Yeshiva Week 2024 Cruises Check Your Dates

15 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I would be unhappy to be on one of these cruises.  I have zero problems with Jews (had been engaged to one in college)   But, I'd really dislike not having access to all the public areas, and we also deliberately picked a low kid time period.   Fortunately, I picked February.   I suspect many people pick January after the first week for the same reason.   

While there are some reliably “high kid” times, I don’t think there are any reliably “low kid time period” cruises on Oasis class ships.  There can be a surprising number if kids of many sailings.  Just because kids are in school in your hometown does not mean all kids are in school.  Not only are there many pre-school child, there now many home schoolers.  There are also plenty of parents who will pull kids out of school for a trip.  Then there are schools with alternate calendars, both domestic and abroad.  For example, my schools only got one day off for President’s day in February while in other parts of the country, there is a week break.  I have also boarded ships to find a large number of families vacationing from Brazil, for example. 

We were on one cruise with a good number of those who follow Jainism.  Royal closed off a section of the Windjammer which was limited to the serving of food prepared for Jains.  

No other venue was closed and we actually enjoyed partaking of some of the Jainist foods.  Not sure why Royal couldn't do the same thing for Yeshiva week.  Closing part of the Windjammer would allow full use of the Solarium Bistro.

• Like 2

There were numerous pre-covid threads on this topic. From them I learned that Yeshiva cruises never have a Saturday embarkation nor disembarkation (religious reasons). If this matters to you, just check what day of the week the cruise you're looking at departs and returns back....

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We were on one cruise with a good number of those who follow Jainism.  Royal closed off a section of the Windjammer which was limited to the serving of food prepared for Jains.  

No other venue was closed and we actually enjoyed partaking of some of the Jainist foods.  Not sure why Royal couldn't do the same thing for Yeshiva week.  Closing part of the Windjammer would allow full use of the Solarium Bistro.

It appears Jainism doesn't have some of the same dietary requirements that Kosher does. It's easy enough to just prepare food that works Jainism, whereas for Kosher, the cooking equipment has to be prepared. The group sailing will bring a Mashgiach (Rabbi) on board to properly prepare the kitchen. While they will bring their own cookware, dishes, etc, the ovens, stoves, etc have to be Koshered. It's easiest to just do this at the Solarium Bistro to minimize passenger impact. Since the Windjammer is a single galley, they can't do the entire galley. The group will also source their own food.

When not sailing on a special sailing like this, those that request Kosher meals are served "TV Dinners" that are brought aboard frozen and reheated, served in plastic for the eater to unwrap to keep it separated from the oven.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Would be nice if Royal had a week with no kids under 18 were allowed. Like Virgin Voyages.    We were on an Oasis cruise last August  full of kids.  They were not at all supervised.  Sitting in elevators and pushing every button.  Running in hallways,  shouting and going nuts.  Some parents think well its their vacation also, so don't bother me.  

So sad that people behave without regard to others.  Who cares if the solarium bistro is reserved-so many other options on a cruise ship.  Enjoy your cruise.

This sounds what some say only happens on yeshiva week. Are you sure this was august? Maybe your memory is off?? 

• Haha 1

I'm on the Anthem cruise.  I intentionally picked the date almost 2 years ago.  With more families on board, I knew the type of shore excursion I liked would have fewer participants, and am hoping the stand-up flowrider sessions are likewise less crowded.  As a bonus, with so many participating in the Fresh Kosher dining plan, I found Specialty Restaurants have many more openings, and I've booked Chops twice.  A big target demographic of RCI is multi-generational travel.  Many times I've talked with 5 generation families cruising together.  I say thank-you, because it makes my vacations so much more price friendly.  Running in the halls doesn't bother me - I can't hear anyway.  Elevator races, I don't notice.  I take the stairs.  When I finally get "old" and no longer enjoy the "younger" (i.e. unqualified for AARP) crowd, there's always QM-II.

3 hours ago, gmerick said:

I'm on the Anthem cruise.  I intentionally picked the date almost 2 years ago.  With more families on board, I knew the type of shore excursion I liked would have fewer participants, and am hoping the stand-up flowrider sessions are likewise less crowded.  As a bonus, with so many participating in the Fresh Kosher dining plan, I found Specialty Restaurants have many more openings, and I've booked Chops twice.  A big target demographic of RCI is multi-generational travel.  Many times I've talked with 5 generation families cruising together.  I say thank-you, because it makes my vacations so much more price friendly.  Running in the halls doesn't bother me - I can't hear anyway.  Elevator races, I don't notice.  I take the stairs.  When I finally get "old" and no longer enjoy the "younger" (i.e. unqualified for AARP) crowd, there's always QM-II.

Running in the halls isn't about noise. It's about plowing down someone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

Running in the halls isn't about noise. It's about plowing down someone.

I have yet to be on a cruise that kids are not running down halls. - 

If that is an issue RC is not for you.

This topic needs to be retired -  

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

I have yet to be on a cruise that kids are not running down halls. - 

If that is an issue RC is not for you.

This topic needs to be retired -  

Why because you say so?  You seem to think your opinion is the only one that counts.  That's not how this works.   We've been on many without kids running wild.  The few we've had them running up and down hallways, around corners and up and down stairs were over Spring Break in particular and there were too many kids for the kids programs to handle.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BND said:

Why because you say so?  You seem to think your opinion is the only one that counts.  That's not how this works.   We've been on many without kids running wild.  The few we've had them running up and down hallways, around corners and up and down stairs were over Spring Break in particular and there were too many kids for the kids programs to handle.  

Oh  - this happens on non yeshiva break cruises.

Im sorry you are triggered by my opinions. You seem to have pretty strong views on this thread so I’m surprised you think my opinions are so earth shattering. 

There is a thought that if you cannot handle something maybe its not meant for to you. Kids are on every ship. Some behave or are supervised better than others. IF YOU expect not to have kids on a ship and for them NOT TO act like kids…You are wrong. 

Maybe ill see you on the Queen Mary soon!

• Haha 1