Panorama Nov-Dec 2023 sailings cancelled!

weezal

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yikes.  Guess the issue is serious enough to warrant pulling a whole month's worth of sailings!  Will she have to go into dry dock, and where would that be, I wonder?

Portland has a drydock facility that has been used before for other ships and other cruise lines. If the ship can not fit there, i wont be surprised if they use another heavy lift vessel like what they used for the vista many years ago 

32 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yikes.  Guess the issue is serious enough to warrant pulling a whole month's worth of sailings!  Will she have to go into dry dock, and where would that be, I wonder?

If it is an azipod issue, then likely a dry dock.  If it is an engine problem, then likely not.

20 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Portland has a drydock facility that has been used before for other ships and other cruise lines. If the ship can not fit there, i wont be surprised if they use another heavy lift vessel like what they used for the vista many years ago 

Vista's use of the heavy lift ship was coordinated months in advance.  This would all depend on whether there is a heavy lift ship available, and further, where in the world that ship is, and how long it takes to get to where the Panorama is.  They are not notoriously fast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They knew about this at least on Sunday. Why wait all week to make an announcement.

30 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Probably trying to secure drydock space somewhere at the last minute. 

Indeed, tough to make an announcement on Sunday/Monday when they have nothing to state other than "the ship will probably be out of service for an indeterminant amount of time, probably starting when it returns from the current sailing."  And then have to follow-up with another more specific announcement - better to make just one announcement, if timing allows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, john91498 said:

bummer, she's a great ship

My favorite also . . . would have done 3 on her also had Covid not raised it ugly head. Now I'm no longer close to LB (Texas now) so I'll probably not get another chance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glrounds said:

My favorite also . . . would have done 3 on her also had Covid not raised it ugly head. Now I'm no longer close to LB (Texas now) so I'll probably not get another chance

Been on her 4 times and enjoyed every cruise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yikes.  Guess the issue is serious enough to warrant pulling a whole month's worth of sailings!  Will she have to go into dry dock...

Brand Ambassador John Heald mentioned in his video that the Panorama will indeed be going into dry dock.  He didn't say where.

Here are some back-of-the envelope calculations on how expensive this repair is going to be:

• 2000 cabins X $2000 average fare per cabin = $4 million
  • $4 million X 4 weeks = $16 million
  • $500 average onboard spend per person per cruise X 4000 passengers X 4 weeks = $8 million
  • $16 million X 75% average FCC per cabin = $12 million

So far I get $36 million, which doesn't include flight refunds or the actual cost of the repairs.  It also doesn't include the reduced expenses (like food and fuel) for the cruises that aren't happening, which I assume are a lot less than $36 million.

TL,DR:  It's a substantial hit to the bottom line.  No wonder why TPTB delayed making a decision on this.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

That title made me think all of December was canceled. Just one in December is much better.

depending on progress of repairs, it's certainly possible. i wouldn't count on any dec sailings for pano.

So as some of you know from the other thread, our extended family is directly impacted. Folks are arriving from 3 separate cities.

We feel blessed. Within minutes, I was on the phone with our PVP. She dropped everything and was incredibly fortunate to get us onto the Radiance replacing what had been a 6 nighter with the 4 night Catalina/Ensenada run.  All those cabins were snapped up in way less than an hour.  Had she not HELD them, we wouldn't have had enough time to make the necessary phone calls. We've added a hotel night in So. Cal after the cruise to no airline reservations need changing. And we might precede the cruise with a trip to the Grand Canyon, something my future SIL has yet to see. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

They knew about this at least on Sunday. Why wait all week to make an announcement.

maybe they knew they had an issue, but not till today understood how bad the issue was?  I doubt they knew they would have to cancel sailings and just decided to sit on it....but that is just MHO

• Like 2