"Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones" not allowed > new iPhones have satellite

nudistcruzer

"Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios and satellite phones" are not allowed on NCL ships and maybe others. New iPhones have satellite features built in.

"With iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro, you can connect your iPhone to a satellite to text emergency services, request roadside assistance, and share your location with friends and family — all while you're off the grid with no cellular and Wi-Fi coverage."

Does this mean that anyone with a newer iPhone could potentially have it confiscated?

Certainly, if you travel to certain countries, they can and will confiscate these phones. None of the countries you are likely to visit in the caribbean would be a problem, except Cuba, where these iPhones are prohibited. 

Here is a link to how to connect your iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 15, or iPhone 15 Pro to a satellite: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213885

Anyone with information on how NCL, and/or other cruise lines where these iPhones might be prohibited, handle this would be appreciated. 

EDIT: The same line of prohibited items is on the Carnival Website.  So this question is really industry wide.

Edited by nudistcruzer
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, omahabob said:

iPhones are not satellite phones. All they can do is send emergency texts to an Apple comm center. They are not prohibited.

Certainly iPhones with the Satellite capability are forbidden in China, India and Cuba. Why are satellite phones not allowed on Cruise Ships? Some travel websites suggest that satellite phones are great on cruise ships.  iPhones communicate through the same satellite network as some satellite phones, "Globalstar".

Apple says you can use your phone to share your location with friends and text them via satellite. Generally if something is illegal anywhere they might stop with any ship, it is illegal on the ship. Walgreens CBD ointment that is legal in all 50 states and the Bahamas is not allowed on an NCL Cruise, even when the Cruise only goes to the Bahamas from Miami.

Since these iPhones are illegal in a lot of places, I'm surprised that they haven't at least addressed the issue. 

I don't possibly think they could ban iPhones. But, they have already banned Satellite phones.

Edited by nudistcruzer

Satellite phones are not allowed (along with ham radios and EPIRBs) for a couple of reasons.  One, that includes the ham radios and EPIRBs, is that those devices, and satellite phones, are included in the ship's Radiotelephony Certificate as inspected and regulated equipment (under SOLAS).  Satellite phones owned by passengers are not able to be itemized on the certificate, as all other equipment is, and therefore are not under the Captain's direct control.  The second reason is that there could be potential interference with the ship's navigation and communication devices, so that is not allowed,

And, your mention of CBD brings up the other part.  Items that are considered to be dangerous or addictive drugs (as determined by the WHO) are prohibited on ships.  So, even in countries where marijuana is either legal or decriminalized, like the Bahamas, Bahamian flag ships do not allow marijuana.  The Maritime industry is covered by their own set of laws, for the most part.  Bahamian law, just like the law of any flag state, calls out the differences in their laws between on land and on ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

"Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios and satellite phones" are not allowed on NCL ships and maybe others. New iPhones have satellite features built in.

Having "satellite features built in" does not make something a satellite phone.  

When you consider GPS is satellite-based, then using the same logic one could say any phone with GPS capabilities is a satellite phone.

The fact that some countries ban something doesn't mean the cruise ship should.  Many Caribbean islands don't allow camouflage clothing.  I'm not aware of any mass-market cruise ship that has the same ban.

• Like 3

I looked at the NCL site and they show this:

Large Batteries, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers are not allowed onboard.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-not-bring-onboard

But if you look at the full list it does not have transformers, which is good since virtually every charger is a transformer unless they mean these?

Robot-de-Transformation-bumblebee-blocs-

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, fredflint said:

But if you look at the full list it does not have transformers, which is good since virtually every charger is a transformer unless they mean these?

Technically, chargers are converters, not transformers, since they change AC current to DC current.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Satellite phones are not allowed (along with ham radios and EPIRBs) for a couple of reasons.  One, that includes the ham radios and EPIRBs, is that those devices, and satellite phones, are included in the ship's Radiotelephony Certificate as inspected and regulated equipment (under SOLAS).  Satellite phones owned by passengers are not able to be itemized on the certificate, as all other equipment is, and therefore are not under the Captain's direct control.  The second reason is that there could be potential interference with the ship's navigation and communication devices, so that is not allowed,

And, your mention of CBD brings up the other part.  Items that are considered to be dangerous or addictive drugs (as determined by the WHO) are prohibited on ships.  So, even in countries where marijuana is either legal or decriminalized, like the Bahamas, Bahamian flag ships do not allow marijuana.  The Maritime industry is covered by their own set of laws, for the most part.  Bahamian law, just like the law of any flag state, calls out the differences in their laws between on land and on ship.

Funny, on our first cruise in 2010 I grabbed one of my ditch bags from our boat. It fit nicely into our checked luggage. It contained among other things, one of my handheld EPIRBS and VHF

Not carrying an EPIRB is really smart, no one needs that stress if it goes off and no one notices. Search and rescue spend already too much time tracking down EPIRBs going off in a fedex truck as is. New IPhones as stated are not going to cause the same issues as these other banned devices. I won’t be able to get my bf to cruise with me unless he can have a sat phone on him probably. His work does not allow him to ever be away from his phone. Guess I’ll continue to travel solo for a while.

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Good to know about Sat phones. I lost my little GPS  that I cruise with, and looking for a replacement, similar size devices also included  sat phones, that I definitely did not want, but not even thinking it would pose an issue onboard.

15 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Having "satellite features built in" does not make something a satellite phone.  

When you consider GPS is satellite-based, then using the same logic one could say any phone with GPS capabilities is a satellite phone.

