Speciality restaurants on the Splendor.

Dolebludger

I do accept that different people have different experiences as I’ve had other great experiences where others have not for the same thing. It boils down to consistency, which I believe Regent is experiencing  challenges for whatever reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about specialty restaurants. I know it is possible to request a special meal at CR in advance. Has anyone done it at a specialty restaurant, for instance Pacific Rim? Wondering if one can get a simpler Chinese dish.

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2023 at 5:42 PM, kihei228 said:

I have a question about specialty restaurants. I know it is possible to request a special meal at CR in advance. Has anyone done it at a specialty restaurant, for instance Pacific Rim? Wondering if one can get a simpler Chinese dish.

Have not been on Splendor (will be boarding on Friday), but on Voyager, the procedure for the specialty restaurants was the same as for CR. The day before we had a reservation at a specialty restaurant, the menu for the SR would be left outside our door (along with the following day's lunchtimes menus at the appropriate venues) so that I could review it and make my selections.  I would then drop off the menus at CR or Sette Mari before dinner's closing.  This would get turned into the appropriate kitchen(s?) in time for lunch and dinner the following day. 

• Thanks 1

We are also interested in having one of the restaurants prepare us a meal that is not on their normal menu. Maybe a fried seafood platter. I think this is possible with 24 hours notice, but not sure if possible in the specialty restaurants or only in Compass Rose.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:42 AM, kihei228 said:

This is of great interest to me, putting it simply I’m allergic to anything that comes out of water, in pacific rim that means I’m down to 1 starter and 1 main course as the others are fish or have a fish sauce in there ingredients. My wife loves going to the restaurant but frankly I’m bored with no choice, it would be nice if they would make something that I could eat, in compass rose the chef occasionally cook me a no fish, spicy stir fry which is tremendous, I’m wondering if pacific rim would be as obliging. Mind you we are going on Friday, so it might be an idea just to ask myself,

• Like 2

I have the same problem. I’m more allergic to seafood — I just don’t like it. I looked at a sample pacific rim menu on the web site, and couldn’t put together a meal,I would eat because it is all sea food of some sort. There are many Asian dishes that do not contain seafood, and I gladly enjoy many of them. 

6 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I have the same problem. I’m more allergic to seafood — I just don’t like it. I looked at a sample pacific rim menu on the web site, and couldn’t put together a meal,I would eat because it is all sea food of some sort. There are many Asian dishes that do not contain seafood, and I gladly enjoy many of them. 

No ribs, bulgogi, duck, lamb chops?

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

My wife is allergic to seafood and she had 2 great meals at Pacific Rim.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 5:11 PM, Dolebludger said:

I looked at a sample pacific rim menu on the web site, and couldn’t put together a meal

With 6 non-fish appetisers and 7 non-fish main courses on the Pacific Rim menu I am struggling to see the issue for those that dislike fish.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flossie009 said:

With 6 non-fish appetisers and 7 non-fish main courses on the Pacific Rim menu I am struggling to see the issue for those that dislike fish.

They tend you use different fish sauces even on the non fish food, which you only find out when they check with the chef because of my allergy. In all fairness Regent does a wonderful job keeping me safe, to such an extent on a 70 night cruise they allocated a waiter to check with the chef every night and then tell me what I could eat, most being blatantly obvious, but things like a meat stir fry would have caught me out as it included a fish sauce. 

4 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

They tend you use different fish sauces even on the non fish food, which you only find out when they check with the chef because of my allergy. In all fairness Regent does a wonderful job keeping me safe, to such an extent on a 70 night cruise they allocated a waiter to check with the chef every night and then tell me what I could eat, most being blatantly obvious, but things like a meat stir fry would have caught me out as it included a fish sauce. 

Were you given the menus for each venue the night before, so that they could check ingredients and adapt or suggest an alternative, if necessary?  Or did you always choose on the night, with the aid of the waiter?

11 hours ago, SellaVee said:

Were you given the menus for each venue the night before, so that they could check ingredients and adapt or suggest an alternative, if necessary?  Or did you always choose on the night, with the aid of the waiter?

No, but that my fault as I can’t stand picking my meals 24 hours in advance, so that was the compromise we came to, also importantly the menu does not highlight the hidden ingredients such as fish sauce. As I say Regent couldn’t be more helpful, but as I said I’m allergic to anything that comes out the sea, it isn’t because I don’t like fish, if that the case then I don’t think Regent would be so obliging.

Thank you, charltonkerry, I am allergic to nuts.  Previously I have had a great deal of help on Oceania.  Our next cruise will be on Regent, so it's encouraging to know th ey can cope.

16 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

They tend you use different fish sauces even on the non fish food, which you only find out when they check with the chef

That is very interesting, i don't have any allergies but know someone who sails on Regent that do have an allergy to some shellfish, so are you saying that the suggested sauces which accompany the always available meat dishes in Compass Rose actually contain fish? or are you just saying some unspecified sauces accompanying other dishes contain fishy things.

ie

• Green Peppercorn
  •  
  • Béarnaise or Chimichurri
  • Madeira-Truffle
  •  
  • Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly
  • Demi-Glace or Mushroom Sauce
  •  
  • Cranberry Relish or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
  • Hickory Barbecue or Apple Sauce

42 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

That is very interesting, i don't have any allergies but know someone who sails on Regent that do have an allergy to some shellfish, so are you saying that the suggested sauces which accompany the always available meat dishes in Compass Rose actually contain fish? or are you just saying some unspecified sauces accompanying other dishes contain fishy things.

ie

• Green Peppercorn
  •  
  • Béarnaise or Chimichurri
  • Madeira-Truffle
  •  
  • Mint Sauce or Mint Jelly
  • Demi-Glace or Mushroom Sauce
  •  
  • Cranberry Relish or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
  • Hickory Barbecue or Apple Sauce

No sorry I might be confusing people, it’s can be in items such as stir fry, they use I believe a crayfish sauce, never was stopped using any of the sauce you state,

Well, my food preferences never interfered with a Regent cruise. On some lines (that I define as lesser) the MDR is an overcrowded “wait in line” thing to be avoided. But on Regent, we have always liked the Compass Rose. Go in anytime (when it is open) and be seated. A bunch if dining options there. For our cruise next month, we decided to select the Prime 7 twice. It’s only a 7 nighter, and I think we’ll be fine. 

Charltonkerry, I understood exactly what you meant.  I've used fish sauce myself to flavour non fish dishes when experimenting with Asian cookery.

Paul Gauguin cruises were helpful I but I found Oceania to be exceptionally careful when dealing with allergies, which makes for a much more relaxing cruise.  I ordered my evening meal in advance so that it could be adapted if necessary.  I enjoyed dining in the main dining room on Marina, so I expect I shall enjoy the Compass Rose on Splendor too.  The good news was that on O cruise my allergy information followed me to each of the four speciality restaurants.  Since Regent is part of the same group I’m anticipating the same level of care, and really looking forward to enjoying some great meals.

Edited by SellaVee

4 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, my food preferences never interfered with a Regent cruise. On some lines (that I define as lesser) the MDR is an overcrowded “wait in line” thing to be avoided. But on Regent, we have always liked the Compass Rose. Go in anytime (when it is open) and be seated. A bunch if dining options there. For our cruise next month, we decided to select the Prime 7 twice. It’s only a 7 nighter, and I think we’ll be fine. 

We are not so fortunate, as on Splendor last year (it was full) we had a short wait most evenings to be seated in both Compass Rose and Sette Mari, we do tend to eat between 7.45 & 8.15 though, so at peak times, which is probably the reason. There is a plus side to that though, as we can then have another G&T before dinner.🙂