Remembrance Day 2 mins silence at 11 am on 11/11.

13 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Very interesting. It's not really a thing at all in New Zealand. Virtually ignored. 

When we were in Auckland in November 2018, the War Memorial Museum had the magnificent Fields of Remembrance honouring New Zealand's dead in WW1. It was amazing,

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

When we were in Auckland in November 2018, the War Memorial Museum had the magnificent Fields of Remembrance honouring New Zealand's dead in WW1. It was amazing,

I always felt the Auckland Museum was special because it was a War Memorial Museum.  I wondered if original donations had been made in remembrance of the World War.  

Well it is Remembrance Day here. We went to visit Lynn's mom and watch the ceremony on TV with her, It was truly the worst weather for remembrance day in many years yet the turn out at the Cenotaph was quite impressive. Lynn's mom served briefly in the RCAF in the 50s. Lynn's Grandfather saw action in France during the great war and came out of that with lung damage that would eventually take his life at age 61. We raised a glass to the fallen and Pte. Byron Peters, Canadian Army. It was sherry today I didn't think Margaret could handle the Ron Zacapa rum I used yesterday.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yep. The 100th Anniversary of the end of the war.. they did some nice things. The Wellington War memorial had probably the best display I've seen - created by Sir Peter Jackson. It ran till 2018 but sadly gone now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well it is Remembrance Day here. We went to visit Lynn's mom and watch the ceremony on TV with her, It was truly the worst weather for remembrance day in many years yet the turn out at the Cenotaph was quite impressive. Lynn's mom served briefly in the RCAF in the 50s. Lynn's Grandfather saw action in France during the great war and came out of that with lung damage that would eventually take his life at age 61. We raised a glass to the fallen and Pte. Byron Peters, Canadian Army. It was sherry today I didn't think Margaret could handle the Ron Zacapa rum I used yesterday.

Lyle, tell Lyn my mother also served in the Air Force (WAAF) during WWII, while first husband was posted first to Syria, then to New Guinea.  He died in courageous circumstances at Sanananda, at the end of the Kokoda Trail. They were married only six months when she received news of his death.  She said the friendship and comraderie she found in the Air Force carried her through those dark days.  Lest we forget.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1