*LIVE* from the Inaugural Voyage of the Norwegian Viva December 2, 2023

BirdTravels

@BirdTravels thanks for another well documented & detailed trip report!

It’s pretty interesting when there’s concurrent reports for the same cruise, see

We had 2 reporting (I thought I saw a 3rd thread early on) on V!va’s Maiden Transatlantic (16-27 Nov, Lisbon to Miami)

It was especially interesting reading @JIMESOPUS report as he went to several different activities we couldn’t make. There were so many competing activities, we couldn’t do everything we were interested in but we could read Jim’s reporting and grumble when we missed something great 😆  Both our reports are in the Live Reports section. He did a B2B so started about 10 days earlier.

Edited by ColdCruise
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 2:37 PM, olemissreb said:

$35 is cheap and if it's like the ones I've done on land, it should be a blast. The guys will just have to go hang in the whiskey bar while my sister and I paint...pretty sure they won't complain too much.

We book a Canvas by U on every cruise. It is fun and we bring our own wine 🙂 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 7:08 PM, depplep said:

I really love NCL's use of outdoor spaces. Beautiful ship.

Yes. And the outdoor restaurant is designed to be less affected by the weather and seas which closes the outdoors on BA+ ships. Closer to the outdoors restaurant on the Epic. 

22 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

I don’t remember an outdoor restaurant on Epic @BirdTravels. Can’t believe I missed that - the weather on that TA suited outdoor dining. Where is it and what’s its name? Yes, I’m being too lazy to look it up, plus you know… dialogue 😉

I believe it's technically called the Courtyard Grille.

We spent several afternoons there on our last cruise eating snacks (otherwise known as "second lunch") when we got back from excursions.

9 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Thanks @BirdTravels for the pics & @brookie848 for the info. Was this in the haven area? If so, that would explain why I’m drawing a blank on this restaurant. It look like a relaxing place .

BTW, like the “second lunch”  term 😉

Yes...it's in the Haven. One of the many reasons why Epic's Haven is one of the best in the fleet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the very detailed report.  I really appreciate the thoroughness - you never know what little detail might appeal to someone.  And thanks for explaining the whole maiden/inaugural thing - I was very confused.  😁

Viva is officially on my to do list for 2025!

43 minutes ago, spethstation said:

$600 massage?! Insanity. 😱

It's a couples massage, but yes the regular prices are insane. I don't know why people would book this stuff...I guess they found the leprechaun's bowl at the end of the rainbow. I haven't yet. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's a couples massage, but yes the regular prices are insane. I don't know why people would book this stuff...I guess they found the leprechaun's bowl at the end of the rainbow. I haven't yet. 

Sometimes, when I have extra OBC I use it in ways I would not if it was my hard earned dollars - I assume many people do the same.  I am an expert at spending other people's money. 😁

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2023 at 5:53 PM, BirdTravels said:

The Pool Deck is the place to watch US NFL football, while sipping a drink in the pool. 

Because I see the question asked frequently, on the Dec 15 Viva, the NFL games they were showing were always shown in The Local and on Channel 18 in your stateroom.  They were sometimes shown on the pool deck. The funny thing was the one time I went up to the pool deck to see a game, the game was on the screen but the only place to sit was on the other side of the pool at the bar.  It was as if the pool deck staff didn't get the memo they were showing NFL out there that evening.

On 12/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

The cruise staff will take you step-by-step to create a Park West Art Auction-worthy painting in one hour. 

There is a heck of a lot said in that one sentence.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:07 AM, smillerholmes said:

Sometimes, when I have extra OBC I use it in ways I would not if it was my hard earned dollars - I assume many people do the same.  I am an expert at spending other people's money. 😁

OH! So true! I am so completely with you. If I ever had an overabundance of OBC, I'd totally pay full price for a massage, a bottle of something as a gift (I don't really drink alcohol when not cruising). As it is, with the ship model, Cruise Next, WiFi upgrade, we never have OBC left and rarely leave the ship without a bill. I don't think we'll ever be pulled aside at the gangway and told to go to Guest Services for a few bucks. 

On 12/19/2023 at 1:10 AM, smillerholmes said:

Thanks so much for the very detailed report.  I really appreciate the thoroughness - you never know what little detail might appeal to someone.  And thanks for explaining the whole maiden/inaugural thing - I was very confused.  😁

Viva is officially on my to do list for 2025!

