Multiple medical emergencies Anthem

sadiwest

On 12/4/2023 at 4:15 AM, brillohead said:

As a nurse myself, I have to say that I'd rather stay on the ship than get off for medical care in Haiti!!!

I would hope that a medivac helicopter would at a minimum take a passenger to a hospital in the Dominican Republic.  The distance to Puerto Rico, about 600 miles, looks like it is close to the outer limit of a medivac helicopter, but they could calculate that.  

On 12/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, kitkat343 said:

I think they are allowed to choose if they get off or stay.  If you remember that awful incident a few years ago where the passenger swore when room service woke her up and the guy came back and attacked her, the first passenger who responded to her screams chose to leave the cruise with her because he didn't want her to be completely alone when she went to the hospital on land.

No, don't recall that one. What?

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

No, don't recall that one. What?

The site isn't currently letting me link an article on this (I tried to submit it earlier but it is hung up in a review so it might come back later).   If you google the name of the HAL employee Ketut Pujayasa, you can read about the case (but fair warning it is very disturbing).  He was sentenced to 30 years for sexual assault and attempted murder.

Edited by kitkat343

12/2 symphony sailing started with @90 min sail away delay and a family was seen walking off w their luggage, later 1 Alpha call and then days later something i have never heard before-a call into the cabins for a "humanitarian aid" requesting male volunteers meeting qualifications to come to medical to donate blood for emergency transfusion. Though not male i tried a while after to donateand was told it was covered. Seriously hope all went well.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:52 PM, njkruzer said:

The only time I heard they let a family member go on a helicopter evacuation was a single mother being evacuated (may have beeN unconscious) and her child, young, was evacuated.  Obviously Royal didn't want to be left with a young child until we arrived at the next port, Boston.   Evacuation occurred between Halifax and Boston.  Passenger was from the UK.  She was ok and posted from the hospital several days later.

About 2 years ago captain of ?? Of the Seas turned the ship back toward Purto Rico to close the distance for a medical copter to pick up a man. Prior to taking him up in the stretcher, they sent down the chair for his (assumed) wife.   We said, she didn’t look sick?  Then he came out in the stretcher and that was some great chopper flying, about 75 feet off deck, perpendicular to ship traveling 15 knots, to lift him aboard and fly back to PR.

Eddie

I don't think people realize how common medical emergencies are on cruise ships.  Not all are visible or known by the guests.  We had one cruise out of Baltimore (Grandeur) where we had multiple as in like 5 or 6 for the entire 12 nights that we knew about.  One was before we even reached the Bay Bridge.  That was done by Coast Guard boat.  Some are stable enough to wait til a port.  

14 hours ago, BND said:

I don't think people realize how common medical emergencies are on cruise ships.  Not all are visible or known by the guests.  We had one cruise out of Baltimore (Grandeur) where we had multiple as in like 5 or 6 for the entire 12 nights that we knew about.  One was before we even reached the Bay Bridge.  That was done by Coast Guard boat.  Some are stable enough to wait til a port.  

We had one heli med evac off Grandeur the first night, still in the Bay.

When my mother was taken off in Halifax, there was another one also.  I asked the port agent, and he told me one sailing, the pulled and replaced the gang way 6 times for med evac.  Each time they pulled it, before they could get untied, they had another one.

But even a Vision class can have 3000 passengers and 1000 crew.  You should expect a number of issues per week.

US death rate is about 1% per year. 1,043 per 100k people per year.  So a big cruise ship has over 7000 pax and crew, so per year, expect 70 deaths or more than one per week

Edited by SRF

13 hours ago, SRF said:

US death rate is about 1% per year. 1,043 per 100k people per year.  So a big cruise ship has over 7000 pax and crew, so per year, expect 70 deaths or more than one per week

And then you have to add in the fact that the average age of a cruiser (particularly on the "smaller" ships that don't appeal to families as much as the Oasis class and such) is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the average age of the US population, which further increases the chances of mortality on each sailing.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:53 AM, SRF said:

We had one heli med evac off Grandeur the first night, still in the Bay.

When my mother was taken off in Halifax, there was another one also.  I asked the port agent, and he told me one sailing, the pulled and replaced the gang way 6 times for med evac.  Each time they pulled it, before they could get untied, they had another one.

But even a Vision class can have 3000 passengers and 1000 crew.  You should expect a number of issues per week.

If the normal passenger load is 7000, 1% of that is 70, divided by  52 weeks in a year is 1.34. round up to two for the age of the passengers and I think it's closer to that.

We had my mom medically disembark from the ship on our last cruise (although we were in port when the decision was made).  My dad was able to leave with her, no problem.  I was a bit more of a problem (different reservation) but they let me off as well.  She spent 8 days in the hospital.

What I remember is the number of other passengers who wanted to make fun of our situation to us.  We were day 4 of a 13 day cruise, and everyone wanted to know if our suitcases had just gotten there or "why on earth you'd possibly be leaving".  No one offered to help.

ON the other hand, at the hospital, we met another cruising family who lost their husband, so I'll deal with idiots for that.  The draw for the cruise was the Holy Land, and war broke out while we were in the hospital, so we even didn't lose out on anything the others didn't.  And mom is fine now.