Need help planning precruise!

torybruno

Looking to plan June 2024 for 6 adults, I know we are a little late to the game!

Flying into Anchorage and renting two vehicles. Staying two nights in Anchorage as a base to go to Manatuska Glacier hike, also bike rental and scenic drive.  Drop rental off and take train to….. that’s where I’m struggling!  Board ship in Whittier, but would like to spend two nights in this area, do the Kenia Fjords boat tour.  Where do we stay… how to get around without our car rental?

thanks in advance for any ideas!

You are not too late.

I would not spend 2 nights in Anchorage or Whittier. I would look at spending time in Seward and then take the 26 glacier cruise the day of your cruise ship cruise in Whittier. So maybe return the cars to Anchorage and then take a transfer to Whittier the day of the cruise.

Look at the Kenai Fjords trips in Seward.

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Don't base yourself in Anchorage... 

So you have 4 nights total before your cruise?

What "scenic" drive are you going to be doing?

Is a train ride a "must do" for you?

We wanted to stay in Anchorage to do a one day trip to Manatuska Glacier with MICA guides. 
Yes, 4 nights precruise.  
Scenic drive… maybe Turnagain Arm

train ride is not a must do.  Manatuska Glacier and Kenai Fjords tour are two must do.  

appreciate the help and suggestions!

Be aware of driving distances.  Your MICA Guides Matanuska Glacier adventure may determine where in the Anchorage area you stay overnight.  You could start in Seward with two nights and take the Kenai Fjords cruise and other activities in the area, and then drive north to do two nights in the Matanuska Glacier area, then return the car to the rental agency and catch a bus or train to Whittier to board the ship.  Go online to the Anchorage Visitor’s Bureau for more information about the area.

• Like 1

If you're getting the rental cars, instead of making Anchorage your base for a few days, I'd suggest staying in or near Palme for a few days. It is on your way to Manatuska Glacier anyway. Hatcher Pass near Palmer is fantastic for hikes. There are grocery stores and restaurants in Palmer. The drive to Manatuska is awesome. 

• Like 2

I am planning something similar and found some great Air Bnb rentals in the Palmer area. That being said we currently have an Air bnb booked for 4 nights in Anchorage as a base since we aren't postive what we are doing yet and my DH says he doesn't mind driving. We really only have 3 full days before the cruise so if I can convince him to focus on one area say things north of Anchorage(furthest we would do is Talkneetna) then would move the rental to Palmer or Wasilla  but then we would have to spend first night in hotel of arrive time in AK. Can sympathize with trying to figure out all the moving pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Travel Mom said:

Take the train down to seward, do the 6 hour fijords cruise and take the train back to anchorage.  Super easy.  or stay the night in seward and do the longer cruise.  Major Marine tour highly recommended in Seward.  

The train ride (and boat ride) are truly amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AKStafford said:

True. But if you are going to rent a car, now is the time to reserve it. Prices will likely only go up from here.

Have you checked it out? I am talking $2,000.00 for 7 days. This was two months ago when we were considering flying to Anchorage and doing a land based tour.

12 hours ago, AKStafford said:

I was seeing $1,500ish when I looked earlier today.

I guess it would depend on the vehicle and dates. Regardless, it is quite the contrast to a week in Florida during high season at about $423.00 and that is picking up and dropping off at different locations. 

We have been "parking" at Midnight Sun parking and car rentals for years.  The people are super.  You might consider a "van" rental.  They have 7 and 12 passenger vans.  According to their website, the 7 rent for $200 per day and 12 for $300 plus taxes.  It's called Midnight sun car and van rental.  They provide pick up/drop off service to ANC airport which is very close.  Just a thought.