Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

12 hours ago, doghog said:

Speaking of huge, ask Bucky about the ants. No caution signs. 

CostaRica44.thumb.JPG.4129c986b749453f24

Yeah, he busted out laughing when I read him this.  You guys did have the ugly buglies there.  😬

• Like 1

Welcome to Guatemala.  

Speaking of bugs....watched these two walk up from shoreside to place this big mat down at the end of the dock and start it spraying heavily.   Soooo is this to protect them...or us??  🤔😳

Fishing boats ready to go out...huge coal piles in the background with a lot of oil crackers everywhere, plus oil tankers waiting just offshore.  The coal piles are smoking...which happens a lot (Bucky used to work at coal fired power plants around the world as visiting engineer for air heaters they use).  

20240205_075110.jpg

20240205_074924.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Welcome to Guatemala.  

Speaking of bugs....watched these two walk up from shoreside to place this big mat down at the end of the dock and start it spraying heavily.   Soooo is this to protect them...or us??  🤔😳

Might be a bit of both.  😂😉

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Fishing boats ready to go out...huge coal piles in the background with a lot of oil crackers everywhere, plus oil tankers waiting just offshore.  The coal piles are smoking...which happens a lot (Bucky used to work at coal fired power plants around the world as visiting engineer for air heaters they use).  

I never knew that the piles would only smoke.  If you asked me what could happen to them, I would have thought that they could simmer into a burning/fire situation.  Pretty cool that they don't.  

• Like 1

I have been truly enjoying following this thread and your travels - so much so that my husband and I have booked the LA to Brisbane leg! Just wondering if anyone has heard how many passengers are expected to be on that leg? 

• Like 1

I've got some questions for anyone on the cruise that cares to answer:

What things about the cruise are you enjoying more than you thought you would?

What things are you enjoying less than you thought you would?

What are you enjoying the most because you are not at home?

What are you missing the most by not being at home?

Is there anything you wish you had brought that you didn't?

Is there anything you brought that you wish you hadn't?

Thanks!

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, doghog said:

Speaking of huge, ask Bucky about the ants. No caution signs. 

CostaRica44.thumb.JPG.4129c986b749453f24

I just showed this to my husband who was also in Viet Nam.  Oh yes, he said...gigantic red ants who would infest an entire tree,,God help you if you leaned up against the tree...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The sea calls my name said:

I am very late to the dance, ( Icon Inaugural got in my way) but how about Lima?

I just watched a few YouTube video reviews of Icon. All three reviewers said Icon was the most Uncrowded ship they have ever been on. Easy to find a empty lounger by the pool at noon.. True or untrue.  

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Might be a bit of both.  😂😉

I never knew that the piles would only smoke.  If you asked me what could happen to them, I would have thought that they could simmer into a burning/fire situation.  Pretty cool that they don't.  

Bucky told me it was quite common in the coal piles.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sooo...after one of the worst tours of the trip two days ago...we had one of the best.  Again..win some lose some, this was a win.  

Early meeting in the theater at 7:30 am.  Was thrilled to find out that dear new friends Chris and Joslyn, that have been on almost every foodie tour we have been on...were on with us again!  

Kidney busting ride up the highway for almost 2 hours to inland touristy town of Antiqua.  Lots of sugar cane and further up into the highlands...coffee plantations!  20 pax on our tour, and picked up an extra 4 from overloaded "bus 11" tour to add to our very tight quarters small van.  

Arriving at a resort with tropical nursery and wonderful buffet set up, we enjoyed home made Guatemalan style open faced tacos.  Soooo good!  Enjoyed walking around the tropical plants in the nursery.  Big rocky hills on the way up.

20240205_104222.jpg

20240205_095242.jpg

20240205_105524.jpg

20240205_110640.jpg

20240205_112535.jpg

20240205_112559.jpg

• Like 12

On to the next stop...downtown Antiqua.   Wow...must have been 100 or so of these very insistent ladies carrying their wares to tempt us with their scarves and table runners.  I don't need these, but gave in to buy one for my sister.  Plus of course a required fridge magnet.  😉 

20240205_125255.jpg

20240205_135524.jpg

20240205_125441.jpg

• Like 9

Three active volcanoes near to town.  Yikes...but just steaming while we were there.  Nice Volcanos...nice girls...stay calm please.  😉    Tuk tuk taxis everywhere.  Of course the required touristy picture of the town sign.  

