Livorno - late back to ship

texascane

Wanted to share my experience just in case others are in a similar situation.

In Livorno we took a taxi to the train station and then on to Lucca.  Had a fun time and after lunch grabbed the train to Pisa.  Walked over to Pisa and climbed the tower and checked out the other monuments.  It was difficult to find a taxi in the exit we used but someone was being dropped off and we grabbed it.  We rushed into the train station as there was 2 minutes before the last departure that would get us back to Livorno in time. We got our ticket back to Livorno jumped on the train and we went the wrong direction.  Had to travel about 20 minutes the wrong way and got out at the first stop.  It was a small town in the middle of nowhere I think called Pontedera.  Even if the train left at that moment we would have been late to the ship but the next train back was in 2 hours.  So walked outside and tried to find a taxi and none were there.  Tried lyft / uber and there were none.  Called the taxi phone number posted and no one answered.  Wandered around a few blocks and nothing.  I ended up seeing a few guys milling around outside and asked them if they knew how to get to Livorno.  They didnt speak english so I had to use the translator on my phone.  After a few minutes they realized they could make a profit and offered to drive me - 160 Euro.  I was stuck so I took the deal and based on the gps still would get back 15 minutes after all aboard time.  I didnt even know the exact name of the port as I believe there were two gps spots for the industrial port.  I search the royal site in the car and never could get a specific location  We left and they immediately stopped to get gas - lost another 5 minutes.  Not feeling great so I activated the cell service on my phone in case royal called to check on me.    Finally made it back to the port but it is industrial and no clear signs where to find royal.  They called - luckily I had my phone on and I said I was near the port and would be there in 5 minutes.  We found a cruise ship - wrong one.  Had to ask directions from multiple people and finally after getting lost 2 more times royal called again.  I told them I would be there in 5 minutes again and they said they were leaving if I didnt make it.    Finally we found the way to the pier but there was a toll booth with no one working.  The ship was to far to walk - we would never make it.  The guys wanted to get paid and I had no Euros.  This was our last stop and we had spent everything - I hadnt known this when we made the deal.  I had $200 and he looked at me like I was crazy.  Pulled up the currency exchange on my phone showing it was $180 so he accepted.  Tense moment there.  But we are still standing trapped outside of the port, have no way in and have already exceeded the time provided on the second phone call.  Not looking good and my mind is thinking how to get a train and where to stay in Rome - the last and final port.  At that moment a taxi leaving the port comes through and we stop him and convince him to take us to the ship.  Go through the gate, past another security gate and there is the ship.  About 4 royal guys waiting outside with a small plank.  Give the driver $20 crowd above cheers as we get out of the taxi.  On the boat, plank pulled and the ship is off.

All in all I think we were 45 minutes after the all aboard time.  That port is chaos to find so make sure you plan ahead if making your own plans.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for posting this. It is helpful to read about a very close call. I’m glad you made it. I always plan port days on our own because I don’t like larger tour groups. I also enjoy the freedom to use our time how we want. However that does carry a risk like you just described. I always try to have a backup plan and also I’m thinking about what resources are available if we get in a bind. If we cruise long enough there will eventually be a time when a flat tire or blocked road will get the best of us. 

Definitely a cautionary tale, and a good reminder that it’s always sensible to note down the port agent’s number so you can let them know if there’s a problem. That could have ended very badly if they hadn’t been able to contact you.

But good on you for doing your own thing. Ignore the inevitable “that’s why we only take ship tours” comments. Life’s too short to be ripped off for dull, sanitised bus tours. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, texascane said:

Wanted to share my experience just in case others are in a similar situation.

