Panorama Nov-Dec 2023 sailings cancelled!

weezal

On 12/29/2023 at 9:14 AM, LaRue1975 said:

Edited to add you might want to lower your expectations for a flawless boarding. With the packed Christmas cruise debarking and the packed New Years cruise embarking there are likely going to be some challenges. Add in the predicted rain tomorrow too, just pack your patience. Once we are all on board it will be smooth sailing down to sunny, warm Mexico, can’t wait! 

Any person who expects anything to be "flawless" while traveling is only setting themselves up for disappointment.  IMO the key to enjoying yourself while traveling is to assume that at least a few things aren't going to go your way, cope with them when they happen, and don't let it ruin your trip.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 6:00 PM, staceyglow said:

Any person who expects anything to be "flawless" while traveling is only setting themselves up for disappointment.  IMO the key to enjoying yourself while traveling is to assume that at least a few things aren't going to go your way, cope with them when they happen, and don't let it ruin your trip.

Absolutely! Embarkation was far from flawless due the unprecedented king tides we have been having in California. The ship had to be docked a bit farther from the dock than normal and the ramp from the gangway to the ship was unstable. They were only sending 25 people at a time on the gangway and there were 4700 coming on board and 4900 departing. We noticed the tide was starting to go out after we boarded early with platinum status and it did start going faster later in the process. The cruise so far has more than met our expectations once on board and we are having a fabulous time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just back from the Dec 30th sailing on the Panorama. 

Well, no flawless embarkation. Weather did have a factor. We had a suite and should have been able to enjoy the lounge before boarding. No, it was full. Waited like cattle to board.

I do not give Carnival any glowing points. The shows were less than entertaining, the food was mediocre,  Havana bar played the same very loud music every single night, the Havana pool was drained during one port day and part of a sea day, water in one hot tub in Havana area was so hot very few people got in, we all mentioned the temperature, nothing was done to lower the temperature. The Havana pool was cold, no one used it. 

Disembarkation was just a cluster. The crew acted as if they had never done this before. 

Our cabin person was very helpful and a bright spot in a cruise that was disappointing. Lesson learned, no more Carnival for us.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good grief, give me a break. Nothing but complaining all around is no review. 

Mind you the ship was only recently back from having been out of service for weeks, so cut the crew a little slack at least as they get used to it all again.

Not to mention back to back holiday cruises for their first ones back...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ginona said:

Well, no flawless embarkation. Weather did have a factor. We had a suite and should have been able to enjoy the lounge before boarding. No, it was full. Waited like cattle to board.

I do not give Carnival any glowing points. The shows were less than entertaining, the food was mediocre,  Havana bar played the same very loud music every single night, the Havana pool was drained during one port day and part of a sea day, water in one hot tub in Havana area was so hot very few people got in, we all mentioned the temperature, nothing was done to lower the temperature. The Havana pool was cold, no one used it. 

Disembarkation was just a cluster. The crew acted as if they had never done this before. 

Our cabin person was very helpful and a bright spot in a cruise that was disappointing. Lesson learned, no more Carnival for us.  

Thank you for your review.  I appreciate it, even if no one else does.

I'm sorry your cruise wasn't better.  This doesn't sound like the Carnival I know.  But I won't make excuses for them or any individual.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ginona said:

We were on the same sailing with a party of 9 (with 3 young boys) and to us, embarkation wasn’t bad; we live in california so we always choose the last time slot so we can sleep in as much as possible. 
We arrived in LBC at 2, and we’re on the ship by 2:45. (We just sat on the benches outside the terminal and then walked through when they called us up)

the cruise itself, everyone loved (7 of the party were first timers, my wife and I are platinum) dinner took 2 hours each night (this is to be expected with a group of 9, and we enjoyed it as we all talked and laughed)

sadly there were only three actual shows (Soulbound, Rock Revolution, Celestial Strings) which was weird for an 8 day voyage. 
Debarkation was actually the best I’d ever seen for LBC! We were out of our cabin at 8:30, up to lido to get food and they called our muster station at 10am (B3) and we took the fwd elevator down to deck 4 and got in the line (which continually moved) that snaked around the atrium and out the starboard side of liquid lounge (never seen them do that before)

I suppose if you wanted to get ON and OFF the ship ASAP this might be an issue..but..it’s a vacation, we were in no rush.

Edited by KarmaCruisers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ginona said:

Thank you for your review.  Folks get trounced if they share the negatives but the negatives do matter, so thank you for speaking up.   My buddy was on the same cruise and mentioned disembarking was the worst they've experienced.  Overall, they had a good time but are also done with Carnival for now.

• Like 3

I wasn't going to leave a review of our Christmas cruise, but since others have posted I figured I would add my 2 cents worth.

The ship was decorated nicely, and the Christmas Spirit was evident.  The dress code seemed to be "anything goes" since it was Christmas, which didn't bother us too much on regular nights. Multiple families, some of 12+ dressed up in coordinated pajamas for dinner was fun.  But then the crew allowed non-festive sleeveless shirts and swim suits on Elegant night, I was disappointed & it killed the atmosphere.

