Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

18 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

Terry we are boarding on Wednesday (when Jim leaves) and our first day is anchored in Sydney harbour.

Tenders will be in use so I will let you know about the Magic Carpet then.

When we were in Sydney there was a RCL ship sitting out in the harbor and was tendering.   They were rerouted to avoid the Typhoon.   Hope all is back in order with the Magic Carpet.   Even using the regular tendering option was painless.    

There is no visible damage to the Magic Carpet with the exception of a missing glass panel which was missing since Rome.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When we were in Sydney there was a RCL ship sitting out in the harbor and was tendering.   They were rerouted to avoid the Typhoon.   Hope all is back in order with the Magic Carpet.   Even using the regular tendering option was painless.    

There is no visible damage to the Magic Carpet with the exception of a missing glass panel which was missing since Rome.

A poster getting on the Edge after you get off Wednesday said the Edge is Tendering in Sydney Harbor Wednesday. If so, I hope the MC is working or disembarkation and then embarkation will be a crowded mess.

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will be back to Sydney at the End of March but think after a couple more flights to and from Sydney we will be worn out by those LONG Flights.     New Zealand would be incredible for a road trip.      Cruises are great but the limited time in each port limits the ability to really explore.

We got lucky on our flight from LAX to Sydney next month. We were able to upgrade from PE to BC on American for only $1200pp. Each Day AA has 1 night flight to Syd, but Qantas has 2 that leave within 90 minutes of each other, the AA flight 73 rarely runs with sold our BC so AA makes good deals for those who want to upgrade. I used the app Flight Aware to track passenger loads on the LAX to Sydney flights. Even today 23 days out our flight only had 25 of the 54 BC seats sold. PE is sold out and main cabin in about 75% sold.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

The burger in Luminae on Eclipse is now a double cheese burger with a slice of brisket, bbq sauce and pickles. I miss the bacon, onion jam, but the double burger offers good choices for a smaller serving.

I think I would like that new version of the Laminae burger, was not a fan of the onion jam. This new one sounds more like a big Texas burger with brisket and BBQ sauce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Luminae Burger still on everyday for lunch.   I believe it is much thicker than the past.   We usually order 1/2 -   Sometimes thinner and other times if both having 1/2 have them cut it and put on two plates.     Same as before but we usually have them substitute Blu Cheese and add crispy bacon.

Thanks.  I usually eat the whole burger but ask for mayo and mustard on the side.  Depending on how I feel I also order it without the bun.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

The burger in Luminae on Eclipse is now a double cheese burger with a slice of brisket, bbq sauce and pickles. I miss the bacon, onion jam, but the double burger offers good choices for a smaller serving.

Is it listed on the menu that way or is that an off menu item that may be a one off? 

I am with @terrydtxwith regard to the onion jam ... I sometimes ask for it on the side or order mine without it altogether. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 3:00 PM, Redking said:

Spot on Jim, It's one of the world's roughest stretches of water, ferry crossings can be interesting.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/cook-strait-rail-ferries/love-boats-or-chuck-buckets#:~:text=Cook Strait can also be,like a huge wind tunnel.

At least you're rewarded by Wellington Harbour and the Marlborough Sounds at either end. Am I right in thinking you're not going to Wellington? I think it feels like a mini San Francisco with the steep streets and weather board houses or villas as you'll now know them. A friend who's from San Francisco completely disagrees though, heho!

Fascinating info on Cook Strait.  Scary video! 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are really loving New Zealand.   I often say that there are some real similarities with San Francisco .   Taking the bay cruise yesterday we often said how much it feels like Scotland.   Really think New Zealand has similarities to many places around the world.   

Sometimes the coastline reminds me of Maine and Nova Scotia.     One thing i can say with certainty is -  it is Uniquely New Zealand.

My DW and I spent one month in NZ on a 1500 mile land trip by car, back in 2006 . We visited Stewart Island , South Island and North Island.  We always reminisce about how NZ has the best of what the States have to offer in a small country.. The mountains, vineyards, beaches, remote forests, and all of the seasons of the year are all outstanding..  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, raudacruise said:

Fascinating info on Cook Strait.  Scary video! 🫣

It is certainly interesting..We took the InterIslander from Picton to Wellington.  The ferry was 220m long at 50000T. There was a typhoon 500 mi away and we hit huge waves similar to the ones we encountered in the Drake Passage on the Infinity. The bow on the ferry was flooded and the bow spray was shooting over the top of the highest mast on the ferry.  The crew and the locals onboard viewed this as a non event

• Like 5

Is it listed on the menu that way or is that an off menu item that may be a one off? 

The double cheeseburger is now listed on the menu.

i had the new appetizer Jim had with the asparagus and poached egg. Delicious!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

My DW and I spent one month in NZ on a 1500 mile land trip by car, back in 2006 . We visited Stewart Island , South Island and North Island.  We always reminisce about how NZ has the best of what the States have to offer in a small country.. The mountains, vineyards, beaches, remote forests, and all of the seasons of the year are all outstanding..  

