Why don't I have a Love Affair with Melbourne

2 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Now the downside ..........for me its the weather! I can cope with 4 seasons in one day but in winter with grey skies, drizzle and cold that goes all the way to the bone and I tend to suffer from SAD, Qld looks rather good and I try to get away for a while in winter.

Speaking from experience and as a fellow Melburnian, don't bother trying to complain about our weather to anyone from the Northern Hemisphere! They will laugh in your face and tell you what a real winter looks like!

I'm not leaving the house today because it's raining which is very weak of me. I know people in the UK would consider today to be like a typical English summer's day and be out walking the dogs.

• Like 2

Originally from Sydney, first 35 years, last 15 in Melbourne. Love the aesthetic beauty of Sydney but it is a horror to move around, I travel there for work and to visit my family a couple of times a month. I love Melbourne, it’s theatre, food and vibe, I dislike the weather and I winter grey in particular. Have booked Viking cruise syd -Auck next Christmas, I will not be getting off at a number of stops, including Melb, I live in port Melbourne, good way to avoid the family issues re Christmas, visit them in syd and Auck! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet2727 said:

Originally from Sydney, first 35 years, last 15 in Melbourne. Love the aesthetic beauty of Sydney but it is a horror to move around, I travel there for work and to visit my family a couple of times a month. I love Melbourne, it’s theatre, food and vibe, I dislike the weather and I winter grey in particular. Have booked Viking cruise syd -Auck next Christmas, I will not be getting off at a number of stops, including Melb, I live in port Melbourne, good way to avoid the family issues re Christmas, visit them in syd and Auck! 

I have loved this conversation .   I live out in the suburbs of Melbourne.   Came here 50 years ago from Edinburgh,  I never thought Edinburgh was that nice but everyone tells me it’s a wonderful place.   Yes Melbourne is nice even the weather,   Remember having to shovel the snow in the winter in Scotland.  At least don’t have to do that in Melbourne.

lovely discussion.

Eileen

• Like 3

I enjoy Melbourne greatly when I visit. It has plenty of attractions to suit a varied range of interests. That said, I must be unlucky in not having found coffee better than any other city in Australia, mind you I haven't had coffee from that many cafes, probably only around 20 or so.

My single female cousin, who lived and worked in Melbourne, took me to a Club there.  The menu given to me had no prices on it, but hers did. I had to be careful to not choose anything which I thought would be too expensive.

When she died, my Queensland uncle was the sole beneficiary.  Whilst family members attended the funeral, someone stripped the house.  Living interstate, my uncle had no idea what was stolen.  

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My single female cousin, who lived and worked in Melbourne, took me to a Club there.  The menu given to me had no prices on it, but hers did. I had to be careful to not choose anything which I thought would be too expensive.

When she died, my Queensland uncle was the sole beneficiary.  Whilst family members attended the funeral, someone stripped the house.  Living interstate, my uncle had no idea what was stolen.  

What an awful thing to happen, sorry it happened to your family. There are some nasty rats out there 😡 

Just now, Jean C said:

What an awful thing to happen, sorry it happened to your family. There are some nasty rats out there 😡 

Yes there was too much identifying information given in the funeral notice.  My uncle was formal like that. He even put my aunt's taxi driver in her funeral notice, because he looked after her like family on her weekly trips to the RSL in Southport.

• Like 2