Port Everglades Closed

radarcruiser

Currently onboard Silhoutte. We are circling out at sea awaiting the opening. Captain says now earliest alongside pier is now 9am. All debarkation pushed back 2 hours now. Captain says this is dependent on port opening and pilot being able to get aboard.  Also our pier is now Pier 18. 

Edited by radarcruiser
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. I hate this for those who have an early flight. This is one of those unforeseen circumstances that makes booking a later flight more ideal. Our return flight after Thanksgiving is for 10:45.  High winds have been an issue along the Florida coast off and on all month.  Maybe I will change the flight time. 
Safe travels, Op!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

Captain George just updated us again. He says winds still gusting to 50 in the port and they won’t send the pilot boat out in that. Now earliest alongside pier is 10am.  That is subject to change if winds stay up. 

Thank you for the update.  Are there other ships waiting to dock as well?  I'm guessing the pier is more quiet on a Thursday.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you on the next cruise out?  If so, did Celebrity notify you of delays?

We are on the next cruise. They notified us earlier that there would be a 2 hour delay.  They said it could be later based on weather. They are sending an update at 9:30. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The latest from the CD on board Silhouette is all things related to debarkation are pushed back 3 hours,(7:20 tag is now 10:20 AM)  as of the latest info, but again, that’s the estimate based on best case scenario, pilot is not on board.  Good size swells but she handles them very well. Capt George and CD Mike very informative. Extended hours in the Oceanview Cafe. 
I dunno, but unless you have a wedding to get to, getting 3 extra cruise hours is ok with me! 😉 If I had an early flight, I’d need to change it but I wouldn’t be missing a cruise 🤣 (so I always arrive early to the port city!) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you for the update.  Are there other ships waiting to dock as well?  I'm guessing the pier is more quiet on a Thursday.

That’s what we’ve been told- no ships can dock till port is open/safe to transport pilots to the ocean liners. 

I am in the Ft. Lauderdale area now. This storm started Tuesday afternoon, heavy rain Tuesday night and continuing throughout Wednesday. A lot of areas received about 8 inches of rain. There was flooding in Ft. Lauderdale and flood warnings throughout So.  Fla. It was also very windy. It is starting to clear but there is a wind advisory until later this afternoon.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mlparker said:

Hurricane/storm season lasts until the end of November in Florida. In the last few years, it really gone all the way until the end of November. Good luck!

To be more precise, hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30--everywhere. 😀 

Regarding flights, some who booked 11 or later to be on the safe side will also be affected by this. I'm not sure I'd book flights based on a one-off. Does it suck? Yes. Should we plan for meteors too?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Just now, shellunderwater said:

A giant KA-BOOM!

Not really. Those who booked noon flights will be affected by this one. 

I'm not sure why everyone takes such satisfaction in pointing to one rare occurrence and saying, "Toldja so!" 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Not really. Those who booked noon flights will be affected by this one. 

I'm not sure why everyone takes such satisfaction in pointing to one rare occurrence and saying, "Toldja so!" 

I'm not sure why others take such satisfaction in deciding for others that someone is taking great satisfaction in something.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I take no satisfaction in any of this.  It's unfortunate for both those on board and those who are eagerly waiting to embark.  Delays in debarkation are few and far between but when it does happen, it should at the very least give one pause in their future travel planning.  As hurricane season can extend through the entire month of November, I just looked into rebooking my 10:45 flight to a later time.  The difference in fare to do so has also given me pause.  As has been pointed out, even those with later flight times are impacted by this delay...so I'm going to roll the dice and plan for a positive outcome.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Bookmarking this thread for answer to all those “can I make a 9:00 flight “ posts

Why ? Just ignore such a dumb, oops, delete " dumb " question.

( Too many factors to consider and everybody's " speed limit " is different )