Australian eTA

MOLAcruiser

Hello!

I’m curious to know if anyone here has applied for an Australian eTA in the last couple of weeks. If so, how long did it take to receive your confirmation? It is supposed to take anywhere from a few minutes up to 72 hours, but we are both still waiting after 9 days. I used the App this time. I have applied twice in the past for previous trips with no problem (pre-App), and this week I also applied for the New Zealand eTA which came through in 10 minutes. I can write to them to check on the Australia status, but first, I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue recently, and did they eventually come through after 9 days?

Thank you.

Margo

I am happy to report that I have resolved this problem. I wrote to the Australia eTA query email address separately for my husband and myself yesterday. I received answers within an hour. Different looking answers, but both said that no application had been received and to apply again. Both of the original applications said they had been submitted, that is why I kept waiting. Today I re-applied, and this time the payment went right through and I had the eTA’s within a minute. Glad it all worked out eventually.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MOLAcruiser said:

I am happy to report that I have resolved this problem. I wrote to the Australia eTA query email address separately for my husband and myself yesterday. I received answers within an hour. Different looking answers, but both said that no application had been received and to apply again. Both of the original applications said they had been submitted, that is why I kept waiting. Today I re-applied, and this time the payment went right through and I had the eTA’s within a minute. Glad it all worked out eventually.

Are you saying that NO payment went through for the original application, but it showed that they were submitted?

But, when doing it again, the payment was processed immediately?

I remember doing this earlier this year and my payment was immediate.

This is a good indication for anyone else, as these government agencies want their payments immediately.

I have notifications on my phone and watch for any activity on my bank account or credit cards.  Rarely are they anything but instant, and I will stay on the phone line when booking something to make sure that the payment has gone through.

Good that you got this resolved.  One stress out of the way.

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Are you saying that NO payment went through for the original application, but it showed that they were submitted?

But, when doing it again, the payment was processed immediately?

I remember doing this earlier this year and my payment was immediate.

This is a good indication for anyone else, as these government agencies want their payments immediately.

I have notifications on my phone and watch for any activity on my bank account or credit cards.  Rarely are they anything but instant, and I will stay on the phone line when booking something to make sure that the payment has gone through.

Good that you got this resolved.  One stress out of the way.

That is correct. The first time the payment did not go through but it said application submitted. How was I to know that the whole process wasn’t pending? Now I (we all) know that when the system is working properly the money goes through instantly, then the visa goes through, all in a matter of seconds if there are no problems or delays, such as questions answered incorrectly, etc.

All’s well that ends well, and yes, nice to have that stress gone!

FYI, the fee was AUD$20 pp. I should also say that for NZ it was more expensive. NZ$20 pp for the eTA plus a tourism levy of NZ$35 pp for a total of NZ$110, which came to CAD$88.10.

• Like 1

Hello!  We are booked on a TransPacific from Sydney - New Zealand - French Polynesia - Hawaii this coming April on Celebrity Edge. 

Do we need to get Australian & New Zealand Visas ?

We are flying YYZ - SYD two days before the cruise departure and have 2 port of call stops in New Zealand. 

5 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Hello!  We are booked on a TransPacific from Sydney - New Zealand - French Polynesia - Hawaii this coming April on Celebrity Edge. 

We are flying YYZ - SYD two days before the cruise departure and have 2 port of call stops in New Zealand. 

I am not an expert, but since you will be in Australia for at least 2 days and visiting 2 ports in NZ then you need eTA’s for both of those countries. The only time you don’t is if you are simply transiting through an airport and not leaving the airport. That question is asked during the application process.

I do not believe Canadians require a Visa for French Polynesia, and not for Hawaii/USA.

eTA’s are not Visa’s per se, merely authority for tourists to enter the country. Visa’s are for people moving there. The eTA will be electronically attached to your passport when you successfully apply. Both Australia and NZ have an eTA App to download and use for your application. As mentioned previously, NZ also charges a tourist levy on top of the eTA, much like a toll on a bridge or highway that helps pay for infrastructure. When it works properly, the application should go through and be confirmed quite quickly, as soon as your payment goes through the confirmation should arrive by email if all is in order.

if in doubt, speak to your travel agent.

