Crab and Lobster dining

puzzums

Do the main dining rooms ever have crab or lobster on the menu?  Especially on Alaskan cruises?  My two travel companions would love such a meal.  Going to one of the specialty restaurants is, of course, an option.  I, however, am allergic to fish/shellfish so was hoping the main dining room will have crab and lobster available for my companions, while I enjoy something else from the menu.

I am assuming the specialty seafood restaurants would not have any non-seafood choices on their menus.

Thanks.

Please don't look for anything substantial as far as lobster goes in the MDR.  On a recently completed cruise on the Discovery, lobster tails were served on the last 'formal' night in the MDR.  The were of the 3 oz. to 4 oz. variety.  While they tasted ok, the offering was underwhelming.

You should have a greater selection in a specialty restaurant.  I don't have direct knowledge, but I would assume that non-seafood dishes would also be available.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, azddave said:

Please don't look for anything substantial as far as lobster goes in the MDR.  On a recently completed cruise on the Discovery, lobster tails were served on the last 'formal' night in the MDR.  The were of the 3 oz. to 4 oz. variety.  While they tasted ok, the offering was underwhelming.

You should have a greater selection in a specialty restaurant.  I don't have direct knowledge, but I would assume that non-seafood dishes would also be available.

Exactly. Underwhelming very much sums it up. Forget the specialty restaurants.. splurge on a nice restaurant on one of the shore excursions. 🙂 

• Like 2

If the origin of the crab matters to you, the Alaska king crab season has been cancelled for the past 3 years due to low crab population.  What's being served worldwide right know is from South America, even at the the crab shacks in Alaskan ports.  The legs are skinnier and smaller.  Better off going to a wholesale club, buying frozen crab there, and re-heating it yourself.  You'll save a ton of money.

21 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If the origin of the crab matters to you, the Alaska king crab season has been cancelled for the past 3 years due to low crab population.  What's being served worldwide right know is from South America, even at the the crab shacks in Alaskan ports.  The legs are skinnier and smaller.  Better off going to a wholesale club, buying frozen crab there, and re-heating it yourself.  You'll save a ton of money.

We are still getting frozen crabs from Canada right now in the PNW. We will wait for are local catches. This is all Dungeness  crabs which are delicious 

• Like 1

Go to a specialty dinning for your lobster. Every lobster I ever had in a ships main dinning room has been a warm water spinny lobster. I have had a Maine lobster at specialty dinning. Huge difference in my opinion.

The best crab legs I ever had was in Ketchikan Alaska at the Alaskan Fish House. Not fancy but good.  

My last PCL sailing was long before 'rona.  I stumbled upon first night in the buffet's "seafood extravaganza".  Mountains of crab legs.  Booked again several months later and it was mountains of decent sized boiled shrimp.  ONLY times I ever had dinner in the buffet.

Sailing soon on the Regal...any idea if this persists or the pop up crab shack changed things?

14 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

There is the crab shack a pop up dining in a section of the buffet I'm not sure which ships have it but I'm pretty sure it is on the Alaska cruises.

We’ve also seen it recently on the Discovery in the Salty Dog Gastropub and on the Majestic in the Crown Grill.  Both were at lunchtime.  
I believe they also may have had it in the Crown Grill on the Ruby.  We didn’t see it but people we met were planning on going there for lunch. 

15 hours ago, puzzums said:

Do the main dining rooms ever have crab or lobster on the menu?  Especially on Alaskan cruises?  My two travel companions would love such a meal.  Going to one of the specialty restaurants is, of course, an option.  I, however, am allergic to fish/shellfish so was hoping the main dining room will have crab and lobster available for my companions, while I enjoy something else from the menu.

I am assuming the specialty seafood restaurants would not have any non-seafood choices on their menus.

Thanks.

As others have mentioned, surf and turf is served in the dining rooms .. usually on the second formal night.  Plus, there is always the option of getting a steakhouse quality steak or lobster in the MDR for approx $19 per piece every night.  

The Catch by Rudi has what my husband referred to as a most perfect Filet mignon.  
The Crown Grill serves meat, fish and seafood.