In Livorno we took a taxi to the train station and then on to Lucca.  Had a fun time and after lunch grabbed the train to Pisa.  Walked over to Pisa and climbed the tower and checked out the other monuments.  It was difficult to find a taxi in the exit we used but someone was being dropped off and we grabbed it.  We rushed into the train station as there was 2 minutes before the last departure that would get us back to Livorno in time. We got our ticket back to Livorno jumped on the train and we went the wrong direction.  Had to travel about 20 minutes the wrong way and got out at the first stop.  It was a small town in the middle of nowhere I think called Pontedera.  Even if the train left at that moment we would have been late to the ship but the next train back was in 2 hours.  So walked outside and tried to find a taxi and none were there.  Tried lyft / uber and there were none.  Called the taxi phone number posted and no one answered.  Wandered around a few blocks and nothing.  I ended up seeing a few guys milling around outside and asked them if they knew how to get to Livorno.  They didnt speak english so I had to use the translator on my phone.  After a few minutes they realized they could make a profit and offered to drive me - 160 Euro.  I was stuck so I took the deal and based on the gps still would get back 15 minutes after all aboard time.  I didnt even know the exact name of the port as I believe there were two gps spots for the industrial port.  I search the royal site in the car and never could get a specific location  We left and they immediately stopped to get gas - lost another 5 minutes.  Not feeling great so I activated the cell service on my phone in case royal called to check on me.    Finally made it back to the port but it is industrial and no clear signs where to find royal.  They called - luckily I had my phone on and I said I was near the port and would be there in 5 minutes.  We found a cruise ship - wrong one.  Had to ask directions from multiple people and finally after getting lost 2 more times royal called again.  I told them I would be there in 5 minutes again and they said they were leaving if I didnt make it.    Finally we found the way to the pier but there was a toll booth with no one working.  The ship was to far to walk - we would never make it.  The guys wanted to get paid and I had no Euros.  This was our last stop and we had spent everything - I hadnt known this when we made the deal.  I had $200 and he looked at me like I was crazy.  Pulled up the currency exchange on my phone showing it was $180 so he accepted.  Tense moment there.  But we are still standing trapped outside of the port, have no way in and have already exceeded the time provided on the second phone call.  Not looking good and my mind is thinking how to get a train and where to stay in Rome - the last and final port.  At that moment a taxi leaving the port comes through and we stop him and convince him to take us to the ship.  Go through the gate, past another security gate and there is the ship.  About 4 royal guys waiting outside with a small plank.  Give the driver $20 crowd above cheers as we get out of the taxi.  On the boat, plank pulled and the ship is off.

All in all I think we were 45 minutes after the all aboard time.  That port is chaos to find so make sure you plan ahead if making your own plans.  

How did they have your phone number?

Yes I gave them my phone number when checking in.  Normally I have the service off while international but I turned it on just in case Royal called before the ship left.  Luckily they gave me two calls and a little leeway.  The second call I could see the ship - but I just couldnt get there.  That port was very difficult to navigate.

I believe the person calling was from Miami, I believe I had remembered a 305 area code and they relayed my information back to the ship.

Edited by texascane

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 10:38 PM, texascane said:

there was 2 minutes before the last departure that would get us back to Livorno in time

Whew, that was tense reading! Good thing you had your phone activated with international service. It looks to me that depending on the very last possible train to get back was the miscalculation that led to the adventure. As poster Dan83 mentions, it’s best to have a backup plan.

I have not usually carried the port agent phone number when I am in port. But I will be doing that from now on.

On our last port DH fell and we were disembarked to the hospital in Portland ME.  [he is ok now--after breaking 6 ribs and surgery].  I can't tell you how much the port agent helped us.  He kept in touch with me in the ER.  When it became obvious we would not make it back to the ship, he contacted the ship for us and collected our luggage. He took our luggage to the hotel I had made a reservation.  They told him I did not have a reservation.   He came to the ER to take a screen shot of my reservation and returned to the hotel to straighten it all out.  

When I got there late that night, I had my luggage and a hotel room for the night.  [priceless]

If passengers contacted him in this situation he could have met them at the entrance to the port and gotten them easily to the ship. JMHO The port agent has a direct number for the ship.  

Not criticizing Texascane.  Just mentioning there is someone out there to help you. I had no idea what this person did. 

• Like 7