Riviera Cancellations

Zebra Cruiser

I’m a seasoned traveler- land and cruise based.  Oceania came highly recommended to me.  First Oceania cruise a year ago five port days cancelled for non-weather or political/safety reasons.  Booked my second cruise on board for next December.  Received email today all Riviera November and December cruises cancelled next year.  No explanation.   The benefits I received for booking in advance on board all gone.  I’m done.  A shame since the onboard staff and experience was great, but corporate office unresponsive and not concerned.  As a solo traveler I expect more for the amount of money (please don’t say if you can afford to cruise, it doesn’t matter - as I reach this time in my life I’m carefully calculating spending my life savings for lifetime goals). While times are changing, no, in my experience other companies show more concern for their customers, even when things must be changed.  

Edited by Zebra Cruiser
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It would be helpful if you said where your cancelled cruises were scheduled to sail and be more specific on your cancelled ports (where and when).

My specific cruise was Abu Dhabi to Singapore, but as stated all November and December cruises were cancelled so not sure how helpful that is.  Also have friends doing the same cruise this spring with no cancellation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zebra Cruiser said:

My specific cruise was Abu Dhabi to Singapore, but as stated all November and December cruises were cancelled so not sure how helpful that is.  Also have friends doing the same cruise this spring with no cancellation.

Just trying to see where world crises might be an issue and have a broader understanding of the situations that might have led to the cancellations.  Do you have an issue with the port cancellations you describe as " cancelled for non-weather or political/safety reasons?"  I understand political/safety reasons, but what are the "non-weather" reasons? 

One of Oceania's flaws is it's inability to be communicate and be transparent with it passengers, but O doesn't cancel on a whim, but has solid reasons behind its decision.  It's tough to figure those reasons out without the detail.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

One of Oceania's flaws is it's inability to be communicate and be transparent with it passengers, but O doesn't cancel on a whim, but has solid reasons behind its decision.  It's tough to figure those reasons out without the detail.

Actually, one of O’s strengths is to consider and pursue all possible avenues to maintain an original itinerary before making a change and also to not inform passengers prematurely with incomplete information that may change numerous times before all is finalized. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Just trying to see where world crises might be an issue and have a broader understanding of the situations that might have led to the cancellations.  Do you have an issue with the port cancellations you describe as " cancelled for non-weather or political/safety reasons?"  I understand political/safety reasons, but what are the "non-weather" reasons? 

Agree transparent (and respectful) communication is a big issue.  Lots of previous posts on this, but 35 day round Australia cruise last year- 2 days in Brisbane cancelled, no explanation but assume it had to do with changes in the port there;  Thursday Island, no explanation -just was no longer on itinerary when we boarded; kangaroo island & Portland stuck at sea so they could clean the hull before next cruise to New Zealand - we were emailed by a privately booked tour company that we would not be going ashore - it was hours later before Oceania told us - a lot more to this story, but I think you get the picture…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zebra Cruiser said:

Stated we would be refunded but no other information 

You can probably call who you booked with  or TA & have the onboard booking deal re instated  since Oceania cancelled your sailing

Last port  I see in Nov 2024  is Barcelona  so  since  they would have to go through  Suez  for your  sailing ( which I think they are trying to avoid in the future) it is probably a work in progress

JMO  though

From the other positing where you discussed this, they did say they were "re-focusing". So, I assume that means changing where the ship is going for whatever reasons they have.

BUT at least you have nearly a year of advanced notice.

What would you have liked to have happened? 

If you do rebook for a different cruise, you should ask for any benefits you accrued to be transferred to the new booking. 

I think a year out is enough notice, but I can understand it would be disappointing. 

• Like 3

The itineraries for the cruises that have been cancelled for 2024 are very similar to the cruises in 2023  that folks have been complaining about not being allowed to cancel with a full refund.  They were scheduled to go through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea and other areas of the Middle East.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

The itineraries for the cruises that have been cancelled for 2024 are very similar to the cruises in 2023  that folks have been complaining about not being allowed to cancel with a full refund.  They were scheduled to go through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea and other areas of the Middle East.  

If that is the case, it is a prudent decision. I believe that most cruise lines are readjusting itineraries from that part of the world, and are still in the planning stages. There are a lot of ships needing to be rerouted, without added ports to accommodate them. I can understand the disappointment, but if this is the fact, it’s a wise change. 

• Thanks 1

After reading lots of post about cancelled posts and in this case entire itineraries, it seems communication is often delayed.  The thread then has updates a week or two later with a resolutions sometimes good and sometimes bad.  If you are upset about the loss of benefits because you booked the cruise while onboard, something tells me that will be resolved.  Please keep us up to speed on the resolution if and when it happens.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.