Dawn to the West

Port Power

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

SILVER SPIRIT SIGNATURE COCKTAIL

2 oz Plymouth gin

2 oz St Germain elderflower liqueur

1.5 oz New Zealand sauvignon blanc

1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Shake until very chilled; serve straight up in martini glass with wedge of lime.

Guess what I'm having tonight?

Which Plymouth?  Assuming not Navy strength.  That’s a hefty drink.

• Haha 1

Today a “pub lunch” was set up in Dolce Vita. Sorry, but I forgot to take some photos.  It was well attended.

However, I did another SALT Lab class today. “Llapingachos de Mote” from Equador. Otherwise known as corn cakes filled with pork.  It was served with one of the best satay sauces I have ever tasted.  The corn salad was definitely the best salad I have tasted!  I will be making this at home.

Ready to start:

IMG_3457.thumb.jpeg.0bc53a29be3ef7ab44e2d3bbce2266ee.jpeg

The only “cooked” item in the salad, but it adds so much to the overall flavour:

IMG_3458.thumb.jpeg.1ac75d24ef941494c75be4eae2a15285.jpeg

IMG_3459.thumb.jpeg.26ff67a352690fe7e76011c8ec9e9c1d.jpeg

The corn cake before frying:

IMG_3460.thumb.jpeg.669d3de21786bcb8634815ece13832d7.jpeg

The finished dish:

IMG_3462.thumb.jpeg.2d25d7f65f68c97590792fadd40692a0.jpeg

• Like 8

SALT Lab and SALT Kitchen did another demonstration this morning on the history and culture of coffee in Latin America. Unfortunately I missed it!  However, I watched it later via ship videos.

image.thumb.jpg.3fbfe712bf6c068d6bf01017db34711e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bf9337a93c83425f9c2f3336f9dc9c91.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2bda5977ce14fcd91781227f5d89fca6.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.1703d64a3ee397cb0846f3a9def9b9c3.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.275a0076eb5c5201a68b272176737404.jpg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2023 at 5:50 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

SILVER SPIRIT SIGNATURE COCKTAIL

2 oz Plymouth gin

2 oz St Germain elderflower liqueur

1.5 oz New Zealand sauvignon blanc

1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Shake until very chilled; serve straight up in martini glass with wedge of lime.

Guess what I'm having tonight?

Just took a screenshot and created a new album for our May 2024 cruise.  It’s the first photo so if a bartender is clueless I can whip out the recipe.  That is if I still remember I have it by then!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Just took a screenshot and created a new album for our May 2024 cruise.  It’s the first photo so if a bartender is clueless I can whip out the recipe.  That is if I still remember I have it by then!

I have hundreds of screenshots of things I've forgotten about.😉

5 hours ago, Port Power said:

SALT Lab and SALT Kitchen did another demonstration this morning on the history and culture of coffee in Latin America. Unfortunately I missed it!  However, I watched it later via ship videos.

Do they have smell-o-vision? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a great solos group, hosted by “gentlemen hosts” Mark and Mo.  Tonight most of us were at the early show by a female comedienne and didn’t arrive for drinks until later.  I wonder why those who didn’t go to the show are all the male solos?

(Air drop photo. Sorry it’s upside down.)

IMG_5862.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

We have a great solos group, hosted by “gentlemen hosts” Mark and Mo.  Tonight most of us were at the early show by a female comedienne and didn’t arrive for drinks until later.  I wonder why those who didn’t go to the show are all the male solos?

(Air drop photo. Sorry it’s upside down.)

IMG_5862.jpeg

The vagaries of posting photos!  😁

Monday, 4 December, 2023.  At Sea, Atlantic Ocean.

Blue sky and light cloud on the horizon. 25C today and about that already at 8:30am.  There will be plenty of people in and around the swimming pool today.  There is a bit more swell than yesterday, and a few white-capped low waves about.  

Tonight is the Venetian Society “cocktail party”, which means well over half the ship’s passengers in the Venetian Lounge with a glass in hand.

IMG_3470.thumb.jpeg.7147cccf3f9fbbbcd23a0ab377c2de22.jpeg

• Like 6

On 12/2/2023 at 10:53 AM, jollyjones said:

I used to drink mine on the rocks in a tall glass - more refreshing at a hot lunchtime by the pool. 

I seem to recall a long lunchtime on deck with Spins (the Shadow? Maybe the actual Spirit?) and quite a number of Silver Spirits … at least, I think I was there …

Methinks it was the Spirit. Before the stretch??? Lovely memories. 

SALT Lab class making wrinkled potatoes and ropa vieja from the Canary Islands.  Wrinkled potatoes are simply unpeeled potatoes boiled in salted water so the skin wrinkle. Ropa vieja literally translates to “old clothes” and is a stew that originated to use leftovers.  It tasted very good, of course.