The fact that some countries ban something doesn't mean the cruise ship should.  Many Caribbean islands don't allow camouflage clothing.  I'm not aware of any mass-market cruise ship that has the same ban.

You cannot use a GPS satellite to transmit your location to someone, you cannot use a GPS satellite to send text messages through the satellite to someone. GPS devices are not illegal in in India, I don’t think. However, an iPhone 14 bought in the United States is totally illegal in India. You can use an iPhone 14 to send your location to somebody through the satellite system. You can also use the satellite system to send text messages through the satellite to someone. Any justification for not allowing “satellite phones” I think would also apply to any device that can send messages and locations through a satellite. Would a Globalstar satellite texting device be allowed? Certainly, a Globalstar satellite phone is not allowed. New iPhones have the same abilities as a Globalstar satellite texting device. IMG_7777.png.a213a5a58999019e47247c522349b7df.png

Edited by nudistcruzer

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Good to know about Sat phones. I lost my little GPS  that I cruise with, and looking for a replacement, similar size devices also included  sat phones, that I definitely did not want, but not even thinking it would pose an issue onboard.

An iPhone for many years has had a GPS chip. This can be used in airplane mode, because GPS devices do not transmit.  If you have a navigation app that can download maps / charts to your phone it can have all the functionality of a handheld GPS device. Typically most nav apps need an internet connection to download maps on the fly. Google maps has a feature that allows you to download certain regions. If you are going somewhere that you know you will not have Internet you can download these maps in advance and still have total Google maps functionality with no Internet or cell phone access. 

Edited by nudistcruzer

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So why are satellite phones allowed on Royal Caribbean?

10 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Not carrying an EPIRB is really smart, no one needs that stress if it goes off and no one notices. Search and rescue spend already too much time tracking down EPIRBs going off in a fedex truck as is. New IPhones as stated are not going to cause the same issues as these other banned devices. I won’t be able to get my bf to cruise with me unless he can have a sat phone on him probably. His work does not allow him to ever be away from his phone. Guess I’ll continue to travel solo for a while.

Royal Caribbean does not list satellite phones as being banned. I only checked carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Satellite phones are banned on NCL and carnival but not listed as banned on Royal Caribbean. It is possible, although I don’t know, that Royal Caribbean does not go to ports in China, or other countries where satellite phones are illegal.

Edited by nudistcruzer

11 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Funny, on our first cruise in 2010 I grabbed one of my ditch bags from our boat. It fit nicely into our checked luggage. It contained among other things, one of my handheld EPIRBS and VHF

I think I’ve brought my VHF on a ship before, it was fun to listen to port operations at the different ports. I didn’t know there was a ban. My current VHF doesn’t have Specifically an EPIRB device built in, but it has a GPS and can transmit my location via VHF with an ID that corresponds with a record that shows my vessel type. Certainly, there is a good reason for banning VHF radios. Someone could create huge problems with one on a ship if they started transmitting on frequencies used by the ship or port.

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t know of anyone who carries a Sat Phone. Don’t know why you would.  What’s the point of this thread?

New Apple iPhones (14/14 Pro & 15/15 Pro), sold in the United States and many other countries, can transmit one’s location and text messages via satellites. I had a 2 inch blade on a pocket knife in a checked piece of luggage that was confiscated when I got on a train, earlier today. On any airplane, in checked luggage and on any cruise ship, this would be totally allowed; I don’t like surprises.

Another item has been banned. Although I have never brought a fan on a cruise ship, I know many that use these for sleep. Apparently Norwegian Cruise Lines has banned all fans.

Edited by nudistcruzer

12 hours ago, fredflint said:

I looked at the NCL site and they show this:

Large Batteries, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers are not allowed onboard.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#what-not-bring-onboard

Robot-de-Transformation-bumblebee-blocs-

The full list does also have transformers listed, item 26 right after satellite phones. I would’ve called any phone charger a transformer. I am sure they are not talking about these and I am not sure what they are talking about. However, large, especially older, transformers may contain hazardous chemicals such as PCBs.

Edited by nudistcruzer

42 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

New Apple iPhones (14/14 Pro & 15/15 Pro), sold in the United States and many other countries, can transmit one’s location and text messages via satellites. I had a 2 inch blade on a pocket knife in a checked piece of luggage that was confiscated when I got on a train, earlier today. On any airplane, in checked luggage and on any cruise ship, this would be totally allowed; I don’t like surprises.

Another item has been banned. Although I have never brought a fan on a cruise ship, I know many that use these for sleep. Apparently Norwegian Cruise Lines has banned all fans.

Again....I don't know of anyone who does, or wants to carry a Sat Phone, nor the relevance of any of this.  

Maybe rethink carrying knives on planes and cruise ships!

Edited by graphicguy

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Again....I don't know of anyone who does, or wants to carry a Sat Phone, nor the relevance of any of this.  

Maybe rethink carrying knives on planes and cruise ships!

Well, if you have an iPhone 14 you have a phone that can transmit to satellites whether you want it or not. How can a knife in a checked baggage, in the hold of an aircraft harm anybody? All right, so we’re going to ban all steak from all cruise ships because nobody’s allowed to use a sharp knife anymore. Scissors also are not allowed in checked luggage on Brightline.

Edited by nudistcruzer

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I don’t know of anyone who carries a Sat Phone. Don’t know why you would.  What’s the point of this thread?

One potential reason is someone is going on a backcountry trip before or after the cruise. They don’t actually need it during the cruise so it could be handed over to the naughty room probably as long as it’s off. This is something I’ll be looking at since I am planning to cruise, hike, cruise, hike, cruise as a big trip to Australia and New Zealand hopefully in 2026.

• Thanks 2