TxTeach79's LIVE Regal return to Princess Solo Thanksgiving - 11/19/23

TxTeach79

Awesome review as always! I'll be Plat on carnival in a couple cruises, and want to venture out after that with other lines. Honestly, Princess wasn't on my radar before yours and Greg's reviews, but I may reconsider! I've been leaning toward RCI or NCL because of the actual unlimited drinks in the drink package. I want to be able to try new things and not have it "count" toward my 15 if I don't like it. Lol

Oh, and I'm also class of '97. Great year! 😁

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 2:14 PM, TxTeach79 said:

Lots of people really giving it to the bartenders about having to pay for drinks. I get how ridiculous a lot of our archaic laws are around here, but still - that’s just poor planning on your part. This isn’t some secret. 

Hi TxTeach79, I too am in education and in Houston and will be sailing at the end of January! Can't wait. You mention this isn't a secret, but I can't find anything in writing on the Princess website or in my booking that explains exactly what to expect. I've seen online some say you pay until you are in international waters and then the full bar and your package is applied, others say you pay, get the $25 credit and your package is active at 6 am, and still others have reported you pay, get the $25 and drinks are free after 6 pm (once in international waters. The latter seems implausible. Can you share what you experieinced. I don't want to be someone giving them a hard time, just trying to understand what the policy is and what to expect. Thank you for your help and hang in there for the next two weeks!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiserj12 said:

Hi TxTeach79, I too am in education and in Houston and will be sailing at the end of January! Can't wait. You mention this isn't a secret, but I can't find anything in writing on the Princess website or in my booking that explains exactly what to expect. I've seen online some say you pay until you are in international waters and then the full bar and your package is applied, others say you pay, get the $25 credit and your package is active at 6 am, and still others have reported you pay, get the $25 and drinks are free after 6 pm (once in international waters. The latter seems implausible. Can you share what you experieinced. I don't want to be someone giving them a hard time, just trying to understand what the policy is and what to expect. Thank you for your help and hang in there for the next two weeks!!!

On Ruby out of Galveston cruise last year, you could buy drinks from a limited menu as soon as you got on the ship, but would be paying the menu price and Texas liquor taxes out of pocket. The full menu and packages became available once we hit international waters, which I think was around 5:30 pm. Drinks from that point are counted to your package (kinda "free" in the sense that you're not charged for individual drinks out of pocket but of course you already payed for the package). We did receive a $25 "voyage disruption credit" although if I recall it didn't show up on our account until a couple days into the cruise. I would guess princess doesn't want to publish that as an official policy in case they decide to change their mind and stop doing it.

The package not starting until 6am people are probably getting confused with Carnival, because they don't start their Cheers packages until Day 2. But Princess does start them on Day 1, as soon as you reach international waters. We will be on the Regal out of Galveston on the NYE so I can confirm that all this is still true then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bethfelk said:

On Ruby out of Galveston cruise last year, you could buy drinks from a limited menu as soon as you got on the ship, but would be paying the menu price and Texas liquor taxes out of pocket. The full menu and packages became available once we hit international waters, which I think was around 5:30 pm. Drinks from that point are counted to your package (kinda "free" in the sense that you're not charged for individual drinks out of pocket but of course you already payed for the package). We did receive a $25 "voyage disruption credit" although if I recall it didn't show up on our account until a couple days into the cruise. I would guess princess doesn't want to publish that as an official policy in case they decide to change their mind and stop doing it.

The package not starting until 6am people are probably getting confused with Carnival, because they don't start their Cheers packages until Day 2. But Princess does start them on Day 1, as soon as you reach international waters. We will be on the Regal out of Galveston on the NYE so I can confirm that all this is still true then

Thanks, Beth! I appreciate it. Please keep us posted and I hope you enjoy your NYE Cruise!

On 11/24/2023 at 4:03 AM, TxTeach79 said:

Looks like it’s just us and X Ascent at this early hour here in Coz 

IMG_1179.thumb.jpeg.7be0c74188504abe24cdb8b7d315805d.jpeg

Hi again Paul!

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind "donating" (AKA relinquishing your copyright) this picture of the Ascent to Wikimedia Commons (the picture database used for the pictures you see on Wikipedia)? It would require you to start an account if you do not already have one, and basically acknowledge that you accept having your photo having the potential to circulate globally on the internet (there are three different levels of creative licenses you can choose, as shown below).

image.png.c8bfabd535443c85a1c271fd1e0fcb49.png

We don't have enough contributors sharing their pictures of cruise ships and ships' features/amenities/etc. on Wikimedia Commons, and for such a new ship, this picture would be a great start. I would really appreciate it but I completely understand if you are not comfortable with doing so. Thank you again 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hi again Paul!

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind "donating" (AKA relinquishing your copyright) this picture of the Ascent to Wikimedia Commons (the picture database used for the pictures you see on Wikipedia)? It would require you to start an account if you do not already have one, and basically acknowledge that you accept having your photo having the potential to circulate globally on the internet (there are three different levels of creative licenses you can choose, as shown below).

We don't have enough contributors sharing their pictures of cruise ships and ships' features/amenities/etc. on Wikimedia Commons, and for such a new ship, this picture would be a great start. I would really appreciate it but I completely understand if you are not comfortable with doing so. Thank you again 🙂

Sure, I don't mind at all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hi again Paul!

I created an account under my TxTeach79 handle

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

Awesome review as always! I'll be Plat on carnival in a couple cruises, and want to venture out after that with other lines. Honestly, Princess wasn't on my radar before yours and Greg's reviews, but I may reconsider! I've been leaning toward RCI or NCL because of the actual unlimited drinks in the drink package. I want to be able to try new things and not have it "count" toward my 15 if I don't like it. Lol

Oh, and I'm also class of '97. Great year! 😁

I get that entirely, believe me. I've sailed Carnival enough that I think I have every drink they offer down and don't really miss, but I still don't love counting them up and "budgeting" out on a long sea day. Princess is a little more flexible since you can still pay for them over 15 and stashing is so simple... plus pre-purchasing in room booze is way cheaper. 

Viva 97!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiserj12 said:

Yeah, sure! It's confusing because every line handles the law differently. On Princess, we got a $25 OBC to be used on anything we wanted upon boarding. You had to pay for drinks from the limited Texas menu all lines use until we hit international waters (hour and a half or so after sailing).... once you hit int'l waters, the Plus package kicks in for those who have it and the full bar menu begins!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Yeah, sure! It's confusing because every line handles the law differently. On Princess, we got a $25 OBC to be used on anything we wanted upon boarding. You had to pay for drinks from the limited Texas menu all lines use until we hit international waters (hour and a half or so after sailing).... once you hit int'l waters, the Plus package kicks in for those who have it and the full bar menu begins!

Thanks, much appreciated!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

Sure, I don't mind at all!

7 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

I created an account under my TxTeach79 handle

So very much appreciated! I found your photo 🙂 I'm grateful for your generosity and hope others can follow in your footsteps to keep donating any of their ship (or cruise) photos in the future!

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyed reading your review.  I am on the Regal in February for the same itinerary, and since this is my first time on Princess it really helped to give me a "picture" for what to expect.  I taught middle and high school for many years so I appreciate what you do!

• Thanks 1