20240205_114942.jpg

20240205_115012.jpg

20240205_114822.jpg

• Like 11

On to our lunch restaurant as part of the tour.   Since we picked up the extra 4 pax, and as our usual, we had dragged in last...they put us in a cute little private space from the main table, being that we were 4 over the main table set up.  Kind of like what you would find at a bed and breakfast style set up... we were alongside the main area that the rest sat at.  Wow...the food was fantastic...as was the service. Beautiful garden courtyard dining. 

And another bottle of wine.  😉  Picture of table set up when they all left, and a really cool carved section divider Bucky found.  Interesting first drink...made from Hibiscus flowers. 

20240205_132658.jpg

20240205_134652.jpg

20240205_134707.jpg

20240205_134218.jpg

• Like 17

Next stop...the Jade museum and factory.  The couple that own and run this discovered a huge Jade deposit in the 70s.   They have made their living here since then.  They raw cut, then shape, and polish many pieces of high quality Jade.  Did not have time to purchase any, since I spent too much time checking out the coffee station.  The area has some of the best coffee in the world.  I bought two bags of beans.  🙂  This guy was hand carving an Armadillo and took the time to show it to me.    

20240205_135749.jpg

20240205_141012.jpg

20240205_141232.jpg

20240205_141319.jpg

• Like 14

Really enjoyed our visit here.  If there was one snag...it was the pick pocket that got me.  😮  First time for me. 

I have always had the habit of putting 10-15 dollars of small bills in my left back pocket as "decoy".  Figured if they find that, they will be happy and not look further for the CC, passport card, and large bill I have stuffed in my front pocket that is buttoned down.  Plus I carry my tiny "port purse" in front of me that has hand sanitizer, lip balm, reading glasses, more cash....and my phone.  

I never felt it...they were that good.  Oh well, I guess they were needing that 12 bucks more than I did.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Really enjoyed our visit here.  If there was one snag...it was the pick pocket that got me.  😮  First time for me. 

I have always had the habit of putting 10-15 dollars of small bills in my left back pocket as "decoy".  Figured if they find that, they will be happy and not look further for the CC, passport card, and large bill I have stuffed in my front pocket that is buttoned down.  Plus I carry my tiny "port purse" in front of me that has hand sanitizer, lip balm, reading glasses....and my phone.  

I never felt it...they were that good.  Oh well, I guess they were needing that 12 bucks more than I did.  😉 

Sorry to hear you had that happen to you. Kinda creepy. 👀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

I just watched a few YouTube video reviews of Icon. All three reviewers said Icon was the most Uncrowded ship they have ever been on. Easy to find a empty lounger by the pool at noon.. True or untrue.  

True, but with 7 pools, lots of options.  What we were told is that It had right at 5000 revenue passengers, the other 400-500 were corporate, special quest etc.  So not near at total capacity.

Edited by The sea calls my name
different thought

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, hit and run brush with my butt.  😳

I always like to think I'm aware of my surrounding's. No matter where we are. But there are those more aware of us than we are of them. Too many distractions for sure. Enjoying your pictures. What was the name of the beer Bucky was enjoying?

5 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

True, but with 7 pools, lots of options.  It had right at 5000 revenue passengers, the other 400-500 were corporate, special quest etc.  So not near at total capacity.

We...here on the World Cruise, little Serenade ....are a tad smaller than that.  😉 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, doghog said:

I always like to think I'm aware of my surrounding's. No matter where we are. But there are those more aware of us than we are of them. Too many distractions for sure. Enjoying your pictures. What was the name of the beer Bucky was enjoying?

Gallo...the local beer.  Funny thing is being the same emblem as Gallo wines.  Gallo...meaning Cocky male rooster Chicken in Spanish and Italian.  😉 

• Thanks 1