Iceland - Northern or Southern ports ?

robertmartha

Looking at an Iceland sailing for next year. Since I am still only to take a week of vacation (without having a complete breakdown) would love to hear from those who have done one / other / or both itinerary's / ports and your experiences - thoughts. Very concerned about the midges...which seem to prevalent in the northern ports in the summer - even into the first week of September. Even with face netting - not sure that we want to deal with them 😂quite honestly. From what I have been reading / researching, ports are very different.

Thanks all

I liked the ports you visit while starting in the Northeast and heading south clockwise.

Came from Scotland over to the NE of Iceland and proceeded to REK with IIRC 5 stops  before docking.  Did the west coast from REK this summer and whilst nice not as scenic for me.

If you're open to other cruise lines, you might take a look at Windstar.  I recently completed their final 7-day circumnavigation of Iceland for the season (Sept 2-9).  There were no midges at that time of year.  We did a b2b that then continued on to Greenland, Nova Scotia & Montreal (no midges there either).  On the first 3 nights of that segment we got to experience the Northern Lights. It's right on the cusp of the season, but there's always the chance that you might get to see them on the final circumnavigation cruise. Just something to consider.

Edited by mnocket