The crew did seem a bit overwhelmed and rusty. Things just seemed to be not kept up to normal levels anyone would expect.  The security for the Havanna area didn’t seem very strict.  We walked through numerous times thinking we shouldn’t be allowed here.

Our room was deck 14 and was told it would be more secluded, but more than once had teenagers running through the halways that I’m pretty sure were not supposed to be there,  Also had kids in the Cloud 9 Spa itself which I thought was adults only. Having a 12 year old in the Cloud 9 spa area was almost as disspointing as the loudly talking 600+ lb beast of a man that seemed to live in there. 

Others have stated the regular food was average and I have to agree.  The Christmas Gala meal was noted as being special, but it was not all that great in choices or flavor.  Luckily we went to Guys Pig & Anchor one night and it was fabulous. Had Teppanyaki for lunch on last day and that was wonderful.as well.

The shows were nice but nothing that made me want to stand for the entirety as every show seemed to be standing room only. We learned and decided to be 2 hours early for the next show and we did get seats. Between the performers & the musicians constantly moving around into the guest areas, and the trippy images on the background screen floating all over & changing all the time – it was just too much. The show was nice & the performers totally sang their hearts out, but every song was so overly dramatic that I was exhausted by the end of it.

The ship was rocking heavily on the last two days.  Crew members were getting sick and unable to work.  Made me think this was a very green crew, which could explain why it was not kept up as expected. I think maybe they also weren’t sure about the security or how to kindly approach people?

It was the CD’s first cruise as CD – Marcella, and she did fine.  She was energetic, fun and super friendly.

Overall, it was great fun, as it was Christmas and we waited for over a year for this cruise and we were going to have fun no matter what.  Just the no-rules dress code on elegant nights and a green crew – getting sick and being new - left us thinking of what could have been.

• Thanks 2

After the New Years cruise I am still on board for a relaxing second week. We were a group of 10 celebrating my hubby’s 70th birthday and we all had a fabulous time in the Havana area and around the ship. All of our friends were either new to cruising or Carnival. Was it perfect? Of course not but any problems were minor and most were resolved. The Havana experience exceeded all expectations, it was absolutely perfect for us. We were well taken care of by Enrique and the rest of the bartenders and staff. The pool was cold, the Pacific Ocean is always cold so we were not excepting it to be warm. It was drained and closed for an emergency repair on the morning we were in Cabo but was fixed and full by the time we returned in the afternoon. One of the hot tubs was excessively warm one day and I can confirm staff was advised but not sure if it was fixed. The weather was great considering it was winter, California and the Mexican Riviera are not the Caribbean. 

I did hear of problems with service and food in the MDR but we didn’t have any issues most nights. One night it took them at least 20 minutes to even acknowledge us but after firmly bringing it their attention our server appeared to take our order and the food came out fast. In the Steakhouse we were seated at a large table next to the piano bar which would have been fine but it was obnoxiously loud. We did complain the minute we sat down, asked to be seated at a different table or for the wall be closed to the bar. We were insistent that it was going to ruin our dining experience and by the time the wine was served they closed the wall which we greatly appreciated. The meal and service were excellent after the shaky start.

Dinner in the Teppanyaki Grill was the highlight meal of the cruise. Food, drinks, chef, service all great, what a fun night! The last night we had dinner at the Cocina which was a hit too except my hubby’s short rib which was dry and tough. I heard a lot about that after, lol! The feedback on the breakfast and sea day brunch was not positive from our friends, there was definitely a problem there with the service and food. We never go the MDR for breakfast anyway so that didn’t effect us. In addition to the Blue Iguana and the buffet the breakfast sandwiches from room service were surprisingly good. 

At least some us went to all the production shows, never lined up early and enjoyed them. There were only three Playlist Productions, Soulbound, Rock Revolution and Celestial Strings. Two nights they had a Comedy Showcase in the main showroom. We went the last night and the comedian was fantastic, we were laughing the entire time. I wish they would do this every cruise, lining up outside the Comedy Club for every show is not for us. 

We gathered in the Havana Bar for drinks every night before dinner but didn’t spend time in there when the band was playing because it was too loud. I think the space is way too small for a band that size which is a shame because they were good. Plenty of other people in there every night though, maybe I just need ear plugs! 

I booked the Tailgate Party cooking class for our group as a thank you for joining us. It was definitely not perfect. In addition to the 10 of us there was a family with three kids. The teenage boy was fine but the two younger girls were running around and kept playing in the sinks. I was surprised to see the kids in the first place and blame both the parents and Carnival staff for not taking control of the situation. We were cooking with hot oil and skillets, it was not appropriate for them to be there. The chef was not great at teaching the class either but I think the situation with the kids was throwing him off too. I thought the whole thing was a bit of a train wreck and the food was bland with no spice at all. We all managed to have fun anyway and our friends insisted they enjoyed it but Carnival will definitely be hearing about it when I get my survey. 

