Transatlantic vs Transpacific - Which do you prefer and why?

We just recently completed our first transpacific cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and after experiencing both it seems our preference is the transatlantic crossing.   Our main reasons where that it seemed there was more to do on the transatlantic cruise both in terms of port stops and onboard as well as there not being enough interesting port stops along the way.  Our stop in New Zealand was the exception.  

What do you all think?  Transpacific vs Transatlantic?  Which is better in your mind and why?  What did I miss?

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

We just recently completed our first transpacific cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and after experiencing both it seems our preference is the transatlantic crossing.   Our main reasons where that it seemed there was more to do on the transatlantic cruise both in terms of port stops and onboard as well as there not being enough interesting port stops along the way.  Our stop in New Zealand was the exception.  

What do you all think?  Transpacific vs Transatlantic?  Which is better in your mind and why?  What did I miss?

For me, the transpacific you were just on is one I have scheduled for next year. It touches many of the places I want to go to, but haven't been.

There are other transpacific cruises that go other routes (to/from Japan or elsewhere in Asia) that don't interest me.

I am not, at this time,  interested in a transatlantic cruise.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question.  I do hope you get some answers. 

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Transpacific is my preference, as there are many more islands in the Pacific. You could cross the Pacific many times and not stop at the same island twice. 

If you didn't stop in many ports that was the result of a poor itinerary. A cruise departing Honolulu could have stopped at any of American Samoa (Pago Pago), Samoa (Apia), Tonga (Nukalofa), Fiji (Suva & Lautoka), Vanatu, New Caledonia (Noumea), etc. They can also stop at a few New Zealand ports.

I have visited each of those ports multiple times and are all great runs ashore.

Just out of interest, what ports did you visit on the trans-Pacific?

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

I do hope you get some answers. 

No worries.  

On 11/18/2023 at 7:56 PM, Heidi13 said:

If you didn't stop in many ports that was the result of a poor itinerary.

That could be.  We stopped in Raiatea, Moorea and Tahiti.  None of the ports in French Polynesia really made me say wow although the weather wasn't really the best.

We also stopped in Wellington when due to weather we were unable to visit Auckland and Bay of Islands. Wellington was by far my favorite stop.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SelectSys said:

No worries.  

That could be.  We stopped in Raiatea, Moorea and Tahiti.  None of the ports in French Polynesia really made me say wow although the weather wasn't really the best.

We also stopped in Wellington when due to weather we were unable to visit Auckland and Bay of Islands. Wellington was by far my favorite stop.  

With so many options on a more direct route between Honolulu and Bay of Islands, opting for Papeete/Moorea is an interesting choice of ports. Raiatea is one of the few islands I haven't visited. Unfortunately, most cruise lines seem to focus on Papeete, which in my opinion, is highly overrated.

In New Zealand, Christchurch (Lyttelton or Akaroa) and Dunedin are also great ports to visit.

Wellington was my very first port on my first trip to sea, at which time we spent 3 great weeks alongside. Been back a few times since and totally agree, it is a great run ashore.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Raiatea is one of the few islands

You haven't missed much.  I am sure it's a beautiful island, but isn't the best in my opinion as a cruise stop.

27 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

direct route between Honolulu and Bay of Islands, opting for Papeete/Moorea

If I try again, I would definitely look for a better routing.

27 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

New Zealand, Christchurch (Lyttelton or Akaroa) and Dunedin are also great ports

I am sure.  These are popular ports for ships departing directly from Australia.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hlitner said:

To us it is about the lovely seadays and you get more sea days on the Pacific then the Atlantic

I like sea days too.  My view is that we didn't get the best weather on the second half of the journey which diminished my enjoyment of the cruise somewhat as I like being outside during the day.  With different weather, I might have a different opinion.  The entertainment and live music was some limited as well.

Edited by SelectSys

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, SelectSys said:

I like sea days too.  My view is that we didn't get the best weather on the second half of the journey which diminished my enjoyment of the cruise somewhat as I like being outside during the day.  With different weather, I might have a different opinion.  The entertainment and live music was some limited as well.

Some cruise lines do a better job than others, when it comes to entertainment.  Unfortunately, HAL is among the worst on those long crossings.  The first time we took HAL (from Seattle to Sydney) we had an excellent group of singers/dancers on the ship (this was when HAL still had Production Shows).  But their entire repertoire included only 4 shows (1 of which was just singing).  At one point these young folks did not do a show for nearly 2 weeks!  We did get friendly with one of the singers and he told us how they all wanted to do some extra entertainment but were constrained by their contracts and HAL's attitude.  At one time, he actually did some extra singing in a lounge (backed by the classical duo) but was soon stopped by the Hotel Manager.  

Even guest entertainers are limited on these long crossings because of logistics.  The ones they do have will normally perform 2 or even 3 shows (a good thing if the entertainer is good).  The best part of our HAL crossing was the amazing Guest Lecturer (Alan Wright) who lectured to SRO Crowds (in the main theater) and got a long standing ovation when he finished his 9th lecture.  Mr. Wright now works primarily on Silversea.  I assume he and his lovely wife realized that if he was going to keep lecturing, it would be to their advantage to do so on a luxury line ::).

Hank

Transpacific.  Excluding the Alaska/Japan route, most transpacifics tend to go through tropical waters so they are much warmer than transatlantics unless you do the Europe to South America repositioning cruises.