Some people post pictures of others acting silly on vacation. Others post pictures of themselves acting silly on vacation. It all lives on the internet forever. 

The Bird chooses to proactively post responses to the most frequently asked questions on Cruise Critic. This is the best contribution The Bird can make to the community. (You certainly don’t need to see The Bird in a bathing suit flailing down a water slide). (Or the all time low score at Tee Time). 

Is the pool adults only? Can you post a Cagney’s menu. Can the Haven Restaurant handle my group of 20? How are the seats in Syd Norman’s? Can you post Freestyle Dailies? What is on Day 2 main dining room?  Can someone post a Starbucks menu? I am platinum, what line do I stand in at check-in?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Is the pool adults only? Can you post a Cagney’s menu. Can the Haven Restaurant handle my group of 20? How are the seats in Syd Norman’s? Can you post Freestyle Dailies? What is on Day 2 main dining room?  Can someone post a Starbucks menu? I am platinum, what line do I stand in at check-in?  

• no.

• yes, cruise critic permits posting of menus.

• with advance notice, anything is possible, but you may be asked to divide your party into smaller groups. you probably don't want to talk to nineteen other people during dinner, anyway. especially those people.

• the seats are fine, but few.

• yes, cruise critic permits posting of dailies.

• menus rotate and vary and nobody can say with certainty what will be served on day 2 of your cruise. it's best to eat before boarding the cruise on day 1 and in all ports.

• yes, cruise critic permits posting of menus.

• the line that is moving the quickest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Some people post pictures of others acting silly on vacation. Others post pictures of themselves acting silly on vacation. It all lives on the internet forever. 

The Bird chooses to proactively post responses to the most frequently asked questions on Cruise Critic. This is the best contribution The Bird can make to the community. (You certainly don’t need to see The Bird in a bathing suit flailing down a water slide). (Or the all time low score at Tee Time). 

That covers it.

My addendum....

I think most here how have been around for a while will help where we can.  That said, as you pointed out, the requests do become redundant, some are actually silly, and most can be answered by looking at the "stickies" at the top of the NCL thread.

Best advice I can offer is to get to the port from an airport, a hotel, an AirBnB, in a car, or bus, or plane, or train, etc.  Pick the one that fits you best.   Find the line that identifies your particular situation and/or status.  Follow it.

Get on board.  The safety drill is mandatory.  Do it, watch it, check in for it....as soon as you arrive.

If there's a line for a particular bar, don't complain about it.  Just walk 75 feet in either direction and you'll find another bar.

There is no "formal night".  Hasn't been for quite some time on NCL.  So, dress how you want.  Tux? Gown? Khakis? Polo?  All OK.  No one will care.  And, your opinion of how someone else dresses has zero worth.  

Get to the shows you want to see early.  Some of the smaller venues tend to fill up quickly.  Everything else?  Don't show up late and try to crawl all over everyone else who got their on time.  Don't stand and wave for your group in the middle of a show.  The hundreds of other theater goers will hate you for it, and we'll be on the lookout for you throughout the cruise to hiss at you (j/k......maybe)!

If you want to dine in a Specialty Restaurant and can't get a reservation, go to their seating stand and ask if there are any openings for no shows and/or cancellations.  I'd say it's better than 50-50 you'll be seated within 15 minutes.  If not, find another restaurant.  There are plenty.

Generally speaking, the crew are there specifically to take care of you.  If something egregious transpired, let customer service know so they can rectify it.  Don't be a jerk about it.  They'll help, if they can.

You're not the only one on the ship.  Crew will do their utmost best to take care of you, specifically.  But, there are thousands just like you.  

And, my biggest rule for cruising...... don't act like a sphincter.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:48 AM, graphicguy said:

And, my biggest rule for cruising...... don't act like a sphincter.

Words to live by! Perhaps you can trademark that for t-shirts, bumper stickers, water bottles, etc.

Years from now the Jeopardy host will say to the contestants: "don't act like a sphincter" was coined by this well-traveled gentleman as advice to cruise ship passengers.

Answer: Who was @graphicguy?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Words to live by! Perhaps you can trademark that for t-shirts, bumper stickers, water bottles, etc.

Years from now the Jeopardy host will say to the contestants: "don't act like a sphincter" was coined by this well-traveled gentleman as advice to cruise ship passengers.

Answer: Who was @graphicguy?

I DO like the t-shirt idea!

• Like 3