Can I get from Southampton to Gatwick to make 1250 flight?

On 11/24/2023 at 11:54 AM, herbanrenewal said:

TA in April. Arr Southampton May 12. Im I likely to make departure from Gatwick for 12:50 flight? Transport recommendations?

TIA

That should be fine as long as you’re off the ship fairly promptly.

A taxi or private car transfer should take between 90 minutes and 2 hours.

Or the cheaper alternative is the hourly train from Southampton Central which takes just over 2 hours with one simple transfer en route.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2023 at 7:54 AM, herbanrenewal said:

TA in April. Arr Southampton May 12. Im I likely to make departure from Gatwick for 12:50 flight? Transport recommendations?

TIA

Unassisted disembarkation is normally 7 am or a little earlier, book a private transfer for 7.15. No lines or delays in disembarkation at that time of the morning.

journey time a minimum of 90 minutes at the weekend, allow up to 2.5 hours on a weekday but that still gives you a decent amount of wiggle time for an out-of-the-ordinary delay.

The first cruise line transfer buses leave at about 8am, they recommend you don’t use them for flights before 1pm from LGW.

Try West Quay Cars in Southampton or Aquacars or Gunwharf Executive Travel in Portsmouth.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

thank you. After careful consideration of the advisability of ruining a perfectly relaxing vacation by rushing last minute I decided to stay overnight near Gatwick. I'm now considering getting the train from there to Kew Gardens for the afternoon, returning in the evening and resting before 1250 departure next day...still planning early departure from ship but no pressure to make connections.

10 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

thank you. After careful consideration of the advisability of ruining a perfectly relaxing vacation by rushing last minute I decided to stay overnight near Gatwick. I'm now considering getting the train from there to Kew Gardens for the afternoon, returning in the evening and resting before 1250 departure next day...still planning early departure from ship but no pressure to make connections.

Is there a specific reason you'd stay at LGW and not closer to Kew Gardens (or, really, anywhere in the "city" (whether it be the City itself or not))? Just thinking of how much more you would have available to you as far as things to do, places to eat, etc. and still not have to wake up too early to catch a ride to LGW in the morning for a 12:50pm flight. Would also save you time as you wouldn't need to go Southampton - LGW - Kew Gardens - LGW all in one day. 

Edited by Zach1213

I have a similar situation.  Instead of going into London, what about places to stop for a night between Southampton and Gatwick?  Any towns along that route that would offer a bit of sightseeing and maybe a nice dinner?

Maybe Winchester?

Edited by alc13

8 hours ago, alc13 said:

Instead of going into London, what about places to stop for a night between Southampton and Gatwick?

How would you plan to travel? Winchester could work as a stop if you're going to drive yourself. But it's not really "between Southampton and Gatwick" if you're going by train (see the network map for why), and it's similar if you're planning to take the coach.

I think that the most obvious place, if you're taking the train, would probably be Brighton.

23 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Is there a specific reason you'd stay at LGW and not closer to Kew Gardens (or, really, anywhere in the "city" (whether it be the City itself or not))? Just thinking of how much more you would have available to you as far as things to do, places to eat, etc. and still not have to wake up too early to catch a ride to LGW in the morning for a 12:50pm flight. Would also save you time as you wouldn't need to go Southampton - LGW - Kew Gardens - LGW all in one day. 

Points I can use at Hilton Gatwick makes price reasonable to stay there.

I was thinking of Kew simply because it's one of the few places I haven't visited on my wishlist from two multi-day previous trips to London, but I may save it for another trip, maybe another TA next spring when I may have more time to extend trip . I love gardening and visiting gardens. I think I'll play it by ear and decide how far I want to push on that last afternoon before returning home.

Edited by herbanrenewal

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

I love gardening and visiting gardens.

Some lovely gardens near Gatwick, such as Nymans which is 15 minutes drive, but difficult by public transport. If you are set on staying at the airport, one option would be to jump on a train down to Brighton (direct, less than 40 minutes) and visit the Royal Pavilion and Garden, which is walking distance from the station. And have fish and chips on the pier 😀

Kew is a bit longer by train (an hour or so) and you'd need to change at Clapham Junction for Kew Bridge station. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Some lovely gardens near Gatwick, such as Nymans which is 15 minutes drive, but difficult by public transport. If you are set on staying at the airport, one option would be to jump on a train down to Brighton (direct, less than 40 minutes) and visit the Royal Pavilion and Garden, which is walking distance from the station. And have fish and chips on the pier 😀

Kew is a bit longer by train (an hour or so) and you'd need to change at Clapham Junction for Kew Bridge station. 

Thanks so. much for the info!

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

A half-hour taxi ride from Gatwick is Anne Boleyn’s Hever Castle & Gardens.

www.hevercastle.co.uk

JB 🙂

Good point - and moderately possible by public transport (train via a change at East Croydon and a mile or so walk from Hever station) 😀

https://www.hevercastle.co.uk