9 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Yes. 

Cruise Lines won't do this for you, but they may advise you.  You are responsible for every country that you are visiting to arrange the Visa or eTA in advance for yourself.  Even if you don't plan on disembarking at a country port, you still have to have the Visa or you could be denied boarding of the ship.

4 hours ago, MOLAcruiser said:

I am not an expert, but since you will be in Australia for at least 2 days and visiting 2 ports in NZ then you need eTA’s for both of those countries. The only time you don’t is if you are simply transiting through an airport and not leaving the airport. That question is asked during the application process.

I do not believe Canadians require a Visa for French Polynesia, and not for Hawaii/USA.

eTA’s are not Visa’s per se, merely authority for tourists to enter the country. Visa’s are for people moving there. The eTA will be electronically attached to your passport when you successfully apply. Both Australia and NZ have an eTA App to download and use for your application. As mentioned previously, NZ also charges a tourist levy on top of the eTA, much like a toll on a bridge or highway that helps pay for infrastructure. When it works properly, the application should go through and be confirmed quite quickly, as soon as your payment goes through the confirmation should arrive by email if all is in order.

if in doubt, speak to your travel agent.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes. 

Cruise Lines won't do this for you, but they may advise you.  You are responsible for every country that you are visiting to arrange the Visa or eTA in advance for yourself.  Even if you don't plan on disembarking at a country port, you still have to have the Visa or you could be denied boarding of the ship.

MOLAcruiser and CDNPolar- thank you both very much for this information! I appreciate that you have explained the process in such detail 👍🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MOLAcruiser said:

eTA’s are not Visa’s per se, merely authority for tourists to enter the country. Visa’s are for people moving there.

That isn't quite accurate, as many countries issue a variety of visas unrelated to the recipient moving to the country. Take Canada, as an example. Citizens of select foreign countries do not require a visa when flying into Canada as a tourist. British citizens, for example, can apply for an eTA instead of a visa. Tourists from all other countries must apply for a visitor visa. And an eTA is only valid when arriving by air, so you still need a visitor visa, not an eTA, when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship.

Different rules apply to US residents.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That isn't quite accurate, as many countries issue a variety of visas unrelated to the recipient moving to the country. Take Canada, as an example. Citizens of select foreign countries do not require a visa when flying into Canada as a tourist. British citizens, for example, can apply for an eTA instead of a visa. Tourists from all other countries must apply for a visitor visa. And an eTA is only valid when arriving by air, so you still need a visitor visa, not an eTA, when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship.

Different rules apply to US residents.

Ah, thank you for that. As I said, I am not an expert. In fact, I am arriving in NZ by cruise ship, so I had better double check my requirements.

As eTA's have increasingly come into vogue over the past number of years, different countries have developed different approaches on their use. Double checking is definitely a sound precaution. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

Thanks! Yes, Victoria is definitely all decked out for Christmas and you must go to Butchart Gardens one evening anytime from 3:30 -10:00pm to see it all lit up, spectacular. Timed tickets available online. Downtown around the inner harbour is always beautifully lit, too. Enjoy!

On 12/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, MOLAcruiser said:

Thanks! Yes, Victoria is definitely all decked out for Christmas and you must go to Butchart Gardens one evening anytime from 3:30 -10:00pm to see it all lit up, spectacular. Timed tickets available online. Downtown around the inner harbour is always beautifully lit, too. Enjoy!

I always love Victoria at Christmas!  We will get online for the Butchart Garden tickets: haven't been there since I was at UVic. Will be walking a lot around town and seeing the sights, hoping some boats in the Inner Harbour are lit up, too.

Have yourself a Merry Christmas!

On 12/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, SilvertoGold said:

I always love Victoria at Christmas!  We will get online for the Butchart Garden tickets: haven't been there since I was at UVic. Will be walking a lot around town and seeing the sights, hoping some boats in the Inner Harbour are lit up, too.

Have yourself a Merry Christmas!

We were there tonight don’t miss it!

• Thanks 1