Dawn to the West

Port Power

Thursday 23 November 2023.  Cadiz, Spain.  

This was an overnight stay in port.  Nothing much to see from the ship, but Cadiz is a fascinating city and well worth seeing.  I well remember seeing the Phoenician sarcophagi five and a half years ago, as well as the Roman theatre.  There are lovely gardens to walk through, and all right near the port.

IMG_3207.thumb.jpeg.bac939c3aa0098be3545aae99378ee18.jpeg

IMG_3208.thumb.jpeg.387bd638d11ae42ce549f39969ce2ffc.jpeg

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 6

Sorry, Port, I don't want to hijack your thread but I am on board now and feel the need to report on a change that quite startled me and may be of interest to some SS oldsters.

Last night I went to La T for dinner as I always do on the first night of a cruise and after being given the menu I wanted to ask 'where's the rest of it?'

Having become accustomed to the La T menu over my previous 500 SS days (oh, so accustomed) I wouldn't have minded a change but I really didn't expect on my SS day 501 to face a micro-miniaturised version - below is the entire menu, I hope the pix load OK and are adequate, I was so taken aback I didn't pay attention to quality - the only thing unchanged is the desserts, and they could definitely have done with an update, although I bailed out and went to the Arts for sweet things as I often do.

PS the quality of my food was fine, it was just the choice I found lacking.

IMG_0260.HEIC IMG_0258.HEIC IMG_0259.HEIC

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

Sorry about the download thing,

I'll see if these load as pix.

If you click on them they should come a bit bigger.

Again, this is the entire menu - 3 antipasti, 2 primi, 3 pasta, and 6 main - 2 fish, 2 meat (both cow) and 2 vegetarian. Very stodgy vegetarian offerings at that.

I hope they change it every three days as usual, or I'll have to cancel all the bookings I have made for this cruise.

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 1

We had the old Terraza Menu on the Muse until we reached Singapore on November 8th. But on the Singapore to Carns sector it was the abbreviated version. Despite our warnings one of our trivia team had the Osso buco and it was so tough as to be nearly inedible. I also thought the Lasagna was a poor imitation of that on past cruises.

6 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Again, this is the entire menu - 3 antipasti, 2 primi, 3 pasta, and 6 main - 2 fish, 2 meat (both cow) and 2 vegetarian. Very stodgy vegetarian offerings at that.

I hope they change it every three days as usual, or I'll have to cancel all the bookings I have made for this cruise.

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

I agree.  I was quite shocked on my first night at LaT.  Where’s the rest of the menu?  I am not a fan of La Terrazza anyway (I have coeliac disease), and this menu certainly didn’t help!

This is disappointing news.  Perhaps an abbreviated menu will enhance the speed of service in LaT, especially in face of staffing challenges.

Spaghetti aglio e olio has often been my default entree if nothing else on the menu appealed.  It does not appear to be on the abbreviated menu.  Does anyone have experience ordering a simple dish like this without the 24 hours notice?

5 hours ago, Observer said:

This is disappointing news.  Perhaps an abbreviated menu will enhance the speed of service in LaT, especially in face of staffing challenges.

Spaghetti aglio e olio has often been my default entree if nothing else on the menu appealed.  It does not appear to be on the abbreviated menu.  Does anyone have experience ordering a simple dish like this without the 24 hours notice?

1.  OBSERVER:

I haven't had very recent Dawn experiences and options, but when I was on Nova, menus shown in the dining room for La Terrazza were abbreviated 2 of the 4 times I went (the TV still showed the full menus which was misleading if one tried to plan ahead). 

Once, with 24 hours notice, I ordered  a special but simple dish (basically liver and onions) for service at dinner in LT the next evening, and everything went smoothly (also delicious).

Another time I ordered a special dish with 24+ notice for lunch in Atlantide (MDR) and I timely received it (though it wasn't great).

The MD in Atlantide told me is that their usual policy is to only do special orders for Atlantide, not LT but she agreed to accomodate me for LT anyway (maybe because they weren't super busy?) where I already had a table reserved the next night and preferred sitting  -- I don't like jockeying for a table as a solo at dinner in walk-in dining rooms like Atlantide).

With extra effort, (maybe through the butler, or in person) you could likely find out ahead of time when/if they will have abbreviated menus so you can properly plan for special orders, if not in LT then in Atlantide.

2.  PORT POWER:  (and others with special dietary needs, e.g., celiac disease).  SS should be notified well before boarding if you have special dietary needs.  Then they should be reminded after you board in the venues you think you will eat.  They do their best to accomodate you (and typically do an excellent job, from what I have heard)  but of course it is common sense to check, and remind, and check and remind again just in case when there are different staff , especially if you have a severe problem (e.g., like a shellfish allergy that can cause anaphylactic shock, and then you should also be carrying an epi pen etc.).

