Princess compared to Celebrity

stevenr597

My sister is trying to convert me to Celebrity (I am a lifelong Princess cruiser) and I've noticed several things in looking over their website: you pay more for refundable deposits, there are no laundromats, and I'm confused by the class system...she's booking a suite with butler and we can only do a regular balcony, so would we all be able to dine together (besides in the buffet)? And how much is their Wifi per person per day? And gratuities? And do they have a room service fee? I realize this might be better asked on the Celebrity board but some here who have done both might know. I appreciate any insight.

7 minutes ago, doghog said:

Exactly. Threads like this are interesting to read but have zero influence on any our cruise decisions. 

Of course, we’re all capable of making our own decisions, but I do very much appreciate other people’s perspective.  

1 minute ago, rocklinmom said:

My sister is trying to convert me to Celebrity (I am a lifelong Princess cruiser) and I've noticed several things in looking over their website: you pay more for refundable deposits, there are no laundromats, and I'm confused by the class system...she's booking a suite with butler and we can only do a regular balcony, so would we all be able to dine together (besides in the buffet)? And how much is their Wifi per person per day? And gratuities? And do they have a room service fee? I realize this might be better asked on the Celebrity board but some here who have done both might know. I appreciate any insight.

The Celebrity website and the Cruise Critic Celebrity boards are a wealth of information.  You won’t find many Celebrity fans here.  I’m one of very few.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenr597 said:

Celebrity has the new Edge Class Ships.  Some would argue Celebrity is trying  to attract a younger more upscale crowed.  The balcony layout (not a real balcony) is disliked by some.  

We're older than dirt and like the E class ships. The E class ships have limited Deluxe Porthole Verandas (traditional balcony), limited Sunset View Veranda (traditional balcony) and the lots of Infinite Verandas (not a balcony, sliding window). When we book the E class ships we book the DPVs.   

• Like 1

For us IMHO it’s all about what 3-5 week itineraries a cruise line has to offer, and Princess definitely has the advantage over Celebrity in that area. As far as fun, food, and entertainment goes, they’re about even. As far as cruise fares go when comparing X Aqua cabins against PCL Reserve Collection cabins and X Sky Suites versus Vista Suites, PCL also comes out on top. But again, that’s just our opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Of course, we’re all capable of making our own decisions, but I do very much appreciate other people’s perspective.  

Didn't say I don't respect and appreciate others perspectives, opinions, experiences. Positive or negative. Just not letting others influence our cruise decisions. 

As we have seen on these postings. No one is trying to tell anyone which cruise line is the best. 

They are only proving their opinion or what they experienced and like.

If a person only cruises one cruise line, they are missing out on what others have to offer. Some people are afraid to try something different. 

We cruise RCI, CELEBRITY, MSC, NCL & PRINCESS. Have done HAL in the past. We have no favorite line not are cheerleaders for any one.

They all have their pluses & minuses. Just pick what you like or will feel comfortable with.

HAPPY CRUISING! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, doghog said:

Didn't say I don't respect and appreciate others perspectives, opinions, experiences. Positive or negative. Just not letting others influence our cruise decisions. 

I doubt if anyone is trying to influence you.   Most folks just like sharing their experiences.  Wishing you happy sailing whichever ship you sail.

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The Celebrity website and the Cruise Critic Celebrity boards are a wealth of information.  You won’t find many Celebrity fans here.  I’m one of very few.

We agree on something. I'm also in that very few crowd. But I'm also a RC fan. Looking forward to our March 2024 Enchanted cruise. We picked it for the longer itinerary as Celebrity and RC had nothing comparable. Our last Princess cruise was 2010 on the Grand. Lots of changes since then. We also step up a tier level in the Captains Circle for the Enchanted cruise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asctony said:

As we have seen on these postings. No one is trying to tell anyone which cruise line is the best. 

If a person only cruises one cruise line, they are missing out on what others have to offer. Some people are afraid to try something different. 

We cruise RCI, CELEBRITY, MSC, NCL & PRINCESS. Have done HAL in the past. We have no favorite line not are cheerleaders for any one.

They all have their pluses & minuses. Just pick what you like or will feel comfortable with.

HAPPY CRUISING! 

Love your attitude! Thanks for that!

• Thanks 1

We would not call ourselves "fans" of any mass market line, but have done over 30 cruises on Princess and more than 20 on Celebrity.  We stopped cruising on Celebrity after LLP took over the helm (she was recently "retired") and started a series of cut-backs along with cost increases.  That being said, we have always considered Princess and Celebrity more similar than not.  Each line (and the various classes of ships) do have their pros and cons.  We do have some interest in trying one of the "Retreat" suites on Celebrity's Edge Class, but they have always been priced out of our interest since we can cruise on Seabourn for less total money per person/day.

