TAP Portugal

Pearl64

We need to fly from Honfleur to Lisbon on June 13. We are leaving a Road Scholar tour one day early to be in Lisbon one day prior to our Oceania cruise. I have found flights on TAP from Orly to Lisbon that are reasonable and fit the times. How is this airline? Should we book afternoon flight as opposed to early evening in case we get bumped or something else might happen. We world have a car service take us from Honfleur to Orly. We will have luggage: two checked luggage and two carryons plus a CPAP machine. I can try to eliminate one carryon but I don’t think I can consolidate any further. Are we able to use our United miles as TAP is part of Star Alliance? 

Thank you for any assistance. I did try to search without much success and the TAP website. 

I've flown TAP a couple of times, both regionally and longhaul. They're fine. Nothing great, nothing bad. As far as using miles - yes, both UA and TP are Star Alliance, but that's no guarantee that TAP will take UA miles on the day you need to fly, or that it will be a worthwhile use of miles. 

Are you limiting yourself only to TAP/Star Alliance? I ask because Paris-CDG is roughly the same drive time from Honfleur and that opens up Air France and easyJet for CDG-LIS. As always, make sure you do your math on full cost of ticket + seat selection + baggage (carry on and checked). 

Edited by Zach1213

I fly TAP fairly regularly and as @Zach1213 says they are generally fine. 

I will just add a couple of observations: firstly, their punctuality record is somewhat south of stellar but since you're arriving in Lisbon the day before your cruise that shouldn't be an issue. But given this, I'd say booking an afternoon flight rather than an evening one would be a good move.

Regarding hand luggage, they DO weigh it at the gate and WILL make you gate check it if it weighs more than 8 kg. You're also entitled to a personal item that must fit under the seat in front of you and not weigh more than 2 kg.

Your date of travel is a local holiday in Lisbon, which may affect some services once you arrive.

If you were to look at easyJet from CDG as Zach suggested, triple check the baggage rules so you don't fall foul of them. As a typical European low-cost carrier they can be brutal.

Thank you for the responses. My original idea was CDG and Air France. CDG always gives us issues but that was in connecting. I am trying to juggle time frames to give us wiggle room to make the flight. I just worry about possible strikes. I will let this mull a few days before I book. Again, thank you. I can always get reliable answers here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

I just worry about possible strikes.

I mean, the French will strike on any day ending in "y"...you just need to plan the best you can and hope it works out. But, really, the vast majority of the time, Air France operates just fine. And, often times, a strike will be by entities like airport workers and transport workers which would likely impact TAP and easyJet too.

But, seriously, the odds of you being impacted by a strike, while real (especially in France), is still quite small. 

(Also, Portugal is no stranger to strikes either)

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sambamama said:

Also be aware that international carry ons must be smaller than US ones and some airlines enforce this vigorously, especially if you are in economy. 

Didn't you mean to say "might need to be smaller"?

There is no "international" standard, and each airline has their own requirements.

This is even the case within the USA, as WN has larger size allowances compared to other carriers.

Nothing replaces doing your own research for YOUR specific itinerary.