40 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

2.  PORT POWER:  (and others with special dietary needs, e.g., celiac disease).  SS should be notified well before boarding if you have special dietary needs.  Then they should be reminded after you board in the venues you think you will eat.  They do their best to accomodate you (and typically do an excellent job, from what I have heard)  but of course it is common sense to check, and remind, and check and remind again just in case when there are different staff , especially if you have a severe problem (e.g., like a shellfish allergy that can cause anaphylactic shock, and then you should also be carrying an epi pen etc.).

I have nearly 100 days on Silversea ships and my dietary need is in my profile and also listed under my suite number.  I  always repeat “coeliac disease” (usually twice) when I order.  I also pre-order a day or two before if I want a dish made for me, such as the soufflé on the menu.  Nevertheless I have still been served spelt with my prawns!  This was just a few nights ago at La T when dining with an officer by invitation.  One must still be vigilant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I haven't had very recent Dawn experiences and options, but when I was on Nova, menus shown in the dining room for La Terrazza were abbreviated 2 of the 4 times I went (the TV still showed the full menus which was misleading if one tried to plan ahead). 

It would be disappointing to have the presented menu differ from the menu presented on the TV.  I generally look at the menu on the TV for La T.  If there is nothing I fancy, I cancel my booking and go to Salt Kitchen.  If there is a dish I fancy, I keep my booking and appear at La T.  I would feel I had been duped/misled if staff could not be bothered to coordinate the printed and TV menus.

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Once, with 24 hours notice, I ordered  a special but simple dish (basically liver and onions) for service at dinner in LT the next evening, and everything went smoothly (also delicious).

Interesting.  You have excellent taste!  This is a favorite dish of mine, featured on the LaT menu a third or a quarter of the nights I have supped there.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jollyjones said:

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

So have they got rid of all of the other dishes normally on the menu or do they have more menu swaps (like multiple per week) now?  What if you want one of the old dishes-can you special order them?

This seems like a big downgrade.  My fear is that SS will do the same to Atlantide.

What is happening to Silversea Food ? from the above comments and the Pictures posted by Drron 29 on another Ship it all looks very uninteresting and well below what ' Long Time ' Supporters of Silversea expect.

Is David Brisland still in charge of Catering across the Fleet ? - If so he needs to get on board and have a serious sort out ( unless this cost cutting is being driven from HO ).

From what I can see the present offerings show little by way of a ' Luxury Experience ', just another downgrading of our favourite Line.

With the substantial Price hykes for 2025 perhaps a look elsewhere is justified ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayflower1 said:

What is happening to Silversea Food ? from the above comments and the Pictures posted by Drron 29 on another Ship it all looks very uninteresting and well below what ' Long Time ' Supporters of Silversea expect.

Is David Brisland still in charge of Catering across the Fleet ? - If so he needs to get on board and have a serious sort out ( unless this cost cutting is being driven from HO ).

From what I can see the present offerings show little by way of a ' Luxury Experience ', just another downgrading of our favourite Line.

With the substantial Price hykes for 2025 perhaps a look elsewhere is justified ?

Oversll, I have found the food to be excellent.  Atlantide still has a comprehensive menu that changes regularly as well as the always available.  SALT is fantastic with its locally inspired menus.  It is only La Terrazza that has made this drastic change.  Customer feedback might find it changing back again!

• Like 3

Its good to hear Port Power that your comments relate only to La Terrazza but as Silversea has such Italian heritage it is still disappointing that The Italian Restaurant in particular is so lacking - From our own experience the Menu has not changed for many years and now to have it  merely reduced in range is regrettable.

Food is of course very personal & subjective but hopefully Customer Feedback will show results.

spoke to the executive chef a few minutes ago.  The abbreviated La T menu was instituted on Silver Nova and is fleet wide.  He also believed the old menu was too long.  He encourages passengers to submit feedback to head office.  He has received comments that this menu is too short, and included the feedback in his report to head office. (Read between the lines, here. 😉.)  You can still order whatever you want with notice.  

So make comments to guest services and write it on your mid cruise report.

• Like 3

Since we're on Dawn, and still moving west....

This is our first SS cruise.  All, including food, has been excellent, with one exception - scheduling.  It's a classic case of the shore based services vs. ship based services being out of sync.

Tried to 'time' formal nights to reservations in specific venues, only to discover once aboard ship that 2 of the 3 formal nights identified in the pre-planner were in fact scheduled for different nights.

Pre-planner dinner reservations confirmed at 8pm in Silver Note magically changed to 9pm.  Wanted 8pm since we had an early shorex the next morning.  Front desk was able to reverse this.  Great service there.

Several shorex confirmed had completely different times once the shorex tickets were received, and even subsequently, making it difficult to make reservations for the SALT lab, for example.  Shorex desk was able to move us to a different slot for the same excursion after speaking with the operator.  Great service there as well.