A few years ago, many (including us) considered Celebrity to have the best cuisine of all the mass market lines.  But after all the cut-backs that would no longer seem to be the case.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We would not call ourselves "fans" of any mass market line, but have done over 30 cruises on Princess and more than 20 on Celebrity.  We stopped cruising on Celebrity after LLP took over the helm (she was recently "retired") and started a series of cut-backs along with cost increases.  That being said, we have always considered Princess and Celebrity more similar than not.  Each line (and the various classes of ships) do have their pros and cons.  We do have some interest in trying one of the "Retreat" suites on Celebrity's Edge Class, but they have always been priced out of our interest since we can cruise on Seabourn for less total money per person/day.

A few years ago, many (including us) considered Celebrity to have the best cuisine of all the mass market lines.  But after all the cut-backs that would no longer seem to be the case.

Hank

I have found that the cuisine of the cruise lines has decreased over the past several years, probably the result of inflation and the losses sustained by the cruise lines because of Covid. 

Last year we sailed Celebrity Reflection, Aqua Class, and for the first time disappointed in the selection and size of entrees in the dining room.  I got the impression that most of the effort of Celebrity was going into the new Edge Class

Princess seem to have the better cuisine, but definitely a departure from the days of the daily “Midnight Buffets” 

Taking everything into consideration we feel that our best fit is Club Reserve on Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

We recently tried the MSC's Yacht Club. We ran into several former Celebrity Retreat fans who bailed for the same reason you mentioned. Btw, the Yacht Club is every bit as good as the Retreat as we recall and similar in service, dining, and perks to the small ship lines we have experienced (Viking Ocean and Oceania). A few other cruisers we met at the YC liked NCL's Haven class but we have never cruised on that line.  

On topic, Princess seems to be trying that "ship within a ship" approach with their new Sun Princess ship.

The biggest difference we experienced between Celebrity and Princess was the wine service - dedicated wine servers on Celebrity with a robust wine-by-the-glass selection in proper glassware while Princess is phasing out their Vines venues and serving generic wines (Cabernet, Pinot Noir, etc - no labels) in juice glasses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, loge23 said:

We recently tried the MSC's Yacht Club. We ran into several former Celebrity Retreat fans who bailed for the same reason you mentioned. Btw, the Yacht Club is every bit as good as the Retreat as we recall and similar in service, dining, and perks to the small ship lines we have experienced (Viking Ocean and Oceania). A few other cruisers we met at the YC liked NCL's Haven class but we have never cruised on that line.  

On topic, Princess seems to be trying that "ship within a ship" approach with their new Sun Princess ship.

The biggest difference we experienced between Celebrity and Princess was the wine service - dedicated wine servers on Celebrity with a robust wine-by-the-glass selection in proper glassware while Princess is phasing out their Vines venues and serving generic wines (Cabernet, Pinot Noir, etc - no labels) in juice glasses. 

We discovered MSC's Yacht Club about 6 years ago when the Divina came to Miami.  The first time we tried the YC it completely blew us away and we posted that it was the best value in the entire cruise industry.  At the time the YC cost about $300 PP/day and this was all-inclusive (except for tips).  We thought the YC was a true luxury cruise experience within a mass market vessel.  These days it costs at least $400 pp/day and we still think it is one of the true values in the travel industry.  As to cuisine, we recently cruised on the new Explora Journey 1 (Explora Journeys Cruise Lines) and that luxury ship had the best cuisine (by far) that we have ever experienced in 50 years of extensive cruising (on 17 lines).   Seabourn also remains a terrific value if one can find a cruise for about $500 per person/day.  While that sounds very expensive one should consider it is on a luxury line with a space ratio of about 70:1 and the price is truly all-inclusive.  We once spent a month on a Seabourn cruise and debarked with an onboard bill of zero!  That line includes everything except excursions.  The first time we cruised on Seabourn I recall my first evening in their Observation Lounge when I asked the bar tender to please order me a double order of caviar.  About 15 minutes later a waiter came over to my bar seat with a large platter with a huge helping of delicious caviar surrounded by all the usual fixens (blini, egg, onion, sour cream, etc).  I washed that down with a nice glass of French Champagne...and of course there was no extra charge.

Hank

• Like 4

2 hours ago, loge23 said:

We heard a lot about the Yacht Club and Haven, and in fact, considered several times whether to take it.  

But...you, in the end, are on a mass market ship, and in fact, living in a rather segregated section.  Certainly one can spend most or all of the time is the select area referred for these classes.

But...in the end, my wife and I have decided that if we wish to go that route, to go to a real up scale ship.  There are a variety in this class ranging from Azamara and Oceania, up to Crystal, Seabourne etc.

This is one of the reasons why we have some reservations about the new Sphere Class of Princess which is also going in the ship within a ship concept. 

My wife and I like to stay at the Breakers in Palm Beach, and they are now going to a hotel within a hotel class. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

We heard a lot about the Yacht Club and Haven, and in fact, considered several times whether to take it.  

But...you, in the end, are on a mass market ship, and in fact, living in a rather segregated section.  Certainly one can spend most or all of the time is the select area referred for these classes.

