NCL Tipping Questions

tmal2

My previous cruise experiences have been with RC or princess and it's been about 10 years since we've cruised so I know a lot has changed. We've booked a 10 day NCL cruise and I'm a little confused on how tipping works.on NCL cruises.

I've already paid for the cruise and $436 ($218 per person) was added and listed as Bev service charge which I assume is the tips pertaining to drinks included in the drink package which was included for "free". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also listed on my bill is Din service charge of $35.60 ($17.80 per person) which I'm assuming will be the tips for 2 nights of specialty dining which was also part of the package. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know there is an addition charge of $20 per person per day which I have not paid yet but have been told it will be added to my account once we are onboard. Does that $20 per person per day cover both cabin staff, dining room staff and anyone else onboard that would be tipped with the exception of specialty services like the spa?

On the last cruise we went on envelopes were left in our cabin with the names of everyone that had provided service to us. We put cash in those envelopes and handed them to each person directly. It the $20 per person per day the modern day version of that or am I missing something? Just looking to make sure I'm not forgetting anyone.

Also, i understand cash tips can also be given to staff that go above and beyond. I'm just looking to make sure I've got all the basics covered first.

Thanks

Edited by tmal2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

My previous cruise experiences have been with RC or princess and it's been about 10 years since we've cruised so I know a lot has changed. We've booked a 10 day NCL cruise and I'm a little confused on how tipping works.on NCL cruises.

I've already paid for the cruise and $436 ($218 per person) was added and listed as Bev service charge which I assume is the tips pertaining to drinks included in the drink package which was included for "free". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also listed on my bill is Din service charge of $35.60 ($17.80 per person) which I'm assuming will be the tips for 2 nights of specialty dining which was also part of the package. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know there is an addition charge of $20 per person per day which I have not paid yet but have been told it will be added to my account once we are onboard. Does that $20 per person per day cover both cabin staff, dining room staff and anyone else onboard that would be tipped with the exception of specialty services like the spa?

On the last cruise we went on envelopes were left in our cabin with the names of everyone that had provided service to us. We put cash in those envelopes and handed them to each person directly. It the $20 per person per day the modern day version of that or am I missing something? Just looking to make sure I'm not forgetting anyone.

Also, i understand cash tips can also be given to staff that go above and beyond. I'm just looking to make sure I've got all the basics covered first.

Thanks

you are on point with everything you wrote.  If you want, you can pre-pay that $20 per person per day if you'd like to keep your onboard account to a minimum

15 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

These are the 20% 'gratuities' on those packages based on retail cost if you were to buy the package yourself.

16 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

That's the Discretionary Service Charge, covers all staff including the back-of-house staff (dishwashers, cooks, etc).

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-is-onboard-service-charge

17 minutes ago, tmal2 said:

On the last cruise we went on envelopes were left in our cabin with the names of everyone that had provided service to us. We put cash in those envelopes and handed them to each person directly. It the $20 per person per day the modern day version of that or am I missing something?

NCL doesn't do the envelopes.  I usually bring cash to leave for my cabin steward and leave it on the table in the cabin on disembarkation day.  Because of the Freestyle Cruising concept you end up not having the same server more than once.  For specialty meals I usually charge an additional $10 (I'm a solo) to my cabin as a tip for the server.  I realize it's not THAT much, but it's something extra.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

you are on point with everything you wrote.  If you want, you can pre-pay that $20 per person per day if you'd like to keep your onboard account to a minimum

Thank you! Just wanted to confirm what I thought was correct.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

These are the 20% 'gratuities' on those packages based on retail cost if you were to buy the package yourself.

That's the Discretionary Service Charge, covers all staff including the back-of-house staff (dishwashers, cooks, etc).

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-is-onboard-service-charge

NCL doesn't do the envelopes.  I usually bring cash to leave for my cabin steward and leave it on the table in the cabin on disembarkation day.  Because of the Freestyle Cruising concept you end up not having the same server more than once.  For specialty meals I usually charge an additional $10 (I'm a solo) to my cabin as a tip for the server.  I realize it's not THAT much, but it's something extra.

Thank you for your input.

1 minute ago, tmal2 said:

Thank you! Just wanted to confirm what I thought was correct.

You summarized it nicely.  Any other tipping you may or may not want to do for the housekeeping, bar staff, or dining staff is entirely optional.  You do not need to tip more.  Some people choose to, however.  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I don’t. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hallux said:

For specialty meals I usually charge an additional $10 (I'm a solo) to my cabin as a tip for the server.  I realize it's not THAT much, but it's something extra.

I do the same, and since it's in addition to the 20% you've already paid, don't think of it as not being that much.  It's appreciated 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I do the same, and since it's in addition to the 20% you've already paid, don't think of it as not being that much.  It's appreciated 

That was my feeling about it.  But, when you consider the grat. on the package is less than $10 per meal ($17.80 for my upcoming 15 night cruise where I get 2 meals) and some bills can easily run up over $100, the less than $20 total per meal seems a bit light.  I might bump to $15, not sure, it's personal preference...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmal2 said:

You have demonstrated a far deeper and more correct understanding of gratuities on NCL than most responders to your question.

Soon, you'll be treated to a debate over what is and what is not a gratuity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On NCL you'll need to tip directly.  There are no envelopes.  Having said that, as others (and you) mentioned, tips on NCL are pre-paid if you take advantage of drink+dining packages.  You're also allowed to pre-pay your stateroom daily charges as well, which should be considered the "tip" for your cabin steward and back of house folks.