Our butler (Anthony) is doing great.  On our return from dinner, we were treated to a small (smaller than usual on ships, which was actually very much appreciated) anniversary cake and balloons last night, too.  Best, we were forewarned by our butler, so we didn't have dessert in SALT and were prepared to enjoy our treat.

Edited by canderson
clarity
  • Like 5

Another minor exception.  Wine was offered for dinner (one red, one white) in Alantide our first night.  However, the 'steward' attempted to make that our first order of business before we had even opened the menus and had been able to give any thought as to what we might want to eat.  We said we would wait until we had our meals sorted out.  This was followed up by the 'somm' doing the same thing, and she seemed unhappy about our polite rebuff.

The second night, we ate in SALT, the red/white guy didn't even pay us a visit before our 'sommelier' there appeared, and fully understood our need to choose meals first, then came back with the nicer wine list as well.  I picked the Tignanello (2018).  Kris was on top of things.  She correctly identified it as a highly rated super Tuscan and agreed it would be a good match for our dinners.  Nice surprise -- going rate aboard ship was $135, a better price than I could find it anywhere shoreside in the U.S., assuming you can even find a 2018, which is ready to drink.

• Like 4

Kris is an excellent sommelier.  However, I do need to get up to date with the port experiences.  There will be fewer posts while crossing the Atlantic Ocean, so I will post about on board experiences and venues.

I never pre book dining venues.  Even if I did, the theme of said night would have no influence.  I enjoy every night as it unfolds.

Tonight, formal night, I have been invited to dine with the Human Resources Manager.  I do not know why I receive these invitations, but I always have a very enjoyable and productive night.

• Like 4

Cadiz local.y is pronounced “car-diz” or “caa-diz”, with the emphasis on the first syllable.  It was settled 3,000 years ago by the Phoenicians.  It is the oldest city in Western Europe.  The Phoenicians came from what we know now as Lebanon in the 11th century BC.  They called it Gadiz.  The city is 12 square kilometres in area and cannot expand as it exists on a peninsula.  There was a Roman theatre, which means that Cadiz was an important city.  The capacity of the theatre was for 10,000 people and was built in the 1st century B.C.  It is th3 third largest theatre in Spain.

Two bridges connect Cadiz to the mainland. There are three shipyards on that side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My tour was to the Royal Equestrian School in Jerez.  Jerez, of course, is the home of Sherry.  Along the way we passed the old salt pans where salt used to be produced for the Roman’s’ salary and preservation of fish.  There is still some production of salt, but mainly here were flamingos enjoying fishing for shrimp!

Cod fish and Iberian ham are still dried in salt.  They are buried in salt for two weeks before being removed and air dried.  Pigs are fed on acorns, which produces the best, and most expensive, Iberico ham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Kris is an excellent sommelier.  However, I do need to get up to date with the port experiences.  There will be fewer posts while crossing the Atlantic Ocean, so I will post about on board experiences and venues.

I never pre book dining venues.  Even if I did, the theme of said night would have no influence.  I enjoy every night as it unfolds.

Tonight, formal night, I have been invited to dine with the Human Resources Manager.  I do not know why I receive these invitations, but I always have a very enjoyable and productive night.

They invite solos to these officer dinners because they:

A - don’t believe we can possibly be happy dining on our own. (Oh, so wrong)

B - they need a solo to offset the single officer, they usually add two couples, then you end up with an even number. Apparently an odd number at the table is poor form. (Who cares). 
I often get these invites (they were in abeyance post Covid but have now restarted) the evening usually works fine but I have had a few awful experiences with dreadfully mismatched pax - can never tell how it’s going to turn out!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

They invite solos to these officer dinners because they:

A - don’t believe we can possibly be happy dining on our own. (Oh, so wrong)

B - they need a solo to offset the single officer, they usually add two couples, then you end up with an even number. Apparently an odd number at the table is poor form. (Who cares). 
I often get these invites (they were in abeyance post Covid but have now restarted) the evening usually works fine but I have had a few awful experiences with dreadfully mismatched pax - can never tell how it’s going to turn out!

I was on the TA on Nova early November for 11 nights, solo, and received no table invitations from officers/staff etc at all the entire cruise. However, they did reportedly have 93 solos on board!   I could have been proactive --  if I really wanted to be sure and have opportunities to join officers I would have informed reception and/or the MD to keep me in mind for joining tables to help avoid odd numbers.  But for various reasons on that cruise (including health problems) , I wanted to have flexibility to leave the table early, order my own special wines without potential  awkwardness, and/or dine with pax I met short notice before dinner.

On Seabourn, in contrast, just before,  I received a daily invitation.  But  I only went to a few.  As you said often it is nice to dine on one's own and focus on the food, observing people and the environment, and not worrying about small talk or having concerns about drinking too much to remain polite, etc.  But they didn't have almost 20% solos to accomodate.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 2