"THE" Dress

Well ladies I'm off for my fitting for "the dress". For those of you who missed the story of this most delicious dress, I'll paste the story below. I'm not so good at keeping secrets, but I vow to keep this (and my Visa bill:D) away from my husband's prying eyes. I will have my daughter help me post the pics this afternoon. Woohoo - this is a very good day.

From the other thread:

I too found my dream dress this week. I am sooooooooooo excited about this dress.

Here is the wonderful story about the dress. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We've had our Panama Canal cruise planned for almost a year, and while initially thought we'd have to cancel, I am feeling OK, albeit somewhat tired, so sailing we will go. Anyway, my Mom came to visit and help out last week. One day, my 20 year-old daughter and my Mom had a glorious day shopping etc. We popped into a bridal/formal wear store just for fun and we were just ready to head out when my Mom spotted the dress. What a delicious dress it is - spaghetti straps with low-cut fitted top. The dress itself is verry fitted and in wild colors - turquoise blue, hot pink, lime green & white. So upbeat & fun. On a lark I tried it on - the dress looked "fab" and I felt like a million dollars. Asked the saleswoman the price and after not being able to find the tag, she looked it up in the catalogue. My heart sank when she told me it was $565. Sadly, I said the price was far too high as I only had one occassion to wear it. I explained about our upcoming cruise and that hopefully if the chemo was successful, I would be having a masectomy in 5 months. This is definetely a dress that you need a good pair of boobs! :D She made a phone call to the owner of the shop and enquired if $225 was a better price for me. Well, $225 is still exhorbitant for a dress I will probably only wear once, but . . . . I feel like a princess in it and I know it will knock my husband's socks off when he sees me in it. I took about 5 seconds to make up my mind, much to the delight of my mom and daughter.

My hair fell out Friday, so I'm now sporting a new brunette do - which according to "everyone" makes me look younger. With my weight loss I'm now a tiny size 2 (down from a 10) I'm looking better than I have in a long time. The dress will be a surprise for my husband. On formal nights he usually dresses first and we meet in the Champagne Bar. I can hardly wait to see his face when I walk into the bar.

I've promised formal pics for our daughter - one with me in my dress and wig and another with her Dad & I sporting our matching bald heads.

My daughter is coming with me to the dress shop this week for my fitting. I will get her to snap a picture of me wearing the dress and I'll attempt to post it.

This is the best $225 I've spent in ages. I've been giddy with excitement these past few days. I hope your beautiful dress (which is almost as pretty as mine:) ) brings you as much pleasure.

I got teary reading your story about the dress!! I can't wait to see pictures...it sounds beautiful! Enjoy wearing it and here's hoping you have only good health in your future:D

Oops...sorry...double post!

You can wear this dress each and every "formal" night you know...we would love it!!! Only a few of your "dear CC friends" will even know that it is a "duplicate"...and we (and everyone else I'm sure) could care less HOW many times we see you in it! LuAnn

What an awesome post!!! Your story was soooo touching to me and my prayers go out to you sweetie!

You will look so fabulous in the dress!!! I can't wait to see pictures! Im so excited for you!

May God bless you hun and have fun on your upcoming cruise!

Well I'm back from my fitting. My darling daughter is studying, so while I can't figure out how to post the pics here, I've managed to upload them onto webshots. Here is the link: http://community.webshots.com/user/kcruisers

Click on "The Dress" (of course) to see it (and me) modelling not only the new dress, but my new wig. You'll note from our avatar pic that this new "do" is very different from what I'm used to - I'm loving it!

LuAnn - I just may wear my dress twice. :) I lucked out and had shoes at home that are the same turquoise shade as the sash on the dress. These shoes are really comfy, and once the train is "whacked off", I'll be able to dance all night! Do you & Kenneth like to dance too?

Thanks again ladies for your support & kind words.

Sue

I love the dress...but I really love the smile you have when you're modeling it! You look wonderful!

The colors of the dress just sing LIFE!

Wear it in good health, and I hope you feel like royalty everytime you have it on!

~e

The dress took my breath away! It is truly beautiful and I can see why you fell in love with it. I couldn't have turned it down either. You look beautiful in it and I love your hair! Suits you and the dress. Have a great time, you deserve it.

I agree with MrsRed and Bonnie. You look awesome in your dress.

My best friend had a mastectomy last August and finished chemo last month. Her hair is just starting to grow and she is the most beautiful person even without her wig. She is looking forward to her reconstructive surgery but it will be more than a year as it is not deemed essential surgery.

I hope you and your husband have an absolutely fabulous cruise and I would love to see the look on your husband's face when you stand before him in your beautiful dress. Post pictures when you get back.

Hi Sue:) the dress is lovely! So tropical:)

Is it silk?

And I agree with the other gals, the prettiest part of the picture

is that smile on your face:D

Ok first the dress...GORGEOUS:eek: !!!! Now the wig...I can't believe it is a WIG!! You look AWESOME and oh so young;) with that beautiful smile!!!

You will look just marvelous on your cruise...ENJOY!!!!

Ollie

I have to admit, I don't think I could "pull off" wearing a dress with such bold colours...

You on the other hand, look absolutely beautiful in that dress, with the perfect complextion to wear such a complex colour scheme :D!

Truthfully, as "corny" as this may sound, the dress does look like it was made for specifically for you!

Bright, sunny and fun, while still being absolutely elegent...

Yes, you have "definitely" found "The Dress" :D ...

BTW... Thank you for sharing a "microcosm" of your story with us... Five (5) years ago my mother was beginning her own journey with Cancer.

Actually, my first cruise was with my mother two (2) yrs ago in a celebration of health (Mother and daughter cruise)...

Today, that same woman smacked me upside the head, for taking life too seriously and not remembering to enjoy every moment, even the bad ones :eek:...

One more thing I gotta add.... My mother lost all of her "bone straight", "thin", "mousy" brown hair due to her treatments as well.

Well, eventually it all grew back...

Today, she is sporting a full head of "long", "thick", "luscious", "jet black", curly hair...All she can say is "at least I have something to thank my Cancer for" :D !

KamloopsCruisers, please take care and have a wonderful time on your cruise, I hope its everything you dreamed it would be!

You really do look absolutely stunning, although, I do think its more then just the dress ;)!

CCfan!

Wow, Sue!

I just had to get involved here. I've been reading all your posts and feel like I know you!!!

That dress! Perfect. I can't imagine a more wonderful dress for a cruise. I would love a dress like that if I were thin. You look fabulous. Have a wonderful time and even though you don't know me, I'll be thinking about you, praying for you, and having only good thoughts for you!!!

Keep us posted on your husband's reaction when he sees you all dressed up. Then again, I think I can guess <lol>.

Lynn from South Florida

What a beautiful, vibrant dress! But your smile makes that dress shine! I can only imagine how wonderful you will look, and feel on the night of your cruise wearing it. I hope you will find many more wonderful occasions to wear "the dress", it was worth all the money in the world! Best of luck to you, enjoy every minute:) .

What a beautiful dress! I have seen some of your other posts while surfing around CC (are you not the one asking about an inside room for your clausterphobic mother?). Anyway, I wish that I could be there on the cruise with you JUST to see your husband's reaction when he sees you in that amazing gown. It looks SO good on you and I can't believe that's a wig you are wearing! You look so young and vibrant! You are going to have an amazing time and YOU DESERVE IT! Here's praying your health is nothing but good from now on out.

Archived