Cooking up the chickpeas and other vegetables, herbs and spices in stock:

IMG_3418.thumb.jpeg.b99204a1e88ea7211cd384082de51b00.jpeg

The finished dish incorporating “leftover” beef and chicken:

IMG_3419.thumb.jpeg.5379e4ab67534c0031558245d030b0f8.jpeg

• Like 6

Ouch.  First dud meal of the cruise .. in Atlantide.  Green curry chicken would have been fine except it positively SCREAMED lemongrass.  Overpowered the entire dish.  Even the ginger couldn't be detected.

Oh well.  All else has been splendid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Ouch.  First dud meal of the cruise .. in Atlantide.  Green curry chicken would have been fine except it positively SCREAMED lemongrass.  Overpowered the entire dish.  Even the ginger couldn't be detected.

Oh well.  All else has been splendid.

I love lemongrass so wouldn't have been a problem. Rojaan doesn't do curries but twice a week we go to a Vietnamese restaurant where she has the same dish every time. yes it is lemongrass beef.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

I love lemongrass so wouldn't have been a problem. Rojaan doesn't do curries but twice a week we go to a Vietnamese restaurant where she has the same dish every time. yes it is lemongrass beef.

I love lemongrass, too, but you had to be there.  It totally walked all over all of the other flavors.  Have never tasted anything like it.  Had to have been a goof.

Tuesday, 5 December, 2023.  At Sea.

A greyer morning today.  Although rain is not really expected (10-15% chance), it is certainly grey outside.  27 degrees Celsius and very pleasant.  I have lots of activities circled in the Chronicles, starting with a destination lecture about St John’s, Antigua.

• Like 1

Executive Chef Grant, an Australian, lives in Thailand with his Taiwanese wife.  He told us they gave two kitchens.  Indoor for him, and outdoor for her because of the strong aromas from Taiwanese cooking.

In the Venetian Lounge today he made Thai fish cakes and a dipping sauce.  It serms di much easier after seeing it demonstrated. I eat Thai fish cakes weekly, but will now actually make them.

IMG_3495.thumb.jpeg.27b35ce3f3d92fa5a8571dc998e28c03.jpeg

IMG_3496.thumb.jpeg.6296192ca4eeaa95c4661c25351cc665.jpeg

They are on the menu today at The Grill on the pool deck.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 5

Next up was sirloin steak with a Jack Daniel’s sauce, and southern style corn succotash.  This will be served in Atlantide tonight, although with prime rib. 

IMG_3497.thumb.jpeg.1832d664dd5ebd5de676fb45e9352620.jpeg

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.31b3d59d83c3e0e6e4008a155df5c5bf.jpeg

IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.414fa055289e6db9cec27ac6228c7c3e.jpeg

IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.10161fc8691fd802eacade1859a18305.jpeg

For Australians, Grant does so remind me of Kim Beazley.  Always crumpled!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Next up was sirloin steak with a Jack Daniel’s sauce, and southern style corn succotash.  This will be served in Atlantide tonight, although with prime rib. 

IMG_3497.thumb.jpeg.1832d664dd5ebd5de676fb45e9352620.jpeg

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.31b3d59d83c3e0e6e4008a155df5c5bf.jpeg

IMG_3504.thumb.jpeg.414fa055289e6db9cec27ac6228c7c3e.jpeg

IMG_3501.thumb.jpeg.10161fc8691fd802eacade1859a18305.jpeg

For Australians, Grant does so remind me of Kim Beazley.  Always crumpled!

I agree 🤣

Most unfortunately, dinner at Atlantide didn’t go very well tonight.  There were five of us at the table.  Our appetisers arrived in a timely manner.  Two of us had ordered a second starter, and they also arrived in a reasonable time frame.  However, an hour later we were still waiting for our main courses!  As we were all having such a good time, we hadn’t noticed how long it had been.  The waiter who took our order hadn’t been anywhere near the table since!  A visit to the maître d’hotel seemed to get things moving, but no apology.  One of our group left the restaurant without eating!  To add insult to injury, the “prime rib” was not.  It was steak, but butterflied!  No idea what cut.  For two of us, the meat was tender and delicious, for the other two it was tough.  The succotash was delicious though, as was the potato galette.  The sauce as demonstrated this morning was rich and tasty.  Again, we had to speak to the maître d’ to order dessert.  It was after 10:00pm by this time.  The other couple were first time SS clients; they probably won’t be back, either.  They do prefer Holland America and have also found life on board Silver Dawn somewhat boring.  I really think Dolce Vita needs a piano man like Mark Farris, especially on transoceanic cruises.

This is not the first time there has been an overlong delay in both Atlantide and La Terrazza.  A small blip on an overall great cruise, but we think management needs to be informed.

• Like 2