Best time to cruise for "peak" fall colors

auntmeg

I know that the fall color peak varies each year depending on a variety of climatic factors, however, is there some general thought about what week is best to cruise in order to see fall colors.

I put a $25 deposit (refundable) on a cruise leaving Boston on September 27, 2025 and stopping in Rockland, Maine; Saint John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Portland, Maine; and end back at Boston on October 4.

But I'm wondering if this might be too late in the season.

Also, do the shops and attractions shut down late in the season as they do in Alaska?

I agreewith 1025cruise... you may be a week or two early.  Take the risk though and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

I don't know about Rockland, Maine but the shops/stores and the majority of sites will be open in the other destinations.  One place you may want to check carefully is the Fortress of Louisbourg (Sydney stop) if that interests you.  The Fortress ought to be open but all the displays and activities that are normally on during the high season may not be available.

This year we left New Jersey on 10/5. There was some color, but nothing special. It seemed like some places we were too early and others we were too late. The best thing we saw were whales! They put on quite a show on the way back to New Jersey. Even if the leaves aren’t great it is still a scenic area to explore. I’d like to go back. 

We are booked on a cruise that departs Montreal on October 5, 2024.  I told a friend who lives there what our plans were and she was very excited for us, saying that October 5th is the target date for beautiful leaves in her city, when the fall colors are usually at their peak.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:30 PM, ymncruise said:

This year we left New Jersey on 10/5. There was some color, but nothing special. It seemed like some places we were too early and others we were too late. The best thing we saw were whales! They put on quite a show on the way back to New Jersey. Even if the leaves aren’t great it is still a scenic area to explore. I’d like to go back. 

We did the Oct 5th cruise on Liberty also and will agree with you. We've done this similar time frame a few times and usually there was amazing color. Oh well it was a great trip except for missing Portland and the pouring rain in Halifax.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

We did the Oct 5th cruise on Liberty also and will agree with you. We've done this similar time frame a few times and usually there was amazing color. Oh well it was a great trip except for missing Portland and the pouring rain in Halifax.

Yes, 🙌 would like to do it again that week!

• 4 months later...

We are booked for the week of the 12th of October.  Stops are Newport, Bar Harbor, Portland, St. John and Halifax.   Rethinking that I need to change to the week of the 5th. Thoughts on the timing of fall colors at those ports?   This is likely a one-time cruise to these ports as DH prefers warmer climates.   

2 hours ago, 80sGal said:

We are booked for the week of the 12th of October.  Stops are Newport, Bar Harbor, Portland, St. John and Halifax.   Rethinking that I need to change to the week of the 5th. Thoughts on the timing of fall colors at those ports?   This is likely a one-time cruise to these ports as DH prefers warmer climates.   

It really depends on weather.  Last year we sailed 10/7 and had a similar itinerary (Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John and Halifax) and in some places the leaves were just starting to change so the cruises after us would have seen better color. 

It's still a really beautiful cruise, peak foliage or not.  We're doing it again this September.  I hope you enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Have always wanted to do Halifax, Fortress Louisburg, Maine etc. cruise. I wish they were available in other times of the year. My job restricts any vacation time July-Nov. It is on my bucket list someday. For now, a winter cruise every couple year in the C

aribbean is working 🙂