New to Holland America - very confused!

lisiamc

We have booked for our very first Holland .America cruise, on the Rotterdam, on 15 December. We bought the have it all package, but I am now confused. I have a $100 credit to use for speciality dining through the HIA package, and so does my DH, but if I try to book a dinner for two, the website wants to know a credit card number to charge it to. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Is there a tutorial I can watch? 

• Like 1

In the worst case, you pay upfront when you reserve, but  get the charge taken off your bill when you dine on board. 

Nice to learn there is now a "complimentary dining" option to check, when making prior reservations. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1

Welcome!  A couple of quick thoughts come to mind.  Perhaps you are trying to book into a restaurant that is not covered in your HIA package?  The restaurants that are part of your package are usually specified on your booking paperwork.  The other possibility is that you did not see the itty bitty box that you can check to say that you would like you use your complimentary dinner.  Try doing a booking in a different venue and see if that behaves differently.  If all else fails, give HAL a call and let them get you booked.  

• Like 3

I find that the website works better when I am on my laptop vs my phone or iPad. I also change browsers sometimes. On a mobile device, websites sometimes don’t display all info on a page so perhaps the complimentary dining box is missing.

Edited by sandiego1

50 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I have a $100 credit to use for speciality dining through the HIA package, and so does my DH,

With HIA, the Shore Excursion credit is in $. The Complimentary Dining is listed as number of meals in specific Specialty Restaurants rather than a monetary amount. As mentioned, maybe you are trying to reserve a Specialty Restaurant that is not included in your HIA. I have found that if I check the "Complementary Dining" box, I am not asked for a credit card number when booking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lisiamc said:

We have booked for our very first Holland .America cruise, on the Rotterdam, on 15 December. We bought the have it all package, but I am now confused. I have a $100 credit to use for speciality dining through the HIA package, and so does my DH, but if I try to book a dinner for two, the website wants to know a credit card number to charge it to. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Is there a tutorial I can watch? 

Welcome!!

As others have said, there is a "complimentary dining" box to check so ypur HIA credits get used. If you don't see that box, you're likely trying to book a restaurant that dies not qualify. 

Also, you might want to take a closer look - the $100 is most likely for excursions, which you can also use to book before boarding. 

11 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome!!

As others have said, there is a "complimentary dining" box to check so ypur HIA credits get used. If you don't see that box, you're likely trying to book a restaurant that dies not qualify. 

Also, you might want to take a closer look - the $100 is most likely for excursions, which you can also use to book before boarding. 

Thank you to everyone for explaining the complimentary tick box and where to find it! That was indeed where I was going wrong, and I’ve been able to book us in for a Pinnacle dinner on the first night of the cruise. That way if it’s wonderful, we can think about another one.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Thank you to everyone for explaining the complimentary tick box and where to find it! That was indeed where I was going wrong, and I’ve been able to book us in for a Pinnacle dinner on the first night of the cruise. That way if it’s wonderful, we can think about another one.

if you like the Pinnacle you might also consider booking lunch there on a sea day. Lunches can only be booked once on board, but its a wonderful way to spend a sea day. I think its now $19 + 18% pp. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, yerdua said:

if you like the Pinnacle you might also consider booking lunch there on a sea day. Lunches can only be booked once on board, but it’s a wonderful way to spend a sea day. I think its now $19 + 18% pp. 

Thanks, that’s a great idea! There is a lot that we don’t know yet about HA, and it’s going to be fun to learn. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mkl55 said:

Welcome!  A couple of quick thoughts come to mind.  Perhaps you are trying to book into a restaurant that is not covered in your HIA package?  The restaurants that are part of your package are usually specified on your booking paperwork.  The other possibility is that you did not see the itty bitty box that you can check to say that you would like you use your complimentary dinner.  Try doing a booking in a different venue and see if that behaves differently.  If all else fails, give HAL a call and let them get you booked.  

What is HIA?