Live from QV to the Canary Islands.

LadyL1

This morning we arrived in Lisbon which was bathed in early morning sun! After a very pleasant breakfast in our room it was up to the pool for a 35 minute swim. Sadly the sun did not last but it has been warm and dry.

This city is lovely to be in anytime of year, and a walk of around 4 miles always reveals something new: the Alfama district is so quaint! I did manage a purchase of some very nice white port before returning.

QV departed on time and was about to turn in the river,  when the Captain announced we were to go alongside again for a sick crew member to disembark. Big Mac has beaten me with this hot news! 😊 Our second departure was in the dark and it seemed not too many stayed out on the open deck for the spectacle of sailing under the “singing bridge”. We thought a glass of bubbles on the balcony would suffice tonight and we still enjoyed the sights on the edge of the Tagus and the bridge.

Yet again Cunard has Berni Flint in the theatre for Showtime tonight.  He once was a winner on “Opportunity Knocks”, so that will give some of you an idea of how long he has been around. On this subject, the Entertainment Director is Ashley Clay.

A day at sea tomorrow, on our way to Lanzarote, and believe the temperature will be on the up! 

IMG_4328.jpeg

Edited by LadyL1
  • Like 6

We must have been unlucky with our embarkation. We arrived at terminal at 1230 for a 1245 boarding time and already the security queue was very long. As we were checking in they called for Platinum to board so they must have started embarkation early as we were before our allotted time and QG and Diamond. 2 couples in front of us waiting in security queue had boarding times of 1-30pm and 2-30pm respectively. Cannot help but think Cunard must do something about allowing people to board 2 hrs before boarding time. It becomes pointless and a free for all and is not well controlled and pointless allocating boarding times if people ignore it and

Cunard allow them to board.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 4

Had  a really bad experience tonight in QG.

Arrived about 8:10pm. Ordered starters and confirmed my main course as Dover Sole , which I had oedered at lunch time.

Wd did get our starters fairly promptly, but an hour later, we were still waiting and nothing was happening.

Her indoors, said she had enough and didn't want anything no as it was too late.

Just as we rose, they turned up, but too late as I felt the same way.

We  heard Ico quiz our waiters as to what had happened. We heard them telling him that there was no Dover Sold available and they had to go to get it. An hour later?

We left.

Ico profusely appologised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Arrived about 8:10pm. Ordered starters and confirmed my main course as Dover Sole , which I had oedered at lunch time.

Wd did get our starters fairly promptly, but an hour later, we were still waiting and nothing was happening.

Her indoors, said she had enough and didn't want anything no as it was too late.

We  heard Ico quiz our waiters as to what had happened. We heard them telling him that there was no Dover Sold available and they had to go to get it. An hour later?

We left.

Well that was a bit pathetic, wasn’t it? Hope you didn’t subside from hunger in the night. I wonder what amends they will try to make.

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We must have been unlucky with our embarkation. We arrived at terminal at 1230 for a 1245 boarding time and already the security queue was very long. As we were checking in they called for Platinum to board so they must have started embarkation early as we were before our allotted time and QG and Diamond. 2 couples in front of us waiting in security queue had boarding times of 1-30pm and 2-30pm respectively. Cannot help but think Cunard must do something about allowing people to board 2 hrs before boarding time. It becomes pointless and a free for all and is not well controlled and pointless allocating boarding times if people ignore it and

Cunard allow them to board.

We arrived at the terminal at 12.15 and there were plenty of vacant check in positions. The waiting area was very full due to the build up of QQ, PQ, Diamond and Platinum levels (our level) which got called in order, the security queues build up due to the initial rush but it’s only 10 mins or so. They hold early arrivals who are not priority boarding outside until after the priority levels have started to clear the waiting area. Maybe the people in the queue that you saw with later boarding times were of a priority level because they were definitely checking status before entering the terminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We arrived at the terminal at 12.15 and there were plenty of vacant check in positions. The waiting area was very full due to the build up of QQ, PQ, Diamond and Platinum levels (our level) which got called in order, the security queues build up due to the initial rush but it’s only 10 mins or so. They hold early arrivals who are not priority boarding outside until after the priority levels have started to clear the waiting area. Maybe the people in the queue that you saw with later boarding times were of a priority level because they were definitely checking status before entering the terminal.

