Upgrade

JohnGc

Is an upgrade to a suite from a balcony cabin for an extra $794 on a 7 night cruise ( Luminosa ) a fair offer. Not that I am going to take them up on the offer it just seemed a bit high and I like to choose where my staterooms are situated. Just curious as it is the first time we have been offered an upgrade. 

30 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Is an upgrade to a suite from a balcony cabin for an extra $794 on a 7 night cruise ( Luminosa ) a fair offer. Not that I am going to take them up on the offer it just seemed a bit high and I like to choose where my staterooms are situated. Just curious as it is the first time we have been offered an upgrade. 

I've been in both a balcony cabin and an Ocean Suite on Luminosa. Do you know what category of Suite it is? I didn't find there were any suite perks of value (to me) on Carnival and the balcony rooms are quite large anyway. Yes, I enjoyed the suite, because it was a suite, but I wouldn't say it added anything extra to my cruise. It does have a shower over bath if that's a concern. The bath is a spa as well but that isn't a benefit to me. 

If it is a Cloud 9 Suite category that gives you free access to the thermal suite onboard I would probably take it as that cost me $310 for a couple anyway (I believe that price may have gone up a lot since I was last onboard in April too), and I think its one of the best thermal suites on any ship I have been on.

It's really personal choice. Is the upgrade price total, or per person?

• Like 1

If it were me, I would investigate the current advertised price of a suite for your sailing, compared to your balcony and if the difference is more than $794 then decide if you want to outlay an extra $113 per day. Have not sailed on Luminosa, so cannot comment on the difference between suites and balconies on that ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

If it were me, I would investigate the current advertised price of a suite for your sailing, compared to your balcony and if the difference is more than $794 then decide if you want to outlay an extra $113 per day. Have not sailed on Luminosa, so cannot comment on the difference between suites and balconies on that ship.

For a 7 day cruise, I'd rather have $794 extra spending money. I used the balcony on Luminosa very day.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mum and son said:

I've been in both a balcony cabin and an Ocean Suite on Luminosa. Do you know what category of Suite it is? I didn't find there were any suite perks of value (to me) on Carnival and the balcony rooms are quite large anyway. Yes, I enjoyed the suite, because it was a suite, but I wouldn't say it added anything extra to my cruise. It does have a shower over bath if that's a concern. The bath is a spa as well but that isn't a benefit to me. 

If it is a Cloud 9 Suite category that gives you free access to the thermal suite onboard I would probably take it as that cost me $310 for a couple anyway (I believe that price may have gone up a lot since I was last onboard in April too), and I think its one of the best thermal suites on any ship I have been on.

It's really personal choice. Is the upgrade price total, or per person?

Price is starting at $794 per stateroom so guessing the lowest category. Shower over the bath is a no no  for us old couple. We also like to choose our own position of our stateroom between cabin decks being light sleepers. Have always been content with balcony cabins but was curious about the upgrade I always thought they were at a lot lower cost. I don't suppose the beds would be much softer either.😊

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Our first time on the Luminosa but reviews do favour the balcony cabins. I just feel that we cant justify the $794 for a bit of extra room. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Price is starting at $794 per stateroom so guessing the lowest category. Shower over the bath is a no no  for us old couple. We also like to choose our own position of our stateroom between cabin decks being light sleepers. Have always been content with balcony cabins but was curious about the upgrade I always thought they were at a lot lower cost. I don't suppose the beds would be much softer either.😊

Shower over bath was an issue for my parents as well, and the TV is in a very awkward location in the suites. I think you're very wise staying with a balcony cabin in the location you prefer.

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Shower over bath was an issue for my parents as well, and the TV is in a very awkward location in the suites. I think you're very wise staying with a balcony cabin in the location you prefer.

55 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Thank you libby. Yes very content with our decision. Would like to thank all for their thoughts as always very helpful. 🙂 

• Like 2

Carnival is different to most. As mentioned somewhat already, their suites don't have much in the way of perks - just priority boarding, priority restaurant bookings and not much more. Carnival suites are cheaper than most because of this, as you are mostly paying extra for the bigger bit of real estate.

If you were after a cloud 9 suite, no doubt you would already have booked a cloud 9 balcony. There is more change cloud 9 suite upgrades would be offered to those booked in a cloud 9 balcony.

Also be aware, the offer may only be for a Junior suite, which Carnival lists a one of their suite categories.