But...in the end, my wife and I have decided that if we wish to go that route, to go to a real up scale ship.  There are a variety in this class ranging from Azamara and Oceania, up to Crystal, Seabourne etc.

This is one of the reasons why we have some reservations about the new Sphere Class of Princess which is also going in the ship within a ship concept. 

My wife and I like to stay at the Breakers in Palm Beach, and they are now going to a hotel within a hotel class. 

To us, this is a fabulous topic :).  We used to have the same debate, and then we started cruising in both the Yacht Club and also on luxury lines.  We find things we like about both and will likely continue to book luxury lines, some Yacht Club, and even a few mass market lines.  It is safe to say we just love to be on cruise ships.

There are pros/cons about small luxury ships and large ship within a ships.  On MSC, we actually enjoy going out to be "with the masses" and enjoying all the various entertianment options that only exist on very large ships.  On the luxury lines, we have really enjoyed our fellow passengers, the terrific space ratios, and laid back atmosphere.  The small ships (we love the 450 passenger Seabourn vessels) are also great when visiting ports.  \

No question that the ship within a ship is a big development in cruising.  In a sense it is a throw back to the olden days when "liners' had 3 or more classes.  We think it makes sense because folks can choose what level best suits their budget and wants.  The irony is that it is the luxury lines where there is little class distinction.  

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, asctony said:

HAPPY CRUISING! 

You are exactly correct! Really, I can't imagine only cruising with one or two cruise lines.  I'm pretty much itinerary driven for the most part and I do like a change up periodically.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, loge23 said:

The wine situation is something that really irks me on Princess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronanc said:

The wine situation is something that really irks me on Princess. 

On our last cruise on the Regal Princess, we went, almost every night to the Wheelhouse.\ Bar to listen to Funch on the piano.  Had a class of Port while listening.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

We have sailed both Celebrity and Princess in the last year and liked both. 

We have 15 days on Princess and 14 days on Celebrity booked over  the next 12 months. 

We will have sailed both old and new ships by the time this year is up for both lines to give us a better feel for both lines. 

We are first time empty nesters and both are delivering an experience we enjoy over our past voyages on other lines with kids in tow. We definitely like that Celebrity does less to cater to kids than Princess and that is a plus for us at this stage in our lives. 

We feel like Princess's flawed Medallion is something we significantly enjoyed despites it's imperfections. It felt like Celebrity is pretty far behind in technology compared to Princess. 

We have preferred the MDR on Celebrity for food quality but felt like Princess a better selection for appetizers and courses although the quality and service tended to  not be as good.  One note is our last Celebrity cruise the dining room dress policy was enforced at all meals which could be problematic for some. 

We preferred the Specialty restaurants on Celebrity as they were a little more upscale but Princess does a good job also. Kudo's to celebrity for creative experiences like Le Petit Chef and Murano which offers tableside prep of several menu items which was top notch. 

Princess has been far superior thus far with their casual dining options that didn't require going to the buffet.  Princess Pizza and Sandwich options during the day really stood out while Celebrity struggle in this regard. Outside the Mast Grill with basically just Hamburgers and Hot Dogs  you have  to go to the MDR or Buffet for lunch which is not something we prefer to do. 

Beverage packages is also a mixed bag  for both.  Although both need significant improvement on stocking what they actually promise I would give Princess the nod for selection but Celebrity the nod  for Bar experiences.   Celebrities World Class Bar, Martini Bar and others deliver an upscale Bar experience with top end cocktails.   I would note though that upgrading to Celebrities Premium package was really frustrating as a premium red glass of wine was almost non existent across all Bars and restaurants on our last cruise. Even utilizing Sommeliers did not improve this situation. One plus for Princess is that they had servers in almost area oft heir ships and offered their app to order drinks on demand also.   Our last cruise on Celebrity over Thanksgiving we received only one drink in the solarium the entire week and servers were non existent.   

As you can tell we like both lines and are working on figuring our which one works best for us long term. 

Entertainment - slight nod to Celebrity for our taste but both are just average for cruises. 

Edited by MattnTricia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do a search engine check on your Celebrity dates.  We don't sail with them any more because the last couple of times we have, there have been HUGE groups of people that resulted in reduced availability of venues and services for those of us who were not part of those groups.

Celebrity won't tell you due to "privacy issues" but if you do a search, you should be able to find out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Do a search engine check on your Celebrity dates.  We don't sail with them any more because the last couple of times we have, there have been HUGE groups of people that resulted in reduced availability of venues and services for those of us who were not part of those groups.

Celebrity won't tell you due to "privacy issues" but if you do a search, you should be able to find out.

Oh, wow!  We’re Elite+ and have never experienced this on  Celebrity.  Perhaps those two times, you were just very unlucky.  Did you do a search before booking?

11 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

We've never experienced what you have on any of our Celebrity cruises. The only event that use to be catered to a large group was the Captains Club gathering in the Sky Lounge for Elite and above. It was only from 5 to 7:PM. Excluding the first night of the cruise.