Wasn't for us we went straight to check in desk and while there announced for Platinum and Princess Grill and there was a massive queue by the time we had finished check on. We then joined the end of the queue for security which took ages to get through. With hindsight if we had arrived at midday to 1215 we would have probably avoided the queue and wait. But being fair we tried to arrive at terminal as close to our boarding pass arrival time which obviously many don't just ignore it and turn up when they want. That is why there were people in security queue with boarding times of 1-30 and 2-30 in front of us who had obviously ignored their stayed check in times on boarding pass.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Wasn't for us we went straight to check in desk and while there announced for Platinum and Princess Grill and there was a massive queue by the time we had finished check on. We then joined the end of the queue for security which took ages to get through. With hindsight if we had arrived at midday to 1215 we would have probably avoided the queue and wait. But being fair we tried to arrive at terminal as close to our boarding pass arrival time which obviously many don't just ignore it and turn up when they want. That is why there were people in security queue with boarding times of 1-30 and 2-30 in front of us who had obviously ignored their stayed check in times on boarding pass.

I hope you have a better butler this time and are getting the in cabin drinks you want.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

I hope you have a better butler this time and are getting the in cabin drinks you want.

Yes the butler has been excellent so far even though we don't ask for much and with a far wider choice of drinks than last time on QE.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Pre Assigned check-in time were introduced in 2021 as a direct result of social distancing and the lengthy check-in procedures  which were necessary at the time . We remember well the extensive 'documentation checks' when, we were directed to at least THREE separate agents/desks in ordered to have all our documentation confirmed . There was also on -site LFT testing and the time taken for the correct results, therefore assigned arrival/check-in time were need during this time to spread out people and to allow for over crowding/social distancing  

Today those procedures no longer exist,  check-in procedures are back to normal and they have been greatly helped by the introduction of the new  'On-line check-in system , reducing the time taken when the guest is directed to a check-in agent.

In a previous post I mentioned a former colleague of mine is now working at the Southampton Cruise Terminals.  In conversation, ( the 'second time over this last month')  she has confirmed that any 'Cunard' guest who presents a boarding card which indicates they are 'Diamond or Platinum' EVEN if they happen to arrive earlier than the time stated on the boarding card, they will be directed immediately to the 'Priority check-in line'. She gave me to understand that this works reasonably well at the 'Mayflower & Ocean Terminals', problems usually arise with the check-in system procedure at the QEII terminal. She indicated that no two days are the same at the cruise terminals , usually it runs smoothly once the first call for embarkation has taken place (usually between 1/1.30pm) and since the new on-line system was introduced, even if some guests arrived slightly ahead of their indicted time, often due to having to rely on train schedules and other public transport. She gave me to understand no one will be turned away, however, on very few occasions one may have to stand line for a short time to allow for check-in desks to become available.     

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Pre Assigned check-in time were introduced in 2021 as a direct result of social distancing and the lengthy check-in procedures  which were necessary at the time . We remember well the extensive 'documentation checks' when, we were directed to at least THREE separate agents/desks in ordered to have all our documentation confirmed . There was also on -site LFT testing and the time taken for the correct results, therefore assigned arrival/check-in time were need during this time to spread out people and to allow for over crowding/social distancing  

Today those procedures no longer exist,  check-in procedures are back to normal and they have been greatly helped by the introduction of the new  'On-line check-in system , reducing the time taken when the guest is directed to a check-in agent.