Everyone LOVED our cruise director Deon, his parties were over the top good, especially the 80s Rock and Glow Party and the New Years Eve Party was top notch too. Best NYE celebration I’ve seen and it was hubby’s 70th birthday so we are usually doing something festive. He also stopped and visited with our group for quite awhile one night and gave a shout to hubby acknowledging his 70th birthday during the atrium party later that night. He is very warm and personable and was always out and about around the ship, not sure where he gets all that energy! 

Well, that’s all I can think of, didn’t intend to write a review. We are up on the lido deck now, it’s definitely not as quiet as Havana. We are surrounded by door slammers and loud voices which just confirms every cruise is different, even on the same ship. We’re still having fun, looking forward to Cabo again tomorrow! 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

After the New Years cruise I am still on board for a relaxing second week. We were a group of 10 celebrating my hubby’s 70th birthday and we all had a fabulous time in the Havana area and around the ship. All of our friends were either new to cruising or Carnival. Was it perfect? Of course not but any problems were minor and most were resolved. The Havana experience exceeded all expectations, it was absolutely perfect for us. We were well taken care of by Enrique and the rest of the bartenders and staff. The pool was cold, the Pacific Ocean is always cold so we were not excepting it to be warm. It was drained and closed for an emergency repair on the morning we were in Cabo but was fixed and full by the time we returned in the afternoon. One of the hot tubs was excessively warm one day and I can confirm staff was advised but not sure if it was fixed. The weather was great considering it was winter, California and the Mexican Riviera are not the Caribbean. 

I did hear of problems with service and food in the MDR but we didn’t have any issues most nights. One night it took them at least 20 minutes to even acknowledge us but after firmly bringing it their attention our server appeared to take our order and the food came out fast. In the Steakhouse we were seated at a large table next to the piano bar which would have been fine but it was obnoxiously loud. We did complain the minute we sat down, asked to be seated at a different table or for the wall be closed to the bar. We were insistent that it was going to ruin our dining experience and by the time the wine was served they closed the wall which we greatly appreciated. The meal and service were excellent after the shaky start.

Dinner in the Teppanyaki Grill was the highlight meal of the cruise. Food, drinks, chef, service all great, what a fun night! The last night we had dinner at the Cocina which was a hit too except my hubby’s short rib which was dry and tough. I heard a lot about that after, lol! The feedback on the breakfast and sea day brunch was not positive from our friends, there was definitely a problem there with the service and food. We never go the MDR for breakfast anyway so that didn’t effect us. In addition to the Blue Iguana and the buffet the breakfast sandwiches from room service were surprisingly good. 

At least some us went to all the production shows, never lined up early and enjoyed them. There were only three Playlist Productions, Soulbound, Rock Revolution and Celestial Strings. Two nights they had a Comedy Showcase in the main showroom. We went the last night and the comedian was fantastic, we were laughing the entire time. I wish they would do this every cruise, lining up outside the Comedy Club for every show is not for us. 

We gathered in the Havana Bar for drinks every night before dinner but didn’t spend time in there when the band was playing because it was too loud. I think the space is way too small for a band that size which is a shame because they were good. Plenty of other people in there every night though, maybe I just need ear plugs! 

I booked the Tailgate Party cooking class for our group as a thank you for joining us. It was definitely not perfect. In addition to the 10 of us there was a family with three kids. The teenage boy was fine but the two younger girls were running around and kept playing in the sinks. I was surprised to see the kids in the first place and blame both the parents and Carnival staff for not taking control of the situation. We were cooking with hot oil and skillets, it was not appropriate for them to be there. The chef was not great at teaching the class either but I think the situation with the kids was throwing him off too. I thought the whole thing was a bit of a train wreck and the food was bland with no spice at all. We all managed to have fun anyway and our friends insisted they enjoyed it but Carnival will definitely be hearing about it when I get my survey. 

Everyone LOVED our cruise director Deon, his parties were over the top good, especially the 80s Rock and Glow Party and the New Years Eve Party was top notch too. Best NYE celebration I’ve seen and it was hubby’s 70th birthday so we are usually doing something festive. He also stopped and visited with our group for quite awhile one night and gave a shout to hubby acknowledging his 70th birthday during the atrium party later that night. He is very warm and personable and was always out and about around the ship, not sure where he gets all that energy! 

Well, that’s all I can think of, didn’t intend to write a review. We are up on the lido deck now, it’s definitely not as quiet as Havana. We are surrounded by door slammers and loud voices which just confirms every cruise is different, even on the same ship. We’re still having fun, looking forward to Cabo again tomorrow! 

Were y’all at the big round table right up front in the MDR? We saw the same group there each night…

7 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Were y’all at the big round table right up front in the MDR? We saw the same group there each night…

No, the first night we were at a long table in the back of deck 3. We had good service so requested to be seated with the same crew NYE but ended up at a long table on deck 4. The service there was even better. I think we sat at a different table every night and when there were only 6 or 7 of us we got round tables. The service was best when all 10 of us were there but it was never bad. 

• 2 weeks later...