Fishing Charter - St. Maarten/St. John

CTRobin

We are going in April 2024 and have never been to these Islands. My husband would like to do a fishing charter. Can anyone recommend a charter company or give me some insight on which island might be best for that? Thanks for any help. 

I have the worst luck when it comes to charter fishing on the islands. I have had multiple trips booked and every time it was too windy to get out. Needless to say, i dont book charters anymore. It happened twice in Bermuda and twice in St. Maarten. May your husband have smooth seas!! 😃

9 hours ago, joeyancho said:

At some ports the cruise line offers a sport fishing tour.  Catch and release.  You could also find a local vendor to accommodate you.  Just Google it.  Maybe you can arrange what you want.  

I have done some research, but it's nice to get recommendations if others have done it.

8 hours ago, Fissues said:

In St. John check out Doubleheader. They are unbelievable!

Don’t bother in St. Maarten. 

I’m not kidding. I’m a commercial fisherman. Doubleheader is some of the best fishing anywhere. Cheap money and they let you keep the fish. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I have the worst luck when it comes to charter fishing on the islands. I have had multiple trips booked and every time it was too windy to get out. Needless to say, i dont book charters anymore. It happened twice in Bermuda and twice in St. Maarten. May your husband have smooth seas!! 😃

How disappointing! 

On 11/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, Fissues said:

I’m not kidding. I’m a commercial fisherman. Doubleheader is some of the best fishing anywhere. Cheap money and they let you keep the fish. 

Not sure what benefit keeping the fish would be in arriving and departing via cruise ship.  

I wonder if prior arrangements could be made to have the chef's onboard cook your catch for you?  Now that would definitely be an incentive! 

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Not sure what benefit keeping the fish would be in arriving and departing via cruise ship.  

I wonder if prior arrangements could be made to have the chef's onboard cook your catch for you?  Now that would definitely be an incentive! 

I've seen that many charters work with local restaurants who will cook it up for you - if you have time!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CTRobin said:

I've seen that many charters work with local restaurants who will cook it up for you - if you have time!  

This is of course an option but the "if you have time" is the issue I have frequently encountered.