In a previous post I mentioned a former colleague of mine is now working at the Southampton Cruise Terminals.  In conversation, ( the 'second time over this last month')  she has confirmed that any 'Cunard' guest who presents a boarding card which indicates they are 'Diamond or Platinum' EVEN if they happen to arrive earlier than the time stated on the boarding card, they will be directed immediately to the 'Priority check-in line'. She gave me to understand that this works reasonably well at the 'Mayflower & Ocean Terminals', problems usually arise with the check-in system procedure at the QEII terminal. She indicated that no two days are the same at the cruise terminals , usually it runs smoothly once the first call for embarkation has taken place (usually between 1/1.30pm) and since the new on-line system was introduced, even if some guests arrived slightly ahead of their indicted time, often due to having to rely on train schedules and other public transport. She gave me to understand no one will be turned away, however, on very few occasions one may have to stand line for a short time to allow for check-in desks to become available.    

Boarding must have started way before 12-30 on Friday last week as we entered terminal they were already boarding and security queue was massive at 12-30.

On arriving back into our cabin on the second evening there was another half bottle of  Pol Acker on our desk. Depending on your view of the bubbly it would be a reward or punishment😁

We went to the Lido instead of the mdr last night for the Indian menu night, the food imo was very good. It’s the red and gold night tonight mdr menu is looking good.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Boarding must have started way before 12-30 on Friday last week as we entered terminal they were already boarding and security queue was massive at 12-30.

We entered the terminal at 12.15 and they were calling for QG passengers for the first time to make their way to security, the queue built up quite quickly because they called subsequent priority groups in fairly quick succession. We were fortunate because we were one of first of the large group of Platinum grade passengers to join the queue.

• Like 2

After our slightly delayed departure last night, I took the attached photo as I am it sure I have never left Lisbon after sundown: it looked so beautiful.

The sea is still calm, although on the higher decks it feels breezy. Occasionally the sun will make a brief appearance raising the temperature, but  Captain Tomas Connery did mention that the sun should be with us tomorrow in Lanzarote.

To date all our meals have been perfect. Luckily for us we have the same superb wait staff that we had this time last year, and it is good to see familiar faces around the restaurant, and indeed the ship. Whilst on the subject of staff I have to say that our butler duo, Romil and Jose, are some of the best we have ever had (other lines included).

The passengers seem very content on this cruise. Often one can be in the lifts and hear the grumbles of others, but not so far. I am sure many would be even happier if they could lie in the sun all day!

Tonight is the red and gold evening and I will be participating. We have ordered beef wellington, one of my husband’s favourite dishes. The presentation in the theatre is “One Way or Another”, so will probably finish off this Tuesday there.

So, it seems for me, another good day of food, friendship, swimming and just for being at sea!

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

• Like 9

On 11/26/2023 at 7:18 AM, Victoria2 said:

Try eating it when it's for one.

I have often thought of asking for a doggie bag and have soggy orange duck for breakfast instead of crispy bacon.

Wouldn't need the extra portion of brown sauce for that although breakfast orangey duck on toast doesn't quite have the same appeal. 😕

While my father-in-law was in chef school, his son took the leftover duck a l'orange that FIL had brought home and had it on Kraft Dinner (Kraft macaroni & cheese for the Americans.) 

15 years later, and we still won't let him forget it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

We left.

How disappointing. Please continue giving feedback of your QG dining experience. Wondering which table you were allocated in the restaurant?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

there was no Dover Sold available and they had to go to get it.

Did they go fishing to find one?  What a un-reassuring thing to say. I guess it takes some time to defrost, prepare, and serve but a heads up would have helped. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Red and Gold, formal, gala, dress to impress or whatever’s it called nowadays tonight. Turkey dinner, monk fish or chateaubriand are the mains choices in the mdr. Think I’ll go for the chateaubriand.

Turkey, if it's got all the trimmings.

I love a turkey dinner. especially if I haven't cooked it! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2