Dawn to the West

Port Power

Host Jazzbeau
This post was recognized by Host Jazzbeau!

Port Power was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I boarded Silver Dawn today en route from Barcelona to Lisbon and thence transatlantic to Fort Lauderdale.  I’m not sure how a cruise blog will go on this itinerary, but I’ll give it a try.

Part 1 encompasses Palma de Mallorca, Valencia  Cartagena (Spain), Malaga, Gibraltar, Casablanca, Tangier, Cadiz snd Lisbon. Unfortunately I had to cancel the day trip to the additional Alhambra because of my foot injury, but I will give some feedback on ship excursions to from the other ports.

If anyone has questions relating to the ship itself, please ask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Boarding was a breeze! I stayed at a lovely 3-star hotel near the port.  Only one night, checkout st 12pm. The hotel rang for a taxi and I was at the ship check in within 15 minutes. I’m not sure driving at  80kph along the port drive is actually legal, but the driver did it!

I was the only passenger in sight. The porter took my bags and I went into terminal to check-in.  Successfully completed, I walked through the building, past the shopping areas up to escalator, and was quite surprised to find that I was actually boarding the ship just after 12 noon.  Access to suites wouldn’t be until 2pm, so off I went for lunch at Atlantide.  (Delicious seared tuna, cooked to perfection.)

The afternoon consisted of drinking Champagne and chatting to fellow new passengers, drinking champagne and unpacking, drinking champagne and booking SALT classes, followed by heading to the muster drill, and then going to dinner at S.A.L.T. kitchen.

Silver Dawn departed around 10:0pm for our next port, Palma de Mallorca.

The best news update is that the theatre format has changed again due the public feedback. There are now four singers, at least two of whom are also accomplished dancers, and two accomplished dancers.  So much better, as this evening’s show confirmed.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 10

What time did your booking confirmation say was the earliest boarding?  Mine (for Whisper in Auckland in January) says 4 pm so I was planning sightseeing for that morning.  If we could get on at noon, I might rethink that.

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What time did your booking confirmation say was the earliest boarding?  Mine (for Whisper in Auckland in January) says 4 pm so I was planning sightseeing for that morning.  If we could get on at noon, I might rethink that.

I had 2pm listed as my boarding time. I expected to sit in the terminal for an hour or two with my book, so was very pleasantly surprised. Access to rooms was not until 2:00pm.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That second sailaway photo was a very artistic effect.  How did you do that?

Beats me!  It is a photo of the container terminal, but the ship was moving and flash turned off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

You’re still stopping at Casablanca & Tangier ?  I’m on the Nova right now, and our stops in Morocco were canceled 10 days ago. 

Hmmm, I haven’t heard anything. Yesterday I returned my excursion ticket for Casablanca as I have been given a private tour there through Virtuoso.  Max at Shore Excursions didn’t mention any cancellations.  I will ask later on today.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

BTW did you book port to port and were you given Virtuoso credit (if you may have told me before, apologies)

I think my TA may have booked door-to-door without flights, as I did get Blacklane transfers from home to airport and back. We then booked an around the world flight itinerary as I will be going on to Santiago for the Antarctica expedition cruise.  

On this leg I chose the Casablanca all day tour with lunch from Virtuoso.  On the transatlantic I was given US$200 OBC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I think my TA may have booked door-to-door without flights, as I did get Blacklane transfers from home to airport and back. We then booked an around the world flight itinerary as I will be going on to Santiago for the Antarctica expedition cruise.  

On this leg I chose the Casablanca all day tour with lunch from Virtuoso.  On the transatlantic I was given US$200 OBC.

thanks, enjoy

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

Beats me!  It is a photo of the container terminal, but the ship was moving and flash turned off. 

It's easy when you have a tremor to get that effect. Up until now I always delete those photos. So now I will post a few. more good news for Mr Luxury!😉

• Haha 1

This morning’s excursion was to the delightful interior town of Soller.  There were 31 in our tour group, but seemed less.  Our excellent guide was a retired historian.  