Mutual appreciation, we've still to discover so much of the US. So many choices and times a ticking!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

A poster getting on the Edge after you get off Wednesday said the Edge is Tendering in Sydney Harbor Wednesday. If so, I hope the MC is working or disembarkation and then embarkation will be a crowded mess.

If you read it on the Internet it must be true.... oops who said that

From a reliable Source  - https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

image.thumb.png.45f00040c5e588865db2b515380c424a.png

image.thumb.png.35ca55358b7e897027523b127532afec.png

I believe what you may have read that Edge will be over-nighting in Sydney.   On 12/21/2023 for Disembarkation and Embarkation she will be at Overseas Passengers Terminal but will at some point shift location to the Athol Bay Anchorage and will commence tendering.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thanks.  I usually eat the whole burger but ask for mayo and mustard on the side.  Depending on how I feel I also order it without the bun.  

They are just as good as always.    I really miss the Lamb Burger they use to have every other.   Personally I like a Lamb Burger better than an Hamburger -

Big question is why do they call it a Hamburger when it isn't made of Ham.   Hmmm...

Ok -- answering my one question I Googled on it ----

The name "hamburger" comes from the seaport town of Hamburg, Germany, where it is thought that 19th-century sailors brought back the idea of raw shredded beef (known today as beef tartare) after trading with the Baltic provinces of Russia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I will forever cherish what time we have had to explore New Zealand.    As you said there are so many easy comparisons to many U.S. States as well to many Countries.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

It is certainly interesting..We took the InterIslander from Picton to Wellington.  The ferry was 220m long at 50000T. There was a typhoon 500 mi away and we hit huge waves similar to the ones we encountered in the Drake Passage on the Infinity. The bow on the ferry was flooded and the bow spray was shooting over the top of the highest mast on the ferry.  The crew and the locals onboard viewed this as a non event

I'm wondering if the notoriously rough straight is why they didn't add Wellington to the Itinerary.    Would have enjoyed that more than an overnight in Christchurch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Is it listed on the menu that way or is that an off menu item that may be a one off? 

It's listed on the Menu simply as "Luminae Signature Burger"   Cheddar, Onion Jam, Sesame Brioche, Truffle Fries"....     Hmmm..   I don't remember ever having Truffle Fries on Edge...

Just checked on both Luminae and Cosmopolitan and the do not list a double cheeseburger. 

I would hate to have a double Luminae Burger but seem to recall seeing someone post a picture of one.

Rooftop Garden have a Roof Top Burger -  8 oz Grilled Beef  Patty, Beer-battered Onion, porter BBQ sauce, Bacon and Cheddar on a Brioche bun

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Which ship is the Double Cheeseburger listed???

5 hours ago, Redking said:

Mutual appreciation, we've still to discover so much of the US. So many choices and times a ticking!

I'll be honest in admitting there is a large section of the U.S. we have never visited  -  Specifically the Montana, Indiana, Wyoming, North and South Carolina. 

We have talked about taking a land trip to visit Yellowstone National Park and the surrounding states.

• Like 3

DUNEDIN, NEW ZEALAND

If it wasn't for the absence of the Scottish brogue, you might think you'd landed in Edinburgh. Both the scenery and the architecture borrow heavily from Scotland. You can even shop for kilts or dig into a piece of fresh haggis. Dunedin is also home to New Zealand's only castle, a 15-year construction endeavor complete with magnificent woodwork and the only staircase of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. Experience the Taieri Gorge train and feel the rattle and rumble of your vintage railcar as you wind through the mountains of Taieri River Gorge and the land the Maori called the "Hills of Heaven".

Sharing port today with Seaborn Odyssey IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.15f1304e4f22c9f46a59d269e2a7d6a1.jpeg

She’s looking a bit rusty. 

IMG_2565.thumb.jpeg.92b7216c9c92ff052b49e7260603d9c8.jpeg

IMG_2567.thumb.jpeg.b3716912d734255eecaaf41ee1309be4.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm wondering if the notoriously rough straight is why they didn't add Wellington to the Itinerary.    Would have enjoyed that more than an overnight in Christchurch. 

Sad you didn't make it there, it's a cool little capital. Also didn't have Bay of Islands. Bit puzzled about what X is doing with its itineraries. We felt we had very short times in port in the South Pacific last January. I suppose  overnighting in Akl and CCH allows people to explore further inland? Either way I guess we should give thanks for our travels.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll be honest in admitting there is a large section of the U.S. we have never visited  -  Specifically the Montana, Indiana, Wyoming, North and South Carolina. 

We have talked about taking a land trip to visit Yellowstone National Park and the surrounding states.

It's a big place. After 19 years in Australia, we've never been to Western Australia or the Northern Territory. I've an aunt in Scotland who's travelled to all the states in the US. She's also pretty much covered the rest of the world too. 

• Like 3