If you want to give more to specific folks, give them the cash directly.  Having said that, while cash is no doubt appreciated, on NCL, you're really going to want to make sure you're submitting Hero Cards to Guest Services for folks that really go above+beyond.  NCL does take those to heart and it's pretty much how the crew gets promotions/raises/etc...

• Like 2

Just now, macewank said:

On NCL you'll need to tip directly.  There are no envelopes.  Having said that, as others (and you) mentioned, tips on NCL are pre-paid if you take advantage of drink+dining packages.  You're also allowed to pre-pay your stateroom daily charges as well, which should be considered the "tip" for your cabin steward and back of house folks.

If you want to give more to specific folks, give them the cash directly.  Having said that, while cash is no doubt appreciated, on NCL, you're really going to want to make sure you're submitting Hero Cards to Guest Services for folks that really go above+beyond.  NCL does take those to heart and it's pretty much how the crew gets promotions/raises/etc...

awesome answer!!  I've given up on distinguishing between gratuities and the DSC as most people here dismisses it even though NCL itself distinguishing between them on their website.  The only reason I like to point out that DSC are not tips is to point out it's the hero cards that effects crew member's pay

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@tmal2

On the last cruise we went on envelopes were left in our cabin with the names of everyone that had provided service to us. 

Which cruise line please?

If that ever happens on NCL I can see an uprising!!

The OP hasn't cruised in 10 years and back then, that was the standard way to leave tips. All of the cruiselines I have been on in the past 7-8 years have done away with the envelopes. The only line I am aware of that still does envelopes is Disney.

1 minute ago, Ellaleah said:

I will be in a solo balcony for 15 nights and assuming service is good, what might you suggest as an extra cash tip?

This is so subjective to each person and their personal beliefs when it comes to tipping above and beyond. One person might say $40 and another may say $500. 

what do you tip housekeeping at hotels?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I will be in a solo balcony for 15 nights and assuming service is good, what might you suggest as an extra cash tip?

Oh my. This is impossible to answer. We just tipped our room steward $30 for 5-days. Some will call me a total miser, while others will say it was a total waste of money.

You do you.

• Like 1

Just now, Ellaleah said:

I think I left $50. For 2 weeks a couple of years ago, but maybe $75 would be more average.  I am just striving to be average and adequate!

Average is going to be not leaving an additional tip.  It's fairly uncommon afaik.  

So go with your heart.  Anything above+beyond the DSC will be appreciated (and again, submit the dang hero cards!)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I gave my room steward Carlene $40 for the 7 nights.  I get very anxious about tipping. I know its not necessary  to tip xtra  My purpose is not exactly to thank her for service given to me but as a general thank you for doing what she does.  Without room stewards there would be no cruises.  This is just my personal feeling.  I probably wouldnt increase that double if the cruise was 15 nights.  Maybe I would increase it to  $50 or $60  This would be in keeping with my thanking her for what she does, not for actual service to me (unless she really went out of her way to accommodate a request of mine)  You just have to do what you think is right.  

Edited by Smitheroo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@tmal2

On the last cruise we went on envelopes were left in our cabin with the names of everyone that had provided service to us. 

Which cruise line please?

If that ever happens on NCL I can see an uprising!!

Yeah at the risk of being lambasted by some people, I think that's kind of tacky. No, I'm not perpetually aggrieved, yes I can have an opinion. I think its a tacky method. I like how NCL does it.  

5 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Thanks

You are 100% o.k. with your interpretations. The $218 pp is the gratuities on the drinks. The $17.80 is the gratuities for the 2 specialty dinners. And the $20 pp pd covers your room steward, MDR waiters and a bunch of other hardworking crew members that make your cruise experience wonderful. 

No additional gratuities are "necessary".

We always give our cabin steward some extra cash (for us it's about $10-$15 per day - paid on the last day of the cruise). We also give bar waiters and bar tenders a buck or two for a round of drinks. 

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We always give our cabin steward some extra cash (for us it's about $10-$15 per day - paid on the last day of the cruise). We also give bar waiters and bar tenders a buck or two for a round of drinks. 

An extra $70-$105 per 7 night cruise on top on the auto tips?!?  For once daily stateroom service?  I guess to each their own. 

I just leave the auto grats and maybe give an extra $20 if service is excellent.  With the reduction of service and increase in the auto grats I didn’t leave extra this last cruise though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tmal2 said:

Thanks

You've got it all correct...

Happy cruising🛳🥳

p.s. We always pay ahead of time for the daily service charge...that way its done. Don't have to worry about it on my final bill at the end of the cruise.🛳🥳

Edited by FlGoodShips

3 hours ago, FlGoodShips said:

You've got it all correct...

Happy cruising🛳🥳

p.s. We always pay ahead of time for the daily service charge...that way its done. Don't have to worry about it on my final bill at the end of the cruise.🛳🥳

Unless one has some applicable OBC that you don't already expect to use use for other services.

It may nicely cover the DSC.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You are 100% o.k. with your interpretations. The $218 pp is the gratuities on the drinks. The $17.80 is the gratuities for the 2 specialty dinners. And the $20 pp pd covers your room steward, MDR waiters and a bunch of other hardworking crew members that make your cruise experience wonderful. 

No additional gratuities are "necessary".

Back in the old days, specialty restaurant servers were part of the same tip pool as the MDR staff.

Is that still true today at NCL? If so, the extra 20% on the estimate "cost" would be  a very reasonable tip, all in.

If anyone knows the answer to this, it's you, bird.