We drove to Soller by coach, then walked about one kilometre past backyards and pretty buildings to the train station.  Another walking impaired lady and I had a delicious coffee at the train station while the group did an hour’s walk through the town.  By all reports, extremely pretty.  The train and vintage carriages took 50 minutes back to Palma, with scenic views and several tunnels.  One tunnel was about 5km long!  

IMG_2961.thumb.jpeg.4eb57af07df74919a661b450eaa2442a.jpeg

IMG_2964.thumb.jpeg.dd53b507614a1d54b7ad4275b053d0a1.jpeg

IMG_2974.thumb.jpeg.808afe6c9fce19bd96314bc2bcb01b93.jpeg

(random passenger)

IMG_2990.thumb.jpeg.0072f68263ec18e32e8e4e5facaf695f.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 5

Mallorca was not created by volcanic eruption, and is limestone. We saw along the way that hillsides have been terraced, using said limestone to make dry stone retaining walls.  There are orange groves everywhere, along with almond and olive trees.

IMG_2987.thumb.jpeg.ad89486ecd18df85144fde4dd95b99a3.jpeg

IMG_2984.thumb.jpeg.0a6ef347582a9da31cd462d42e7beeb8.jpeg

IMG_2982.thumb.jpeg.f48db53a9c7086834a4ab91ad6c8c45e.jpeg

IMG_2973.thumb.jpeg.0c5dc70ba805159e978ea1ea5f74d20a.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
Adding photos
  • Like 5

On return to Palma, only half a dozen passengers continued on with a walking tour through the old town and past the cathedral. I took a photo from the bus.

IMG_2992.thumb.jpeg.a76629f8c1b3e81ab847771702b37d53.jpeg

There are more boats and yachts than you can count out here!

IMG_2994.thumb.jpeg.ea028850e4b5d2c2c467ac5ff8f7ed76.jpeg

IMG_2995.thumb.jpeg.544b03bfe48496a0a6a75d7bff63e907.jpeg

IMG_2996.thumb.jpeg.d3536c3b778f498f2946b6c18cdafe2f.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
Add photos
  • Like 7

For those who are interested in the ship itself, Silver Dawn is just lovely!  Dolce Vita might be more work for the bar team, but the central location of the bar means that waiters circulate through the whole room and don’t forget people in the corners!

IMG_2998.thumb.jpeg.e6632c435e085ab75b81359721179caf.jpeg

IMG_2999.thumb.jpeg.a62d644a88c7b753b46961d4be36b62d.jpeg

IMG_3001.thumb.jpeg.8bfe477aedd18c30246cfac24731d992.jpeg

I had poached eggs for breakfast in La Terrazza.  Perfect eggs and very good service.  For lunch I went to Kaiseki for sushi, and thoroughly enjoyed.  I will be booking for dinner.

Yesterday I booked some classes at S,A.L.T. Lab, one being confirmed for tomorrow afternoon.  The others are waitlisted as passengers can only book one confirmed class per trip.  Chef also said to call by in case someone doesn’t turn up.

Looking at you, @highplainsdrifter, you would enjoy the ship.  Even my lowly deck 5 cabin is spacious. I love deck 5 due to its pro to Dolce Vita.  I collect my green tea from the bar every night on my way “home”!   I have been into a Silver Suite (as favoured by @drron) but have not seen the bigger suites.  I love the Observation Lounge on Deck 11 for a pre-dinner cocktail or an after dinner drink.  

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It looks like a lovely morning in Valencia; one of my favourite cities.  I hope you have plans to enjoy it - the city of Arts and Sciences; the town centre with cathedral and lovely indoor market; the river bed now a strolling area llke a long park, etc.  It always seems to be as very civilised place.

• Like 3

I’m having trouble connecting to WiFi on my iPad, so I’ll post yesterday’s photos later.  However, I was back just in time to join my S.A.L.T. Lab class to make paella. Valencia style; no seafood! It tasted delicious. (My team mate and I removed the skin before serving.)

IMG_3042.thumb.jpeg.7336881611507b0408885baa5e02c131.jpeg

IMG_3043.thumb.jpeg.63e1d6e35977e301a1b6a6b097fe0038.jpeg

• Like 5