Ultimate Balcony Dinner - Tell me more!

charliedalrymple

28 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

My friends will be in a deluxe balcony on the Sun Princess inaugural cruise. I checked the weather history and in looks like it may be in the 40s - 50s for the high. Do you think that will be too cold for the UBD? Looking at the diagram for the room I don’t know where they would put a table in the cabin if the weather is lousy. Those that have booked this before, do you think I should book this for them or should I book Crown Grill instead? Thank you.

Too soon to know whether/how  it would play out on Sun Princess, as she isn't sailing yet 

It may be just fine on their balcony.. it may get moved indoors if inclement weather or whether they'd move you to some other area of the ship, as has been done for people in insides or oceanview on current ships.

Personally - I'd take UBD any day over Crown.. YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Too soon to know whether/how  it would play out on Sun Princess, as she isn't sailing yet 

It may be just fine on their balcony.. it may get moved indoors if inclement weather or whether they'd move you to some other area of the ship, as has been done for people in insides or oceanview on current ships.

Thank you. At first I was looking at the balcony breakfast but the balcony dinner sounds amazing. My friend's birthday is on embarkation day so I would love to book something for them. 

10 hours ago, reedprincess said:

I agree.  We would pick the UBD also.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

My friends will be in a deluxe balcony on the Sun Princess inaugural cruise. I checked the weather history and in looks like it may be in the 40s - 50s for the high. Do you think that will be too cold for the UBD? Looking at the diagram for the room I don’t know where they would put a table in the cabin if the weather is lousy. Those that have booked this before, do you think I should book this for them or should I book Crown Grill instead? Thank you.

The nice thing about UBD…check on the weather the day before and if it’s forecast is bad, you can change the date.  Just give 24 hour notice.  We have never scheduled it on embarkation day, as we like to go to the MDR and get our private table for 2 settled.

Unless we have reserve class, then doesn’t matter about the table assignment.

They will leave a card “Just for You” and it shows the UBD gift and to call RS or 9000 to schedule the date and time for the UBD.  Then, they will ask if any allergies and go over the menu with them. 

So, IMO, I would give them the gift, and let them chose the date and time.

I did this for DS and BIL and they chose the date and time once OB.

• Thanks 1

We had the "breakfast" as well. Good but not a standout. The dinner was served inside due to the weather. A double rainbow appeared, which added a nice touch. Without a doubt the food at the UBD was by far the best we had. Food otherwise was pretty bland to downright poor at times.This was on a Hawaii trip.

3 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Does anyone know if you can book this for 10 people?  I have a suite on an upcoming sailing that would allow for it in terms of space. 

Give it a shot. I think you'll get charged extra for the amount of guests you have, but don't quote me on that.

22 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Give it a shot. I think you'll get charged extra for the amount of guests you have, but don't quote me on that.

No harm in doing that! 😀 I would expect to pay $110 for each pair of people. I “think” I’ve seen a post a long time ago where 4 people had it together. I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried with a larger group. 

18 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

No harm in doing that! 😀 I would expect to pay $110 for each pair of people. I “think” I’ve seen a post a long time ago where 4 people had it together. I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried with a larger group. 

We had 8 with 4 on each connecting balcony.  Large balcony deck. They did charge $110 per couple.  You should be able to do this.  They will set up the tables that you need.

The only problem would be for you to arrange it soon after boarding, because it is limited per night to 4-5 UBD’s.  Some ships less, depending on staffing.  Your suite concierge, if you have one, can certainly make it happen.

Sounds awesome!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We had 8 with 4 on each connecting balcony.  Large balcony deck. They did charge $110 per couple.  You should be able to do this.  They will set up the tables that you need.

The only problem would be for you to arrange it soon after boarding, because it is limited per night to 4-5 UBD’s.  Some ships less, depending on staffing.  Your suite concierge, if you have one, can certainly make it happen.

Sounds awesome!

Wow thanks so much for this!  I do have a suite concierge. I believe they will contact me a week before sailing as we are in the sky suite. But I’m really happy to hear I can start planning this with at least some confidence.