Cat on Ovation

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Was on a plane once and the young lady sitting next to me opens her travel bag/large purse thingy, and pulls out a dog.  

She said she does it all the time, never tells the airline because they would charge a good fee.

Eddie

Similar thing happened to me Eddie, though many years ago. I was forced to position as a passenger on an otherwise full flight from Barcelona to Las Palmas in the Canary Islands. Ensconced in my favourite middle seat, I was joined in the aisle by a Spanish lady and a plastic box containing her clearly agitated Persian cat! Throughout the taxi and takeoff, even though I attempted to make no eye contact whatsoever, it pressed its angry little face to the uncomfortably (I thought) large slot. It then proceeded to glare at me (and I speak as someone who has been married for nearly 40 years,) in a thoroughly menacing and fixated manner of unbridled hatred until roughly the point, whichever pilot so tasked, turned off the “fasten seat belt sign!” 

It was at this point that the very gates of Hades opened! Said “moggie” launched into a fit of such hissing rage and feline contortion that for a moment my head was lost in a cloud of flea infested tabby fur! The owner, other passengers and even the “tripulacion de cabina” seemed completely oblivious! For two and a bit hours this episode of “The twilight zone” continued unabated. 

Even today, I wake up In a cold sweat (which at my age is actually something of a relief!) When I think back to that flight. I needed therapy for years afterwards, (and that’s having raised 7 teenagers!) To this day I have a card that lets me travel with an “Emotional support wife,” although I have considered upgrading to the alligator which seems more “de riguer” these days!

Anyway I digress……. 

• Haha 8

19 minutes ago, little britain said:

If it was a therapy cat they wouldn’t have pussyfooted around snuggling it onboard…it would have had a purrpose to be on board. 

Purrfect explanation.

Edited by swoopy2110

10 minutes ago, monorail81 said:

It was “bonded” to the captain, which means it was the captain’s cat…..which means the captain walked right on with it and wasn’t hiding it from everyone. Probably why RCL is picking up the tab…

If it’s anything like the one on my Las Palmas flight, it’s probably not so much a case of “Bonded,” as needing a whole surgical theatre team, to unhook it from his face! 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, monorail81 said:

It was “bonded” to the captain, which means it was the captain’s cat…..which means the captain walked right on with it and wasn’t hiding it from everyone. Probably why RCL is picking up the tab…

Maybe you should listen to the interview. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Maybe you should listen to the interview. 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Bonded means that the cat was played under the Captain's responsibility to not get ashore.  Just like a Bonded warehouse.  Has nothing to do with the cat's feelings. 

My bad for trying to make a joke…

14 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

What if it was a therapy cat 😉

Doesn't matter if it was, the cat did not undergo the appropriate quarantine procedures before the passengers brought it onto the ship. If it was a therapy cat then why would they be sneaking it around, it also doesn't say much for security in Honolulu either.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 11:11 PM, ShazM said:

Doesn't matter if it was, the cat did not undergo the appropriate quarantine procedures before the passengers brought it onto the ship. If it was a therapy cat then why would they be sneaking it around, it also doesn't say much for security in Honolulu either.

It was said tongue in cheek. It seems to have been lost on most. All these "therapy animals" should be nowhere near cruise ships 

• Like 2

Hello,

There used to be a cargo line that had both a sea-going captain and a port captain. The port captain was a retired sea-going captain and lived ashore.

When the ship arrived in port, the sea-going captain left for whatever jollies sea-going captains enjoy and the port captain boarded, along with wife and a short-haired terrier dog that I remember was called 'Mandy.' I cannot remember any formal procedure, if any, that had to be gone through to accommodate the dog. On the day the ship was to sail, the above reversed.

Regards

Cublet

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

You’ve got to be kitten me! How is this paw-sible? The catatonic show has leaped from Oasis to Ovation? This calls for a meowtini - shaken not purred please. 

Hello,

I went into a pretentious cocktail bar in Bristol and ordered a vodka martini - shaken not stirred. The barman refused saying he could not do it as shaking would 'bruise the alcohol'. My friend, a university scientist and 'President of the Academic Board', near collapsed in a fit of laughter. Being less demonstrative, I just shook my head in disbelief.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1