How long did you have to wait to get a reply after a complaint?

PplusA

We felt the need to make a complaint after a recent cruise where an issue was unable to be dealt with to our satisfaction onboard.

But it has no been 12 days since that complaint and we have heard nothing. Just wondering what anyone else's experience has been in the same situation?

Thanks.    

We had difficulty disembarking in Valletta due to lack of wheelchair assistance and whilst this was down to the Port Authority, rather than Oceania, we felt the staff were really uninterested in our plight.

I wrote to Oceania and it was several weeks before we had a response.

I think I was just venting because we were made to feel like … you’ve disembarked, no longer our responsibility, no need to even be helpful! 
I think a lot depends on your ‘complaint’ as to how quickly they answer, if at all!

• Like 1

I registered a complaint on the last day of the cruise (Nov 1) that the leftover OBCs I had asked to be applied to gratuities showed up on my final statement as forfeited. I have yet to get any confirmation that the issue has be addressed. Thinking I should write to someone. But who?

Our complaint was about a visit to one of the speciality restaurants on the last night of our cruise. For various reasons  (I won’t go into now as we think it’s fair to give Oceania an opportunity to put things right first) we felt we had no option but to leave the restaurant before getting our meal. As that meal was part of our paid for package we feel we should have some sort of refund as a minimum as not only did it ruin our evening but cast a shadow over the entire cruise.

We emailed a compliant to customer services and got an automated reply saying it would be looked into and gave us a reference number. After 12 days and not getting a reply we sent another email quoting the reference number and received another automated reply, but this time it said that it can take up to 28 days to receive any form of reply after the issue has been investigated. It would have been helpful if that timescale had been given on the first automated reply.

2 minutes ago, PplusA said:

Our complaint was about a visit to one of the speciality restaurants on the last night of our cruise. For various reasons  (I won’t go into now as we think it’s fair to give Oceania an opportunity to put things right first) we felt we had no option but to leave the restaurant before getting our meal. As that meal was part of our paid for package we feel we should have some sort of refund as a minimum as not only did it ruin our evening but cast a shadow over the entire cruise.

We emailed a compliant to customer services and got an automated reply saying it would be looked into and gave us a reference number. After 12 days and not getting a reply we sent another email quoting the reference number and received another automated reply, but this time it said that it can take up to 28 days to receive any form of reply after the issue has been investigated. It would have been helpful if that timescale had been given on the first automated reply.

I think you may be on shaky ground here.

Lots of things are included in the package but not  refundable if you don’t use them breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner/speciality dining. If you paid extra for dining then that may be a different story.

However, in the grand scheme of things your complaint is probably not priority especially given all the port changes all cruise lines have been forced to make recently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I think you may be on shaky ground here.

Lots of things are included in the package but not  refundable if you don’t use them breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea/dinner/speciality dining. If you paid extra for dining then that may be a different story.

However, in the grand scheme of things your complaint is probably not priority especially given all the port changes all cruise lines have been forced to make recently.

It’s not so much a case of we didn’t use, more of a case we were unreasonably prevented from using.

On 11/16/2023 at 3:16 AM, PplusA said:

We felt the need to make a complaint after a recent cruise where an issue was unable to be dealt with to our satisfaction onboard.

But it has no been 12 days since that complaint and we have heard nothing. Just wondering what anyone else's experience has been in the same situation?

Thanks.    

Is it possible to give us the details and ship.. so we can tell you the correct person to write  to??

Jancruz1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Is it possible to give us the details and ship.. so we can tell you the correct person to write  to??

Jancruz1

The ship was Sirena and I have contacted Oceania customer services UK and been given a reference number so I think my email has landed in the correct place. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Good Luck!!

Jancruz1

Not that big a deal, you can always tell how good a company is by how they deal with complaints. The  restaurant manager was very apologetic at the time but admitted there was nothing he could do as it was the last night. If I think they haven’t done the right thing there are always other cruise lines 🙂

14 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Old issue.   I believe Oceania let’s you donate refundable credit, not unrefundable.  You can gift your money, not theirs. 

I was told I could donate it to Crew Fund or extra gratuities (on top of standard gratuities, which were paid with OBCs). The person at the desk took my information and said the amount would be applied to Crew. When I did not see it reflected on my statement, I called reception and they said they would check into it. At no time did anyone tell me that the leftover amount could NOT be applied to gratuities.

18 hours ago, PplusA said:

The ship was Sirena and I have contacted Oceania customer services UK and been given a reference number so I think my email has landed in the correct place. Thank you.

I hope you get a response, although I feel it might not be to your satisfaction. If the restaurant manager couldn’t resolve it, I doubt customer service will be able to. I can’t imagine what would happen that caused you to leave without having your meal but given the limited amount of information you’ve provided, I’d sorry to say, the choice was yours to leave the restaurant. 

• Like 3

I doesn’t look like the OP needs any help here to resolve the problem that caused them to email Oceania with their complaint. The question was how long they would wait for Oceania to respond. With limited details they provided I’d think it might be more time than they expected if Oceania decided that the case isn’t their priority. I guess no one on this board will be able to give them a better estimate.

10 hours ago, PplusA said:

Not that big a deal, you can always tell how good a company is by how they deal with complaints. The  restaurant manager was very apologetic at the time but admitted there was nothing he could do as it was the last night. If I think they haven’t done the right thing there are always other cruise lines 🙂

Don’t know if this was your first cruise with Oceania but it would seem a little drastic to stop sailing with them over one spoilt meal!

Think you might fast run out of cruise lines.

Nothing in life is perfect!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

The issues were multiple instances of dreadful customer service along with 2 instances of hygiene failures. I think the restaurant was grossly overbooked and things got out of hand for them as it was the last night. I’m certain that other guests also left.

Edited by PplusA

3 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Don’t know if this was your first cruise with Oceania but it would seem a little drastic to stop sailing with them over one spoilt meal!

Think you might fast run out of cruise lines.

Nothing in life is perfect!

We have been on multiple cruises with various companies but never had an experience on any that has required a complaint previously.  It wouldn’t be just the spoilt meal experience but how they deal with it which might make up our mind.

Edited by PplusA
Editing

OP, if you don't receive the response you want to your post-cruise written complaint, you may wish to bring in a consumer advocate like Elliott.org or Consumer Rescue

Both sites offer services for free. They also warn that threatening to never use a product again can backfire - many travel providers are more willing to issue future credits than refunds. Not saying you have put it in these terms in your complaint to O, but just in case

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PplusA said:

The issues were multiple instances of dreadful customer service along with 2 instances of hygiene failures. I think the restaurant was grossly overbooked and things got out of hand for them as it was the last night. I’m certain that other guests also left.

But did those other guests ask for compensation? 

Let's be honest here, in this grand scheme of things,  your complaint is pretty petty.  You don't get compensation because you didn't eat a meal that had no additional cost.  Complaints like this are the reason true issues aren't dealt with properly because it appears that people are just begging for free things.  Which is litterally what you're doing. 

If you don't like the service,  don't go book again.  Your experience does not deserve compensation.