Princess first timer

Runaway Parent

1 hour ago, Runaway Parent said:

Tell me what I need to know. We are diamond on Carnival, and we've also sailed RCL and NCL. 

What's different on Princess? 

If you look in my expanded signature, I’ve posted to some Princess Live From threads since cruising started back up. Maybe they can offer some insight on what you might find. But I will also note we usually book a Reserve Collection mini-suite or higher so we can dine in the Reserve dining room.

I'd like to answer you but that's is a pretty big subject. 

In very general terms, you're jumping from Mass-Market lines to a Premium line.

Some disagree with that classification, but I'll reference this Gary Bembridge video. You can make up your mind about that.

https://youtu.be/Y1hiYS0Y8uA?feature=shared

I would say Princess has less, "energy," onboard, generally smaller ships, no deck rides. (In the current fleet.) Our first two cruises were RCL and Carnival, I can't imagine sailing either now.

View some of the Princess threads here for questions, but also to get a sense of the people who choose Princess. Maybe you'll like us, maybe not.  When I read one of the ultra-luxury boards here, I don't want to sail with them, too stuffy. YMMV.

It makes a big difference which ship & which itinerary so maybe you could be a little more specific in your question...also that a cruise is like depends on what you like to do so really you probably get more helpful answers if you share more details about what you want/expect.

• Like 1

The one thing I've found with Princess that I've only found on a couple other cruise lines is they take care of veterans. They give OBC to veterans of US, UK, Can, and AUS. It's not a whole bunch, $50-$250 depending on length of cruise. So I recommend all veterans booking a princess cruise to go to the bottom of the website and click on the military benefits link. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Your question covers a very large area. If you post what ships, itineraries and cabin categories you are considering you will probably receive some information on what to expect.  

@Runaway Parent posting what your are interested in on board would also help with responses.

First, I’m a tshirt and shorts kind of guy who was lucky and retired early than expected.  Hate being pampered or pretentious about things.  We’ve sailed with others and had some older friends invite us to cruise with them about 10 years ago.  We never felt so “relaxed” on a cruise before.  We have done a few with other lines since but we “missed” that low key relaxation and the look of Princess.  I will say either we are getting older faster or customers are getting younger.  I’ve not got jammed in the back of an elevator by rabid wheelchair drivers in a few years!  You can have lots of fun but not really a party cruise.  If you want to be waited on hand and foot, that’s there too!  Enjoy it immensely!

• Like 1