Rhine ? Two different times Mid-July or late October.

kayakcove

I am looking at cruises on the Rhine but our times available are different in terms of crowds, temperatures and possibility water levels  2024 Mid-July or late October,  I have identified a couple of different sailings with very similar pricing.

We also want to spend a few days pre or post in Switzerland or Lake Como areas which maybe more impacted by weather than our time on the river.

What are your thoughts, which period to focus on and reasons why?

The problem with July is that it could be quite hot.  On the other hand, Swiss mountains will be getting colder in October.  For me, I don't enjoy myself all that much when I am touring around all day in 90 degree (or even more!) heat, so I would pick October.  We recently completed a Danube cruise with Gate1 and we purposely went in late May (ended early June).  It was plenty warm (upper 70s), and I was in shorts pretty much the entire trip.  We did a Rhine cruise with Avalon in June a few years back and it was also plenty warm.  A lot of the tours on these cruises are walking tours--you can wear a coat if its a bit cool, but there is little escape from the heat.  As an aside, if you go to Switzerland, Interlaken is my favorite (mountains and lakes!). 

• Like 1

Hello kayakcove,

17 hours ago, kayakcove said:

I am looking at cruises on the Rhine but our times available are different in terms of crowds, temperatures and possibility water levels  2024 Mid-July or late October

As regards the temperatures I agree with JordanF. It is quite a difference between July and October and you will need to decide if you are comfortable with excursions in hot weather. As regards water levels October tends to be more of a problem than July but it is not a big difference really and I would not base the decision on that. Landscape: July is full bloom of course, late October sees autumn foliage that depending on the severity of storms may have reduced substantially in number. Daylight: a lot less in late October and daylight saving time ends on the last Sunday in October so you will be eating dinner in darkness then if not before.

Fewer crowds than in July but I do not see this as a problem in general anyway on the Rhine.

Food: if your company does seasonal food a lot or you want to eat at restaurants on land, consider the different seasons perhaps. But I would regard it as a minor consideration.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Food: if your company does seasonal food a lot or you want to eat at restaurants on land, consider the different seasons perhaps. But I would regard it as a minor consideration.

I am focused on AMAwaterways who I think does try and offer menu options for the locality. Is your thinking that local fresh items would be limited late October?

Where I live July is normal mid 90'sF and humid. 

I appreciate your comments on crowds not being that big of an issue. Thank you for your input.

We did the Rhine in early October, and ended with 2 nights in Lucerne in mid-October.  Folks were still dining outside along the river in Lucerne when we were there.  Weather along the Rhine was raining a few days, but gorgeous in Lucerne.

I would never sail in July for two reasons:

--too darn hot

--after being forced to vacation in the summer (as a teacher) when I retired I vowed to travel in the spring or fall, when school is back in session!

22 minutes ago, kayakcove said:

I am focused on AMAwaterways who I think does try and offer menu options for the locality. Is your thinking that local fresh items would be limited late October?

Where I live July is normal mid 90'sF and humid. 

I appreciate your comments on crowds not being that big of an issue. Thank you for your input.

If you don't mind it hot and humid, then either time will be great.  This is a terrific cruise.  A highlight for us was the afternoon spent cruising by a large number of old castles. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, kayakcove said:

Fresh produce in this day and age is not much reduced in choice in October but the seasons do show in supermarkets and in restaurants. You would not eat Döppekoche (Rhenish potato cake) in Summer and satsumas are not that readily available, in October cherry cake is not that easy to get but apple cake is plentiful again. As an example.

As sharkster states, one can sit outside in October without feeling too uncomfortable and it can be sunny and pleasant.

I agree with there being fewer crowds in October in touristy places, generally I can accept the crowds though in July, do not find them too bad. Perhaps Strasbourg suffers from summer crowds, I have not been there. You get fewer young people and families in October but bare in mind that most children get a week's holiday in October so there will be tourists - and day-trippers of course any time.

1 hour ago, JordanF said:

A highlight for us was the afternoon spent cruising by a large number of old castles.

That made me think of one aspect against October. I have read reports of people experiencing the first autumn mists sailing past the castle in the Rhine Gorge in the morning. They were disappointed with the visibility. A July sailing would be fine. However, if you can sail the Rhine Gorge in the afternoon an October sailing would more likely be as pleasant as in July - unless it is pouring down. And that it can be in July as well if you are unlucky.

You could have a look at the direction of sailing and when the company puts the Rhine Gorge in the itinerary.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

However, if you can sail the Rhine Gorge in the afternoon an October sailing would more likely be as pleasant as in July

About that--we could tell from our itinerary that it was an afternoon sail because we had a stop in a little town that morning (Koblenz, I think)--maybe you can glean a similar clue.  But I'm really adding this as an excuse to add some pictures from that part of the trip. 🙂

2016-06-07 08.58.08 (1).jpg

DSC00281.JPG

DSC00260.JPG

DSC00256 (1).JPG

• Like 2

Lovely photos. Anyone got any autumn ones for comparison for the OP? The Rhine Gorge sure is the most scenic part but other areas are also beautiful or at least interesting. Call me unusual, but I would love to see the Wesseling chemical works near Cologne lit up at night sailing past on a river cruise ship.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Call me unusual, but I would love to see the Wesseling chemical works near Cologne lit up at night sailing past on a river cruise ship.

notamermaid

Not quite night, but,,, (also threw in a random sunset pic...)

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00195.JPG

DSC00188.JPG

• Like 3

Compare your sail dates with holiday dates. We had great weather Oct. into Nov.,  No crowds. Daylight savings ends in last week of Oct. and  Nov.1 was a holiday. Most everything was closed. Happy sailing.

17 hours ago, JordanF said:

About that--we could tell from our itinerary that it was an afternoon sail because we had a stop in a little town that morning (Koblenz, I think)--maybe you can glean a similar clue.  But I'm really adding this as an excuse to add some pictures from that part of the trip. 🙂

2016-06-07 08.58.08 (1).jpg

DSC00281.JPG

DSC00260.JPG

DSC00256 (1).JPG

Magnificent weather and Photos, so different to our passage on 27 July this year, I was surprised at the photos we got despite the drizzle. Nevertheless we enjoyed the cruise. It just goes to show that you cannot predict the weather in northern Europe these years, the only given is that the nights have drawn in at the end of October.

P1130916.JPG

P1130794.JPG

P1130770.JPG

• Like 1