Live from the Celebrity Constellation, 11/28-12/10/23.

VintageCheap

MDR breakfast was well sorted.  Sometimes these are a circus - the staff has never met. 

Out on our walk we got to watch  a case study in maritime rules of the road - when crossing the vessel to starboard is stand on.  Lunch was rushed the Loyalty Event was at 1300.  Pizza was not ruined. 

I ran into Abdul again - F&B Director.  He said if you want something- ask.  I told him his team was doing well.  They did employee recognition.

The bands are good.  The mood is chill.  DW was fascinated by the funky salads in the Spa Cafe -Kale etc.  It is over 70F again. 

The rooms are good- the bed was newer.  It is a trend on some lines to make new ocean view cabins tiny again.  The ship is nicely vibration and rumble free.  There is a lot of topside paint being applied.  Surface rust has become a passenger obsession.  Not sure why. 

1000006890-01.jpeg

1000006944-02.jpeg

1000006951-01.jpeg

Edited by VintageCheap

20 hours ago, sheeng said:

Hi🤗

Sheila and Jim.

Hey guys, Great to hear from you!!! Assuming all went well on your trip home. We're settled back in for now...heading to Equinox in 11 days. We'll be Zenith after that cruise so looking forward in the future to picking up secret Zenith tips 😉. It was very nice meeting and sailing with you both. Have a great holiday and 2024!!!

Hi @VintageCheap. Thanks for taking the time to post about your trip on the Connie.  We will be sailing her for the first time in the Med fall 2024.  The ports fit our bucket list, the price was right, and the timing works out.  Also love the fact that the ship is a bit smaller on a port intensive itinerary.  We are looking forward to following your journey and hearing your impressions of the ship, food, fun, etc. Bon Voyage!

2 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Curious if you have an idea on how full the ship is, does it feel crowded at all? 

There are minimal lines.  Plenty of room.   The ship is sold out.  This is a hidden secret of the old tonnage.  The new designs add three more decks of cabins to the basic common areas. 

1 hour ago, NC Fred said:

Would love it if you could post pictures of MDR menu's and maybe wine list, of available.

If you have a cell phone and the Celebrity app installed, you can change the sailing to VintageCheap's sailing and have access to all menus, from all restaurants, for the entire duration of the cruise. I assume that the app is accurate.

16 hours ago, VintageCheap said:

There are minimal lines.  Plenty of room.   The ship is sold out.  This is a hidden secret of the old tonnage.  The new designs add three more decks of cabins to the basic common areas. 

Thanks. This is good to hear as our sailing after yours appears to be sold out so plenty of room without dodging people all the time sounds great. Do they have the pizza station in the aft of OVC? A pasta station with it on in the main OVC? All sounds great, so far, but anything lacking?

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks. This is good to hear as our sailing after yours appears to be sold out so plenty of room without dodging people all the time sounds great. Do they have the pizza station in the aft of OVC? A pasta station with it on in the main OVC? All sounds great, so far, but anything lacking?

Yes.  Pizza starboard aft, pasta port.  The pizza is not bad. BBQ Chicken yesterday. 

On a recent NCL sailing they managed to perfectly replicate low end frozen pizza crust via a machine.  How about a water bottle filling station?

Abdul gets a few of his headwaiters out of bed early to watch over MDR breakfast.  On smaller ships the MDR matters still.  On fancier larger ships 92% of the attention is on premium venues. 

Waffles and jelly.  Mmm.

Anchored off Grand Cayman.  About 2.5 hours to get everybody ashore.  Sunrise, Glory and Apex in town today.  Perfect weather.  Good stay on the ship port for us.  I go stir crazy at the dock but we are at anchor.  Shade, loungers and no yukky music on 11 port forward.

1000006894-01.jpeg

1000006991-01.jpeg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, STLCRUISIN said:

Hey guys, Great to hear from you!!! Assuming all went well on your trip home. We're settled back in for now...heading to Equinox in 11 days. We'll be Zenith after that cruise so looking forward in the future to picking up secret Zenith tips 😉. It was very nice meeting and sailing with you both. Have a great holiday and 2024!!!

No delays/problems getting home and then a great Thanksgiving celebration. We were 24 for dinner but with 5 under 7 yr olds it felt like 55!
We must wait for our Spring sailings to reach Zenith. Can’t wait to hear if you pick up any secret tips and tricks! Have a blast and congratulations.

We head to South America Feb.4 for Solstice Antarctic cruise.

We enjoyed meeting you both too🤗

On 11/29/2023 at 7:13 AM, cruzeluver said:

Enjoying following along! Constellation is an old favorite and we will be on board in mid February. Sailing from Tampa is a delight!!

Tampa is a great cruise port.  And will be a haven for smaller older ships.  I was pointing out the lack of lines aboard.  Like none at all for MDR at 7.  Not bad.   The Corporate dinner menus could use a few more choices.  What was served - no complaints. 

Speaking of food the end cap pastry displays in the buffet work on me.  I would like to see an early riser breakfast.  Maybe by the pool to save on staff.

There is room for one more chair in the library.  I was telling the Cruise Director I always smile when a smaller older ship wins awards.

1000007020-01.jpeg

1000006984-01.jpeg

1000006988-01.jpeg

1000006989-01.jpeg

1000006997-01.jpeg

1000007011-01.jpeg

1000007012-01.jpeg

1000007013-01.jpeg

Edited by VintageCheap
  • Like 2

We are not in Kansas any more.  After some swells last night (good to be on Deck 2) we are here.

Cute parrots and monkeys in a tiny, free, secure rain forest at the port. 

Currency exchange by the parrots.  We got some pesos.  20231202_095208.thumb.jpg.99a833296555341ffb56df91d0c425f8.jpgTaxi to Cafe Pascal for Acacado Toast $20. 

The city feels completely safe.

DW liked the 0700 free stretch and sea turtle lecture yesterday.

20231202_101656.jpg

1000007070-02.jpeg

1000007085-01.jpeg

• Like 3

The reports back from the city were not great.  We timed out at noon- the brunch was good and there were more places to try in the New York Times 2023 review, but it was 90 or 92 out.

Taxis were plentiful and took dollars.  Some shops did not.  The areas -Old Town and Getsemani- felt 100% safe.  Loads of police and uniformed military.  You can find many items in shops- cell accessories,  hardware, etc.

The cute mini zoo at the port made us smile.

Bands aboard tend to play a lot of jazzy numbers.  We have been known to beg for old school dance numbers. Jazz fusion cannot be danced to really.

MDR has found us tables for two every night.  And are good at fish.  We tried but did not like the spa food offers up on 10.  We observed bacon and french toast being smuggled in. 

Need to track down Abdul on the bar snacks 4 aft.   They appear and disappear randomly.  I don't need more salt or calories however.

Pizza was good again at lunch on 10.  I was today craving lunch items only served on other lines- Poolside Mexican and Buffalo Chicken. 

We had a sale on cabin air filters on deck 2 port.

1000007090-01.jpeg

1000007103-01.jpeg

1000007108-01.jpeg

1000007127-01.jpeg

1000007131-01.jpeg

1000007138-01.jpeg

1000007111-01.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VintageCheap said:
21 hours ago, VintageCheap said:

We are not in Kansas any more.  After some swells last night (good to be on Deck 2) we are here.

<<<SNIP>>>

Where is "here"? Assuming Cartagena or Panama?

Thanks

On 11/29/2023 at 2:20 PM, VintageCheap said:

I ran into Abdul again - F&B Director.

Abdul, Juan and Dario and the head chef (Italian) certainly keep the dining experience top notch on this ship.  We have done 54 days with them this year.

• Like 1