Alaska Cruise with Teenagers - Excursion Suggestions, please!

NancyandRussell

Hello all. We have planned a Royal Caribbean Alaska cruise with our 13 year old grandkids in August, 2024. We’ll be in Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, and Victoria, and are looking for suggestions and recommendations for excursions these active kids might enjoy. Anyone have suggestions for us? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, NancyandRussell said:

We’ll be in Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, and Victoria, and are looking for suggestions and recommendations for excursions these active kids might enjoy.

At 13, they are old enough to look at some of the options in each port themselves and make suggestions as to  what might interest them. They might even enjoy researching the possibilities so probably worth asking them.

• Like 1

A couple of alternative to the (pricey) train in Skagway -

1.  Rent a car (Avis) for the day and drive up into the Yukon.  The scenery is terrific; you can visit the and continue past pretty Emerald Lake to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town, where you'll likely be the only people there, disturbing the peace for several hundred noisy ground squirrels and marmots. 

car-truck-driving-rallye-on-600nw-562690

Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/maBRbG2Wo4mb1gTdA

2.  Haines and Chilkoot bears.  If you can afford the time and expense, go on the high-speed catamaran to Haines, where you can (hopefully) see bears going after salmon in the Chilkoot River, not to mention (probably) a whole lot of eagles - Haines is the self-proclaimed "bald eagle capital" of North America.  Maybe, maybe not, but plenty of the birds around.  

I would agree that renting a car in Skagway is a great solution. There are excellent maps for routes that we can recommend. You can't get lost and you can take your time. If you go this route, rent the car in advance as much as you can (Avis Alaska).

• Thanks 1

I would not recommend taking 13 year olds on the train. As someone mentioned, the scenery is the same both ways. The train ride is long and involves sitting for a couple of hours. Not too much fun for 13 yr olds.  I went on this excursion because so many people suggested it. Frankly, I was bored and could not wait to get off.

Renting a car or asking the kids what they would be interested in would be a better option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WELDON said:

Renting a car or asking the kids what they would be interested in would be a better option.

I think getting into the Yukon and learning about the Gold Rush is worthy if being in Skagway but I have seen people sleeping on the train. I can see why some would be bored on the way back. I think a car is the best route. If they are into train rides and scenery - bus/train combo with Chilkoot is good.

My first train ride there was on a very foggy day. Worst day ever on that trip as I saw nothing.

Edited by Coral

I admit I fell asleep on the train back to town, and I was in my 30s.  I wouldn't recommend the train for "active teenagers".  Would definitely recommend renting a car so you can stop where you want and get out and hike around.  If it's sunny or partly cloudy (but not raining), the scenery is amazing on the drive towards Emerald Lake.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

I’d forget the train, too. Way too long a trip for active 13 year olds

In Skagway, Ocean Raft. https://www.oceanraftalaska.com 

in Sitka, Raptor Center. https://alaskaraptor.org

Juneau- either kayak https://beyondak.com/trips/auke-bay-alaska-guided-kayak-tour/.  Or whale watch https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com

Victoria - whale watch PrinceofWhales.com or just walk around the harbor.  Loads of neat stores for last minute souvenirs downtown.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, torybruno said:

Personally I wouldn’t have 13 year olds sitting on a train excursion.  I can highly recommend the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari.  My second favorite Alaska excursion, very active and Davidson Glacier is amazing!!!

There have been reports of poor safety issues on this with someone dying. Former employees have said negative things about the company and their actions (profits over safety).

Edited by Coral

On 12/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Coral said:

There have been reports of poor safety issues on this with someone dying. Former employees have said negative things about the company and their actions (profits over safety).

That’s so sad!  We loved this tour.  We were in the canoe in very calm waters.  

22 minutes ago, torybruno said:

That’s so sad!  We loved this tour.  We were in the canoe in very calm waters.  

I have done it and enjoyed it but wasn't thrilled with the employees. Shortly after, someone died and several former employees came forward and had negative things to say about the company. You can easily google it. I won't go again and I won't recommend it anymore.

If going to Skagway by car don't forget the passports. Cross into Canada about 1/2 up road. If you want one that will never be forgotten do helo glacier landing in Skagway or Juneau. Very weather dependent so check cancelation policies. Maybe book tour in both ports in case first one gets cancelled then if it goes cancel the second one. Check all the tours on youtube and show them your favorites and let them choose. Skagway has nice dog sled tour pulling a cart on dirt road. sightcrr 

• Thanks 1