Live: Nov 18 2023 Xpedition Galapagos Southern Loop

mahdnc

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from mahdnc! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mahdnc was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

My wife and I will be flying out soon today to Quito.  We have booked the 11 night Quito cruise tour package--and we added an extra night on our own before the cruise tour.  This will be our 16th sailing on Celebrity and our first time to the Galapagos.

@prmssk is currently on Xpedition (Northern Loop) and she is doing a fabulous job with her live thread--the best Galapagos one that I have seen so far and with outstanding photos. If you have not seen it, I would seriously be looking at it (then read mine afterward!).   

As for our trip, here are some details about our trip (link😞

image.thumb.png.433805737f672cf76688e1f11c979426.png

image.png.ac07ef4f8c6e8a163bd7fdd49a143b33.png

• Like 10

It will be a long day of flights today.  3+ hours from ORD - MIA, 4 hour layover, and then a 4+ hours flight from MIA to UIO.  For all the times we have cruised, this will be the first time we have ever been to MIA.

image.png.07d1fdd14eadc7ec434b8dceb306f2b5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I’ve been following the other one as well,  but super excited to follow yours as we will be on the Southern Loop and flying from ORD too!

What type of room do you have on Xpedition?

We have booked an Xpedition Suite (502). I mainly wanted the balcony for seasickness control. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I always take this picture too. I would have expected this hall to be fully decorated already! I always love walking down it, knowing I’m headed off to a new adventure!

I like this area, too. We don’t fly on American very often so I usually don’t get to see it.

• Like 1

Been a real lack of Galapagos reviews and now two! Have been enjoying @prmssk’s review which has set the bar pretty high David 🤣.
This trip is def on my radar and now it will be helpful to compare the two loops! Have a wonderful trip and I hope to hear about all the unique snorkeling adventures! 
Cathy

• Like 4

On Monday I called the Galapagos Desk (866-973-8466) to verify that Celebrity had our independent flight arrangements on file as well as a request to have an extension cord + DI water for my wife’s CPAP which they did. 

About an hour later, the Galapagos Desk called me and said that they noticed my wife and I were flying into Quito a day early.   The agent asked me if I had made hotel arrangements to which I told him that we booked an extra night at the JW Marriott. He asked for my hotel confirmation number and said that he was going to relay that information to the ground team presumably so that it was linked with the reservation that Celebrity has made for us. 

I asked him if Celebrity would be meeting us at the airport to provide ground transportation to the hotel when we arrive at 10:30pm because the Guest Ticket Booklet made it clear that we would not (screenshot below).  The agent said that we would because we are staying at the JW Marriott and went on to say that if we weren’t, then we’d have to get our own ride.   

image.png.229e1773a5b81d119c4d3e25abf527

• Thanks 1

Our 2 year old dog, Daisy, sensed she was being left behind when we were packing last night. A month ago when my wife was packing to go on a trip by herself to see her parents, Daisy actually placed her favorite toy in my wife’s open suitcase as if to hint that she should also be going. Last night, Daisy tried a different hint that she should be coming on this cruise:

IMG_8875.thumb.jpeg.46b910a81cf512a1a9bd5a6bc8ffaf3b.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 7
  • Haha 7

Xpedition was purchased by Celebrity and put into service in 2004. So by my count this is her 20th year of Celebrity service.  I found online this 2004 e-brochure which is a bit interesting.  The Penthouse Suite that @prmssk is currently staying at and there Royal Suite next to it didn’t exist back then. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Xpedition was purchased by Celebrity and put into service in 2004. So by my count this is her 20th year of Celebrity service.  I found online this 2004 e-brochure which is a bit interesting.  The Penthouse Suite that @prmssk is currently staying at and there Royal Suite next to it didn’t exist back then. 

Interesting.  Since the introduction of the Flora, all the deck 3 ocean view staterooms (and I think some of the deck 4 ones) were turned into crew cabins.  I can see why they added three staterooms to deck 6 as that open deck area just doesn't get much use plus the ship is now half the capacity of what it used to be.  And the forward balconies above the bridge for the penthouse and royal suites are huge perks over the pretty narrow side balconies.

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We'll be flying into Quito on Dec 8 to start our Galapagos adventure on the Flora. Here's hoping you have a wonderful time and create a bunch of memories that will last a lifetime!!

We arrive on the 7th for our Xpedition cruise on the 9th. Maybe we'll see you at the hotel!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

We arrive on the 7th for our Xpedition cruise on the 9th. Maybe we'll see you at the hotel!

Possibly. Maybe in the breakfast buffet line on the 9th, as we will be getting ready for our Quito excursion, and you'll probably be getting ready for your flight to Baltra.

@mahdnc, you are going to have such an awesome time!! There is just so much wildlife to see there, both flora and fauna!! I still remember back in 2015 when we did the Southern Loop on the Xpedition and stopped at Espanola Island where we hiked over to a spot to watch the albatross fly around and then try to "gracefully" land near their nests, and a Galapagos mockingbird landed on my hat! Get ready to have a great time!!

• Like 2

IMG_8927.thumb.jpeg.bca2c62941a4afc2a08638f422df766e.jpeg
We are in the middle of our 4 hour layover in MIA. Truthfully I was expecting it to be a lot sunnier. Instead it’s rainy and dreary which we can get back home in Chicago. 

We took advantage of our Priority Pass membership through Chase Sapphire and had a free meal (up to $30 pp) at the Corona Beach House near Gate D23. It’s an ok bar and grill. Then we headed to the Turkish Airlines Lounge (Priority Pass) near Gate E1. It was pretty crowded with other Priority Pass passengers (photo). We were able to find a table and seats next to a wall outlet so we’re good. 

IMG_8926.thumb.jpeg.d563ccb46d9493047a6b95d92f8274d4.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

I know you have been talking about a Galapagos cruise for a long time. It's finally here!

I know you will have an amazing time. It's been 8 1/2 years since we did this, and every time I see someone post a review or picture it bring back such great memories

• Thanks 1