Ahoy, Spirit Class fans…

Essiesmom

Try a new adventure next year.  Margaritaville at Sea islander is coming to Tampa.  Second ship for them, one of the first, if not the first of the Spirit class, former Costa Atlantica.  They transferred her to the China fleet but she never went .  Starting June 2024 doing 4/5 days for Tampa.  Should be interesting.  Would have a different layout, but still that smaller size ship…. EM

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

According to Wikipedia the Atlantica was built in 2000, making it the first Spirit class ship. Spirit came out in 2001. 

We were on Millennium in August 2000 and when in Helsinki I got pictures of Spirit in the shipyard.  Actually, I saw the funnel and thought ‘what is a Carnival ship doing here?  They don’t sail here…’. Then I realized it was the shipyard.  EM

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

We were on Millennium in August 2000 and when in Helsinki I got pictures of Spirit in the shipyard.  Actually, I saw the funnel and thought ‘what is a Carnival ship doing here?  They don’t sail here…’. Then I realized it was the shipyard.  EM

The Spirit was in gestation 😉 

Spirit class of CCL's ships is our favorite class.  I wonder how strong CCL will be committed to maintain their long-term presence at the departure ports that can only service the smaller ships like the Spirit and Fantasy class of ships extending their access points across the country.  If CCL replaces their older and smaller ships with mega ships the ports like Baltimore may no longer be part of their operational and marketing plans.  If so, I hope upstart or smaller cruise lines fill the void.    

• Like 1

For you Margaritaville cruisers, I originally posted this on the Carnival board because there are a lot of Carnival cruisers who are fans of the Spirit class ships.  I guess someone thought it belonged here…. EM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

Definitely a work in progress.  Kvaerner Masa shipyard, Helsinki August 2000.. EM

Great pics! In the top pic I can see my future bowling alley balconies being born towards the back of the ship !

17 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I will always love the SPIRIT Class ships. They have been my favorites for years. Have cruised all four of them. 😊

You are preaching to the choir. I hope they keep them for many more years.

Question about the cabins on Spirit class ships.  In particular, the Deck 4 'Interior with window- Obstructed view'.  No concerns over the view - can go topside for that.  Wondering about the noise level coming from below in the midships/forward areas?  Most of those cabins are above the premendae and shopping areas,  The aft cabins are over a couple bars which, depending on format, may or may not be noisy to those one deck above.  

Thanks!

We have sailed staying in a midship balcony cabin without a noise issue.  The cabin was located over the Photo shop.  If you select a stateroom over the Fun Shops, I think it should be fine.  If possible, I would stay away from the piano bar area.  Also, if you select a cabin toward the ends of the lifeboats, you should have access to see beyond them.  Examples: Cabin #s, 4148 and 4149.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pr8hd said:

Question about the cabins on Spirit class ships.  In particular, the Deck 4 'Interior with window- Obstructed view'.  No concerns over the view - can go topside for that.  Wondering about the noise level coming from below in the midships/forward areas?  Most of those cabins are above the premendae and shopping areas,  The aft cabins are over a couple bars which, depending on format, may or may not be noisy to those one deck above.  

Thanks!

It is nice to get a peekaboo peek if you can. The best rooms for this are 4114, 4115, 4122, 4123, 4132, 4133, 4140, 4141, 4148, and 4149.

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations!   Assigned to 4106 (MAS doesn't let you choose the cabin online) for the now, which is right over the Tween Club and Sports Bar.  Will look into changing cabins later on.   

Absolutely agree with you there when available.

The obstructed view Interior cabins are only on deck 4.  It's $20 over standard Interior and $114 less than any other class.   Selling points are the floor-ceiling windows rather than the ususal OV window.   Cabins are larger than a standard Interior and have a couch with storage.  😀  Will bring earplugs just in case noise is a problem.   

Edited by pr8hd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that RCCL has stated they are looking at new builds of smaller ships.  I hope this forecast for smaller future builds will be in CCL's extended operations plan.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 8:30 AM, RC Dancers said:

We sailed on the Carnival Miracle a few times. Really liked that ship, especially the disco:

Carnival Miracle Dr. Frankenstein' -Lab: Disco

I agree! I've been on 1 Costa ship and 1 Carnival ship that had that same disco design with the dance floor being downstairs and a couple of overlooks above it. Can't wait to see it on Margaritaville at Sea! (Of course it's all about the DJ.)