I emailed to state so, ie no longer needed assistance for myself and my husband has never been registered with P&O.  Nothing but a we will be in touch email.  Monday I receive the "standard" email again so again emailed as follows:

"

Good morning.  I have received yet another email regarding disability which I believe may have been sent due to a previous requirement for the cruise I was on at the time of booking the upcoming one, I believe in error  For the sake of clarity I confirm the following:

Mrs X has no mobility issues.  At the time of her last cruise on Arvia where assistance was requested this related to recovering from a recent injury which made standing in line for long periods difficult.  This request was for access to a seat at Southampton port while waiting to check in and nothing more. She is now fully recovered from the fall which necessitated that assistance.

Mr X suffers from fibromyalgia but has no mobility issues which prevent him from undertaking normal daily activities. Occasionally if he has a flare up he may use a walking stick but this is rare.  He does not need any form of help or support for this.

I hope this clarifies and completes the information you have requested. I would be grateful for your email confirmation that this issue is now concluded."

Today an email asking for further information  ... hence my what more do they want question.  

I agree with you completely this is a waste of time and energy but they simply won't give up.

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

or

Thank you.

As you say he doesn't normally take it on holiday so he is unlikely to require assistance. DW takes a walking pole with her, not for use on board, but as she has tripped up several times on uneven surfaces, it steadies her and gives her confidence. So far she has not been dobbed in to P&O.

7 hours ago, amajaa said:

Yes we got an email as well and don't need any assistance and never have. I assumed they must be sending out to everyone 

On our first cruise over ten years ago I received an email from P&O a couple of week before sailing informing me that I could not take my mobility scooter into my cabin, what! It made me think what sort of holiday we've booked. I imagined arriving at Southampton and it would be like queueing for a ferry at Dover, people queuing in lines but instead of cars mobility scooters.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GOQ said:

A bit worrying. 

Don’t worry. I think everyone who requests assistance gets this email.  We have. Our TA had already warned us that P&O are enforcing the rules regarding assistance at Southampton. Maybe too many people were just turning up and asking for assistance. I would suggest either printing your confirmation email or having it on your phone. 

I too have now received the following e-mail.

Dear Mrs ...........

We’re looking forward to welcoming you on board Azura.

As you are due to sail with us next year, we want to share some information that may be important for you to know before your holiday.

When it comes to what you're looking for in a holiday (great dining and entertainment, stunning destinations and fun activities on board and ashore for everyone), we think we know you pretty well. But it’s your responsibility to make sure we also know you well when it comes to any individual additional support you may require.

Recently, some guests have arrived at the terminal with specific on board needs that they did not make us aware of prior to their holiday. Unfortunately, to ensure we have sufficient capability to support all our guests at all times, this meant those guests were unable to board the ship.

We’re reminding you that you must inform us of any mobility or accessibility requirements when making a booking or as soon as possible after your booking is made. This is still applicable if a carer or companion will be supporting you during your time on board. Failure to notify us of these requirements may result in you being denied boarding at your own expense at the cruise terminal.

It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need:

or

b)    One-to-one assistance – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance.

Please visit My P&O Cruises for more information and, if necessary, to complete the questionnaire (or send us a new one if things have changed since your booking). Please note that you must complete a new questionnaire each time you sail with us, so this applies for all future bookings that you have.

You can email accessibility@carnivalukgroup.com for further guidance or, if you’ve booked through a travel agent, your agent will be happy to help. If you’re still unsure, you can call the P&O Cruises Customer Contact Centre on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply).

We'd like to wish you a wonderful holiday. Thank you for choosing P&O Cruises.

FIND OUT MORE »

By clicking through to the complete quesionnaire it then takes me to MY PO login,and am unable to proceed past the first page as like Megabear my OH only uses a walking stick occasionally, i.e. when walking long distances (from check in to the aircraft steps) but does not require any other assistance. 

• Like 1

It looks like they are sending the email to everyone who has a cruise booked, as I've just had one for each of the two cruises that I have booked for 2024, though I'm lucky enough to be fully able-bodied. But of course it's not impossible that I could be in some accident between now and going on the cruise that would impact on my mobility, and it's understandable that P&O should want to be alerted in advance of the cruise should that happen.

Looking at paras a) and b) of the email, they only want to be informed if you would need an evacuation chair or one-to-one assistance in the event of an emergency, so I don't think that the occasional use of a walking stick if walking long distances would require informing P&O.

Edited by jh1809
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Dear Mrs ...........

As you are due to sail with us next year, we want to share some information that may be important for you to know before your holiday.

When it comes to what you're looking for in a holiday (great dining and entertainment, stunning destinations and fun activities on board and ashore for everyone), we think we know you pretty well. But it’s your responsibility to make sure we also know you well when it comes to any individual additional support you may require.

Recently, some guests have arrived at the terminal with specific on board needs that they did not make us aware of prior to their holiday. Unfortunately, to ensure we have sufficient capability to support all our guests at all times, this meant those guests were unable to board the ship.

We’re reminding you that you must inform us of any mobility or accessibility requirements when making a booking or as soon as possible after your booking is made. This is still applicable if a carer or companion will be supporting you during your time on board. Failure to notify us of these requirements may result in you being denied boarding at your own expense at the cruise terminal.

It's vital to inform us if, for example, in the unlikely event of an emergency, you would need:

or

b)    One-to-one assistance – this is a mandatory requirement for anyone who requires someone to guide and steady them on the stairs, due to mobility or other circumstances. For anyone who uses a mobility aid, such as a walking stick or walker, this is the recommended level of assistance.

Please visit My P&O Cruises for more information and, if necessary, to complete the questionnaire (or send us a new one if things have changed since your booking). Please note that you must complete a new questionnaire each time you sail with us, so this applies for all future bookings that you have.

You can email accessibility@carnivalukgroup.com for further guidance or, if you’ve booked through a travel agent, your agent will be happy to help. If you’re still unsure, you can call the P&O Cruises Customer Contact Centre on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply).

FIND OUT MORE »

By clicking through to the complete quesionnaire it then takes me to MY PO login,and am unable to proceed past the first page as like Megabear my OH only uses a walking stick occasionally, i.e. when walking long distances (from check in to the aircraft steps) but does not require any other assistance. 

I have received that message today for my March cruise. Ironically if I filled it in now a week after a new hip the answers will be different to what I would put in a few months. In reply to MB's question I will be telling P&O nothing as I believe it could open a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, purplesea said:

Dear Mrs ...........

or

FIND OUT MORE »

Think this is a standard e mail being sent to everyone who has a cruise booked whether needing assistance or not. We received one today for our cruise in April and we have never asked for assistance and don't need it. Think P&O are just covering themselves because people haven't mentioned anything until they got to the port and they have been refused boarding.