Visa refunds?

39august

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Always amazes me that they have the technology to take the money immediately - but takes a week+ to get it back.

I agree with you 200%.  But, to be clear, this isn't a problem limited to Celebrity or even just cruising.  Heck, seems for some reason, anything under 8 weeks is good service.

I canceled an excursion on Nov 1st and still have not received a refund (AmEx).  I called Celebrity on Tuesday the 14th and was told it was processed that day (don't believe it) and that it was an issue with my credit card.  Hung up with them and called AmEx and was told they've received nothing from Celebrity.  Ended up having to file a dispute (I have emails confirming the amount that was supposed to be refunded).  Very annoying, and now I'm losing more money because I'm afraid to cancel and rebook a different excursion that's significantly cheaper than when I booked it, because I'm afraid it will happen again.  Ugh.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BettyCruiser said:

The amount of time it takes to credit to your visa has nothing to do with Celebrity at all it is totally dependent on your credit card. The visa I used to use takes 7-10 days, now I use my AMX and it takes one day. 

So my refund that took 2 months because Celebrity failed to actually process it was my credit card's fault? 

I have probably cancelled upwards of 30 items with Celebrity and  RCL, some because of cancelled cruises and others because of a cheaper alternative in a sale. Had delays in about 5, none due to my credit cards.

The answer as with so many things is "it depends."  There is a minimum amount of time it takes for transactional data to flow between banks.  That can take several days.  The sending bank and the receiving bank also will have their own policies that determine how fast it makes it back to your card account.  The same is true with cash deposits, too.  On the front end, there is still a delay between the time you swipe your card and see the charge and when the company gets the cash for the transaction.  Modern systems will give you credit with the customer on your account, but they don't really get the money immediately.

Beyond that, the business undoubtedly has business rules surrounding who can issue refunds and how that process works.  The refund may have to be processed in a few different systems to get out the door.