Indian Food in Princess MDR?

Plato123

I think I recall reading that, if requested in advance, an Indian meal could be provided.  I know that we were offered an Indian meal in our Royal Suite on a Celebrity cruise, prepared by our Indian butler, but we reluctantly had to refuse as we expected our suite would smell of spices for the rest of the cruise.

Does any one know if special requests can be made for meals, such as an Indian meal, to be served in a MDR on Princess?

1 hour ago, Plato123 said:

Does any one know if special requests can be made for meals, such as an Indian meal, to be served in a MDR on Princess?

Yes, you can make an off menu request for Indian food in the MDR. Place your order the night before. We asked, "Chef's Choice, with chicken."  We also ordered it spicy and it came to the table so mild a 5 year old could eat it, but was pretty good.

As mentioned, the buffet usually has at least one Indian item.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the occasional Indian dish that appears on the menu in MDR is anything to go by then i wouldn't even bother asking. I can make a better Indian meal than Princess chefs and at least I know what the dishes comprise of which is more than some of the staff.

Yes you can and they will deliver.  Funny story.  I ordered Chicken MARSALA since I don't eat veal.  The smell hit me as soon as the meal was placed on the table and the big bowl of rice was another clue.  The restaurant manager left out the R and I ended up with Chicken MASALA.  Thankfully they were on it right away and the correct meal was prepared and served quickly.

On our Coral Princess cruise last spring our senior server was Indian.  My sister, traveling with us, had spent a summer in India a decade or more ago on a Fulbright program for teachers.  The server was thrilled and asked if we (3 siblings and spouses) would like to try some Indian food.  Why not?  He told us the chef was Indian and would make us something special. 

The next night we had a delicious dish and offered our profuse thanks.  Our cruise was 28 days long and and we were brought a special dish to share about every 3rd night (plus an Indian dish was on the menu a couple of times a week) with all the condiments.   Even when we weren't having Indian food he brought the condiments (DH and my BIL loved them the spicier the better).  It was a wonderful and unexpected experience.

• Like 1

I ordered Indian vegetarian each night of our 10 day Alaska cruise.  It wasn't great.  I pre-ordered with the head guy in the dining room.  Even though we had the same dining room reservation every night, we never had the same area of the dining room.  They always had to hunt him down to verify I had actually ordered an Indian meal.  The food was good once I got it but it was a hassle and there were only 3 main dishes that kept repeating. We're going on a 16 day Hawaii next month and I won't be ordering Indian food again.  As others have stated, the buffet always has at least one dish and it's very good.  Unfortunately, I never saw an Indian breakfast offered.

I think you'd better off in the buffet, sampling what they have there. I was on Royal in September, and they really upped the Indian game, having dishes themed by Indian region, so I saw and tasted a lot of things I'd never had before on a ship or restaurant. You can try a little of everything and decide if you like something. Usually I either try a few things at the buffet when it opens and eat after 8, or eat in the MDR and do buffet sampling later. The same goes for other lines--NCL and Celebrity have good Indian buffet food, whereas Carnival actually includes Indian vegetarian every night as an MDR option, which I enjoy.